Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Old car guy.....

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiadj View Post
I just purchased this K&N filter; it did not work for me. First; it wouldn't fit until I trimmed the engine compartment foam sound mat and trimmed off a little of the K&N's rubber ID flange. Finally I actually squeezed it over the sensor plate and into position. When I began tightening down the large hose clamp it pulled part of the rubber ID flange away from sensor plate's rim towards the center of the sensor plate Venturi. The sensor plate ridge diameter is too shallow, any effort to clamp the rubber diameter around the sensor plate diameter will force it to roll over the sensor plate top diameter edge.

I would be worried if I actually got it to clamp; there's a very good chance it would not stay in position.
I had clearance problems with the k&n cone on my 3.0 SC. I picked up this used Mr. Gasket Deep-Dish Air Cleaner 6 1/2" Dia Round White Paper Element 4346 for about $20. Mounted a 0.5L Baffled Polished Aluminium Oil Catch Can With 19mm 3/4" Inlets + Drain Plug | eBay and ran the hoses to the center of the air cleaner. Some modifications are needed but I love the space this provides. No more need to remove the mailbox and intercooler for adjustments.
81 SC Euro WB, 930/51, 3.0l Bored & Stroked to 3.2l, Ported Polished Twin Plug heads, Ruf IC, K27 7006, Powerhaus headers, Zork, 009 inj, Alum inj blks, 044 pump, BLwur, Mocal Oil cooler, LM2, 930 4 sp LSD, 930 Brembo brakes, Retroair a/c, Euromeisters.....
2003 BMW Z4 Daily Driver & Autocross car.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiadj View Post
I just purchased this K&N filter; it did not work for me. First; it wouldn't fit until I trimmed the engine compartment foam sound mat and trimmed off a little of the K&N's rubber ID flange. Finally I actually squeezed it over the sensor plate and into position. When I began tightening down the large hose clamp it pulled part of the rubber ID flange away from sensor plate's rim towards the center of the sensor plate Venturi. The sensor plate ridge diameter is too shallow, any effort to clamp the rubber diameter around the sensor plate diameter will force it to roll over the sensor plate top diameter edge.

I would be worried if I actually got it to clamp; there's a very good chance it would not stay in position.

Also, I had to put a notch ( a 'V' ) in the rubber base of the K&N Cone for the CO adjustment screw housing to sit straight up, as well as slide up and down easily.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Picture of the notch:

Old 08-07-2017, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Capt Bob

Garage
That works...trim a little slot and there you go. Looks like a good fit.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: