Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Boost Abuser

I'm late to this party but have you checked to see if your car still has the check ball in the oil feed line to the turbo.I had oil pooling in the turbo after shut down when I installed a set of headers. The smaller oil catch can didn't leave anywhere for the oil to go but into the turbo. Checked and during the engine rebuild they left the check ball out and that's all it was.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Did not even think about that.Great point.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2017, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Yep, he's (the OP, Steve) has verified that the ball () is present.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Boost Abuser

Cool, I just thought I'd throw it out there since I didn't see the original post.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
The problem appears to be that the rebuilder can not fix it.
The first two rebuilds leaked badly from both turbine and compressor sides.
The last rebuilds only leaking from compressor side.
The amount is less this time after they machined the seal plate and sleeved the ring area back to original spec.
Going back for a fifth time and they are going to flow test it and send a video. However unless the turbo can be heated to running temp I can not see the point unless it leaks from cold start up for them.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Gutted for you man. It is s..t like that, that makes you want to give up.
Something weird going on because you had no issue til a hunk of stuff went thru the turbo.
Hang in there.
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 09-15-2017, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Totally agree about the "gutted . . . can make you want to give up".

A few years back, I was overhauling a Ducati 748R engine for our upcoming roadracing endurance season (time crunch deal) - it needed a new crankshaft as the rod bearings were used past their limit . . . Ducati sent me not one, but two bad cranks, and to make matters worse, the flaws in them had been identified by someone prior to shipping as they were circled with red marker. These were parts coming from Italy and being delivered to a local bike shop that sponsored the team. The third crank was good (was checked by a machine shop that did a custom balance on it since I opted not to use OEM, Pankl ti-rods for endurance racing).

And those are not "cheap" cranks - dealer cost was about $1600. Some poor schmuck from Ducati North America flew here to pick-up the blem cranks.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

It doesn't help when you can't trust the new bits. Some parts of the process are a given - well - they used to be until China started making about everything for everything. Sounds like Italy had the jump on them tho. How do you think Chinese Ducati bits would work :-)
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 09-15-2017, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Ha ha - good point, Alan (different than good tip ).
Old 09-15-2017, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

SBK, I will tell you a short story, in case it helps.
I bought my 930 as a road car out of Japan auction. It was destined for the track - but basically in standard form, and ideal - new engine refresh , goes like a rocket etc etc. When it came off the boat I couldn't even get it started and had to send for a trailer. It took me several weeks if not months to get it started. Then the problems really began. I received it around Oct one yr, and planned to be on the track by Xmas - pull all the weight out, fit cage/harness etc and good to go. My previous track beast was an XU1 which went to Aus and I seriously regretted parting with it. Every time I found a problem with the 930, and fixed it, it would uncover another problem - eg engine running, take for drive - clutch clunk, and gearbox synchros. Took about a week full time to get the wiring back to stock - jumped relays, bypassed bits etc. And then all the elec issues surfaced. Never even seen a 930 before this. Engine, gearbox, clutch and elec issues pretty well covered it. Oh, forgot the rust that had been bogged and freshly painted.
So, there was a point after about a year, and 3 engine outs, I still didn't have a running car and still trying to diagnose issues. I wondered how much it would be worth as parts and could I even sell it like it was. Got there in the end - just had the wrong December.
And I could not have done it without these guys on Pelican. They saved my life and my 930 many times over. I doubt I will be selling this one. Wished I had kept the XU1 too - but hey, can't have everything.
Keep going. One day you will forget this bit.
Regards
Alan
Old 09-15-2017, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L View Post
SBK, I will tell you a short story, in case it helps.
I bought my 930 as a road car out of Japan auction. It was destined for the track - but basically in standard form, and ideal - new engine refresh , goes like a rocket etc etc. When it came off the boat I couldn't even get it started and had to send for a trailer. It took me several weeks if not months to get it started. Then the problems really began. I received it around Oct one yr, and planned to be on the track by Xmas - pull all the weight out, fit cage/harness etc and good to go. My previous track beast was an XU1 which went to Aus and I seriously regretted parting with it. Every time I found a problem with the 930, and fixed it, it would uncover another problem - eg engine running, take for drive - clutch clunk, and gearbox synchros. Took about a week full time to get the wiring back to stock - jumped relays, bypassed bits etc. And then all the elec issues surfaced. Never even seen a 930 before this. Engine, gearbox, clutch and elec issues pretty well covered it. Oh, forgot the rust that had been bogged and freshly painted.
So, there was a point after about a year, and 3 engine outs, I still didn't have a running car and still trying to diagnose issues. I wondered how much it would be worth as parts and could I even sell it like it was. Got there in the end - just had the wrong December.
And I could not have done it without these guys on Pelican. They saved my life and my 930 many times over. I doubt I will be selling this one. Wished I had kept the XU1 too - but hey, can't have everything.
Keep going. One day you will forget this bit.
Regards
Alan
Thanks mate.

Must agree all on here at pelican have been brilliant.
I have learnt so much.
I must admit I have been lucky with my 930 as I had wanted to own one from my teenage years. When I could finally justify (afford) one, it has given me 14 years trouble free motoring. Still has only 54,000 Klm on the clock so it is not a daily.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

I wonder if there is somewhere in Aus you could borrow a proven working turbo - to bolt on for an hr or so and run the engine. Just to prove the issue is in the turbo. Just that after 4 rebuilds......???
I have a perfect , near new 3LDZ here I could lend you. But it would be more hassle free if you could find something in Aus. When mine came back I will have to convince Customs not to charge duty etc, and of course the freight cost will be $100+.
The P/930 community in Aus will be small compared to US, but maybe that would be worth a shot?
Alan
Old 09-15-2017, 10:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L View Post
I wonder if there is somewhere in Aus you could borrow a proven working turbo - to bolt on for an hr or so and run the engine. Just to prove the issue is in the turbo. Just that after 4 rebuilds......???
I have a perfect , near new 3LDZ here I could lend you. But it would be more hassle free if you could find something in Aus. When mine came back I will have to convince Customs not to charge duty etc, and of course the freight cost will be $100+.
The P/930 community in Aus will be small compared to US, but maybe that would be worth a shot?
Alan
That is a more than generous offer.
I could not ask that of you. However, believe me I have considered buying a new 7200 and installing it just to prove the rebuilds are bad.
Many thanks.
Steve.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

One thing I did with mine, when I had oil puddle issues out my Zork with a rebuilt turbo, was to install a restrictor plate in my oil supply to the turbo. This doesn't totally solve your problem, because if it is due to poor rebuilds, it really should not need it. But I made a small plate to fit under the banjo bolt, and installed a small/light spring on top of the check ball. Chris at TK offers the same spring mod and I think it is derived from the 964T. Above the spring I made a small plate (maybe it was from a washer - was a while ago). I drilled a series of small holes (maybe about 1/32") around the circumference in a line just inside the bore diameter of the banjo bolt. When I totalled the surface area of my holes up I was at about 1/2 the diameter of the previous oil line at that point. That is still in place several years later.
Regards
Alan
Old 09-16-2017, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Sbk,kenik turbo is for sale.I would love for u to buy it.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2017, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: