Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Capt Bob

Garage
Turbo flange bolts

While out for a drive last night, one of my flange bolts connecting the exhaust to turbo charger inlet, either vibrated loose, or fractured and fell out on the road. I could hear the exhaust leak and loss of boost.

After things cooled down, I found the other bolts loose as well. I'm thinking of replacing all four.

I have looked thru the forum and have seen many different variations of these flange bolts.

Anyone have any recommendations? The photo attached is one that I removed to use as an example when I go to purchase new.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The nuts should be copper lock nuts.

Last edited by scottrx7tt; 08-16-2017 at 05:56 AM..
Old 08-16-2017, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Old 08-16-2017, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I've replaced all of the exhaust system bolts from the exhaust port studs to the last one on a muffler hanger with stainless on every car I've had and they worked... no problems... just perfect.
Also use ultra high temp nickel based anti seize on the bolt and nut threads because it's cheap, doesn't burn off, might take all of 60 seconds to apply, and always helps.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Fairman -- glad you found some of that nickel-based anti-seize, it is a huge help if you ever have to take exhaust fasteners apart again.

We only use stainless socket head cap screws (Allen head), M10x1.5x40mm.
Copper coated locknuts, with the added benefit of having a reduced hex wrench size.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 08-16-2017, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Capt Bob

Garage
Stainless sounds like a plan. I have nickel-based anti-seize at home so I should be able to put it back together tonight.

No issues with the stainless and all the heat?
Old 08-16-2017, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I found it at a local auto parts store. Looks like Amazon has it too.
I learned about it from you years ago.
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-77124-Nickel-Anti-Seize-Lubricant/dp/B007NJOEAI?th=1

I've used the 12mm wrench size copper plated steel exhaust nuts too. The B&B header wrench for those nuts works good until it bends. To fix that I've used acetylene and oxygen torches and steel coat hangers to thicken up the part of the wrench that bends. Then dunk it in cold water while it's still red hot to make it stiffer.

The car is gone but I still have that wrench. B&B probably has them too. A combination open end and swivel socket wrench is also nice to have for those nuts.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Felpro n-7000 is about the best for high heat anti sieze. N-5000 is also pretty good. Both will also work with stainless steel.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 08-16-2017, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: