Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Help with vacuum line routing

Can someone tell me exactly where each of these vacuum lines go. I looked at the diagram and do not completely understand it I know that this connects to the distributor and then there is also a selenoid at the rear of the engine with two connections that is also involved. Can someone identify or possibly posts pics as to exactly where each of the three lines go
Thanks
Old 08-06-2017, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Anybody?
Old 08-07-2017, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I have an 86 with a few minor mods.

There are two vacuum lines connected to the pot on the side of the distributor. The LHS Red line is the Advance Line, and goes to the Thermo Valve (TV) mounted on the LHS of the crankcase breather cover at the front of the engine under the air metering unit and thence to the connection on the rear of the throttle body housing BENEATH the butterfly valve (Port V). The TV is closed until the engine reaches approximately 150 deg f, retarding the ignition, letting the catalytic converter warm up quicker and reduce emissions. The Thermo valve is ok to remove from the circuit (I have).

Blue (right side) is the Retard Line, and goes to the vacuum solenoid Thermo Time Switch (TTS, you show a couple of those solenoid valves in your picture) mounted on the LHS of the BOV housing, and thence to the front port on the throttle body which is ABOVE the butterfly valve (port I). This one has vacuum on it at idle. When the engine is at temperature, boost pressure retards the timing to avoid detonation. The TTS disables vacuum retard during warm up which raises idle speed and is part of the cold start routine that lasts about a minute. Don't remove the TTS from the vacuum line as it can make cold starts hard.

The vacuum solenoid-valve (aka Change Over Valve) is plumbed thusly:
-Nipple underneath the electrical connector to the throttle body
-Nipple opposite the electrical connector vents to atmosphere
-Nipple on top at 90 degrees goes to the distributor

In your picture the valve you want to keep is on the left of the picture. I'm pretty sure the one on the right is part of emissions and if you've removed the air pump, spider, etc etc you don't need it. I note the TTS in your picture has a red and blue vacuum line on it. That is wrong. Don't let the colors confuse you.

The 1986 vacuum retard pot has nothing to do with vacuum advance or boost retard and when the motor is above 1500 rpms the outer edge of the throttle butterfly has gone past the little hole in the throttle body wall for it and there is no vacuum retard anymore.

Do some searches for hose plan you should find it. The stock layout is well documented. However when you remove the emissions junk you'll remove at least two of those vacuum solenoids and a bunch of hose.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you for the reply. I am currently returning the car to factory form and putting all of the original equipment back on which is why I am putting these back on
Old 08-07-2017, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: