Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
930 dead on the road!

Hi Guys,

I took my daughter out for a run last night; she is 4 years old. The 930 left me at one point at a stop light!

Here is what happened:

The car started running erratic, upshifts caused it to sputter and want to die. I "think" I heard an odd whine, or maybe a rotating sound from the engine compartment; hard to tell as I run a Rarely8 GT3 exhaust! At a traffic light it died on take off. Refused to restart, as luck would have it a few people wanted to push the 930! I managed with effort to get it to restart! On return home I could smell an "electrical" smell .. I least I think so.

Background info; some months back a fuel pump went out. Had some issues figuring it all out. I had the CDi rebuilt, and the fuel pump was replaced.

This issue was intermittent to start; I figured some bad gas? On full throttle upshifts the car was running great, so I figured I was getting fuel. ... I am thinking ignition? Any ideas? When I say sputtering it was more like bucking and took some throttle work just to keep it going!

I am heading out of town for a bit, so on my return as hope Fiske has pulled their finger out and delivers my new Fuchs! Most likely I am thinking the old girl will need to get towed to Ralph's ... again! Any ideas would be great!

Thanks,

Chris

At least the old 914/6 is dead reliable! And my little girl likes it too!
Old 07-30-2017, 06:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
First check for fuel and spark. Could just be the green wire on the distributor. When was the last time you did a tune-up including fuel filter? I would check all spark plug wires, plugs, cap and rotor.

Do you have an AFR gage? System fuel pressure gages?

Rahl
Old 07-30-2017, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
check all the relays under the hood are pushed in all the way and the electrical connections in the engine bay are snugged up. I had a similar issue it sounds like and went around and made sure all my connections were snugged up and fired up no issues!
'79 930 turbo RoW - Oak Green Metallic - k27-7200 - Kokeln Intercooler - RarlyL8 headers/muffler - Leask WuR - Tial 46mm - Rebel racing sphericals front/rear - ER Monoballs front/rear - ER adjustable spring plates - 29/23mm TBs - Wevo engine mounts - Rebel racing transmission mounts
'99 4Runner Sr5
Old 07-30-2017, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

check the grounding at the body from ignition. The common grounding point from is notorious for building up resistance once the engine warms up. Once the car warms up....will just die until it cools off. Had an expensive tow, only to have it start in the driveway as it rolled off the flatbed.
Rick
Old 07-30-2017, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I had a tough time finding an electrical issue last year, It turned out to be a corroded fuse that looked ok. I replaced ALL the fuses and she fired right up. A few accesories I didnt know I had started working again as well.

A long shot I know but may be worth the 8$ in new fuses.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

a good twist of the fuses can usually fix a bad fuse connection

check for spark very easy.
no spark, make sure you hear the cd whine.
whine is good, probably coil.

with key on push down on the mixture adjuster rod. you should hear the injectors squeal from injecting fuel.

is the intercooler bolted down. boost WILL blow the IC off.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[] RUNNING:[_] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [_] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 07-31-2017, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
IF it feel like its losing power as soon as boost is hitting perhaps it is a boost leak. I had a similar problem, found the leak and problem solved.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
Check your fuel pump relays - buy new ones and put them in. I screwed around for 2 years with similar problems to yours in my 86.

The thing that made the biggest difference for me was replacing the rubber air intake elbow between the air flow meter and the turbo down pipe. my old one was soft enough that it would collapse under vacuum and the car would fall flat on its face.
Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 07-31-2017, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Hi,

Thanks for the help, I have an extra fuel pump relay just in case. I carry it in the car. I had a quick check of them and a look at the fuses. Nothing yet.

Will check the grounds next! Out of town for a while now, so she will sit. That will prevent the wife from driving it anyhow!

Regards,

Chris
Old 08-03-2017, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: