Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to cmcfaul Send a message via Yahoo to cmcfaul Send a message via Skype™ to cmcfaul
Turbo kits on ebay

Since no one has an off the shelf kit for turbocharging a 3.2 and the components seem to add up to roughly $4 k + (used). Has anyone attempted to use one of the kits on ebay? they are incredibly cheap....inexpensive.

Chris
89 Carerra
Old 08-23-2017, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
From personal experience and others that I've read, I would be very cautious buying something like a turbo kit off ebay. There are stories of bad fitment or just no compatibility at all and huge overall quality issues (it's likely really inexpensive for a reason). Unless you've read reviews of that particular kit, know someone who had bought it, or trust the seller; I would stay away. Just my 2 cents; other members will likely chime in as well. Best of luck!
Old 08-23-2017, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Without knowing too much more than the headline, I wouldnt want to spend my hard-earned on something like that; An acquaintance of mine who sells many thousands of 's of Bosch parts a year has mentioned numerous times of counterfeit parts coming back to him (of course, not the ones he's supplied)...they look identical, packaged the same...they just fail very quickly, and all originate from eBay.

Plus, I like to have that relationship with the guys who a) actively contribute to forums like this, b) really do know their stuff and c) will stand by any problems or issues. TurboKraft in my case, where Chris has frankly made my whole project possible.

Just my 2p....
1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo project here... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-syvecs-life-racing-engine-management.html
On Instagram (along with other stuff) as @spenny_.b #spennybengineproject
Old 08-23-2017, 01:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

If you want a very cheap turbo that's supposedly reliable, try VS Racing. You can get just about any turbo from him for about $300.

If you want a relatively cheap reliable, high-quality turbo, buy Borg-Warner.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

i had WAY less than $4k in piecing together my turbo set up. Use stock 3.0 or 3.2 heat exchangers and add the 930 j- pipe. There are plenty of nice usable k27 or 3ldz turbos for less than $400. Factory wastegates are becoming more affordable these days too.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Several years ago, someone on this forum (I think he was in South Africa) decided to throw on a cheap turbo kit -- and he documented the whole process.
His aim was to prove/disprove that a cheapo kit was viable for our cars, that it could be done cheaply, that it would produce a big HP increase, AND it could be done quickly! (IIRC, his aim was to get it done in a weekend or so).

I will try to find that posting.
It was great in that he did it. A true inspiration. Even better because he was not a full time mechanic, did not own a speedshop, was not a Porsche expert, and did not have access to fancy equipment.

He did meet a few obstacles/problems, but nothing that was insurmountable or which did not plague the more expensive kits.

However, I think his turbo lasted only a few months -- but I don't know if the diagnosis was the turbo itself, or oil feed/rerun, or the other problems that plague even the high dollar installations.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
I saw this video some time back. 11 mins. that will explain some potential issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFLqaSNp45Q
Old 08-24-2017, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexm930 View Post
I saw this video some time back. 11 mins. that will explain some potential issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFLqaSNp45Q
Alex -- Great post! Thanks.
Bottom lines for me:
1) You NEED a dyno tuner;
2) The bolt on kit DID work, although it was not entirely bolt on -- requiring the usual fitting and changing/modifying stuff -- something that all Pelicaners expect to do ANYWAYS.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Pick any two: Good, Fast, Cheap
Old 08-24-2017, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
Pick all 3 from the Chinese once you find the right source!
Old 08-24-2017, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
Pick all 3 from the Chinese once you find the right source!
Tippy,
I have to agree with you.
Look at all the Asian cars that run turbos, and look how long they last. Forever.

In fact, most buyers do not even know if their car has a turbo, because there is zero difference in the maintenance between turbo and NA.

I really think the price code has been broken on turbos, and the dollar figure attached to the mystique has been broken -- much like my favorite example of 4-function calculators in 1968 which were over $200, but quickly came down to now, where the functions are endless and they are GIVEN AWAY as promotional gifts (or $1 at the Dollar store).
Old 08-24-2017, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Along the same lines in re. to the Chinese products, here's something I found on Pelican from back in 2007, regarding one of our forum members and his visit to China factories!
Chinese Manufactured Wastegate and BOV
Old 08-24-2017, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Interesting thread you found baloo.

The last post sums it up well!
Old 08-24-2017, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to cmcfaul Send a message via Yahoo to cmcfaul Send a message via Skype™ to cmcfaul
Just such a huge delta in costs. Ebay kits are under a grand, new, with intercooler. New, pieced together kits here can be crazy expensive. I am a few months away from pulling the trigger on this. Doing the homework at this point.

Chris

89 Carerra
Old 08-25-2017, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Go for it. What have you got to lose? After all, it's just a 1989 Carrera...
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 08-25-2017, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcfaul View Post
Just such a huge delta in costs. Ebay kits are under a grand, new, with intercooler. New, pieced together kits here can be crazy expensive. I am a few months away from pulling the trigger on this. Doing the homework at this point.

Chris

89 Carerra
Chris,
Good luck and keep us posted.
I have a previous post from 2013 or so, when I started gathering all the parts for my conversion. I have YET to do the conversion, although, for sure, I have 99% of the parts (maybe I have 100%, but there's ALWAYS something overlooked or that breaks and needs to be replaced).

Do this all (gather all possible parts, including such things as clamps, bolts, gaskets, etc.). Aim to get it all done in one or two weekends. Otherwise, you will end up being yet-another-stalled-turbo-conversion-statistic.
I.E. - get it done and out on the road. Worry about updating or improving things LATER -- but get it converted and going as fast as you can! Worry about improved headers, exhaust, sensors, etc., later on.

Mine stalled when my gas tank shed rust debris and clogged the fuel pump, which then burned out.

So, painfully, it has sat in the garage, untouched except to make a move (towed on a trailer) from VA to KY. Meanwhile, other shiny-er objects have interceded, and it sits, and sits, and gnaws occasionally at my conscience!

Wish I lived near Tippy in Austin. I'm sure he'd kick my ass and give me the boost to my enthusiasm to git-er-dun.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Were you a Dorki? (VA PCA chapter).

I am also in VA

Chris
89 Carerra
Old 08-25-2017, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo View Post
Chris,
Good luck and keep us posted.
I have a previous post from 2013 or so, when I started gathering all the parts for my conversion. I have YET to do the conversion, although, for sure, I have 99% of the parts (maybe I have 100%, but there's ALWAYS something overlooked or that breaks and needs to be replaced).

Do this all (gather all possible parts, including such things as clamps, bolts, gaskets, etc.). Aim to get it all done in one or two weekends. Otherwise, you will end up being yet-another-stalled-turbo-conversion-statistic.
I.E. - get it done and out on the road. Worry about updating or improving things LATER -- but get it converted and going as fast as you can! Worry about improved headers, exhaust, sensors, etc., later on.

Mine stalled when my gas tank shed rust debris and clogged the fuel pump, which then burned out.

So, painfully, it has sat in the garage, untouched except to make a move (towed on a trailer) from VA to KY. Meanwhile, other shiny-er objects have interceded, and it sits, and sits, and gnaws occasionally at my conscience!

Wish I lived near Tippy in Austin. I'm sure he'd kick my ass and give me the boost to my enthusiasm to git-er-dun.
Yep, sometimes perfection leads to nothing.

Get it together and improve later.

Works for me too.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: