Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Electric Scavenge Pump Mounting

For those of you with electric scavenge pumps...where are/how have you mounted them? I have a TurboWerx Pump and am having a hell of a time trying to find an ideal place to mount this thing.

FWIW, this is on a narrow body car ('76 S chassis with narrow rear flares) and there is not much room in the fender wells in the rear.

Any input is appreciated!
Old 09-13-2017, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Don't have an answer, but also interested in mounted location, as well as any new suggestions for routing of the turbo drain hose.

Are you dumping down into a modified oil sump plate?
Old 09-14-2017, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo View Post
Don't have an answer, but also interested in mounted location, as well as any new suggestions for routing of the turbo drain hose.

Are you dumping down into a modified oil sump plate?
I'm returning to the breather cover on the back of the engine, the material on that cover is thick so it's perfect for drilling and tapping a 1/4NPT to -6AN fitting.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

What about repurposing a rear fuel pump bracket (assuming you don't have a fuel pump there)?

Old 09-15-2017, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Supertec sold me a used Tilton differential pump. I mounted it next to the fuel pump bracket, above the torsion tube. It's plumbed with -10 hard lines on the engine to a T fitting then braided -10 up the pump. It pumps into the the breather on top of the engine through a -8. Been driving daily for a few weeks with no problems. Seems loud in the garage but no prob on the road.

92 Corvette - Nitto NT01
Old 09-15-2017, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Billings View Post
Supertec sold me a used Tilton differential pump. I mounted it next to the fuel pump bracket, above the torsion tube. It's plumbed with -10 hard lines on the engine to a T fitting then braided -10 up the pump. It pumps into the the breather on top of the engine through a -8. Been driving daily for a few weeks with no problems. Seems loud in the garage but no prob on the road.

Mike, I just don't get it. Your pic shows a line going into the sump plate, as though the drain point would be into there....... then again, I don't see your turbo.
Also, did not see the tilton pump location.
Am interested in the function of the "T".
However, am easily confused these days.

Could you circle the turbo and the pump, or sketch out the plumbing circuit?
Thanks.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Sorry was afraid that might happen.

The pump is on the vertical wall that forms the back seat rest. There is a nice flat surface to mount your pump above the torsion tube. Above the fuel pump bracket. There's room on both the left and right sides of the car.

My plumbing in the photo is for two turbos. I don't have any kind of drip can or vent. I thought those -10 (5/8) pipes would hold plenty of drips. Also thought I would try it without any venting. You can find other threads discussing vents and drip tanks.

I made that sump plate with two -10 fittings. It's a stock steel plate with the steel fittings welded on. Used it for gravity drain for a few years but the turbos would collect oil if the car sat for a few weeks. No problems now.

In the photo the hose on the sump is for a second electric pump that makes oil pressure before the engine is started.
92 Corvette - Nitto NT01

Last edited by Mike Billings; 09-15-2017 at 04:01 PM..
Old 09-15-2017, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Here is how I mounted mine (sorry this is the best picture I can find).
I have a TurboWerx electric pump. I mounted it to a plate and used two "U" bolt style exhaust clamps which I clamped to the torsion tube - on the right hand side of the gearbox. It has worked flawlessly for the past few years.

The weld you can see on the torsion tube is from where I installed a G50 center section.

Last edited by motley911; 09-16-2017 at 07:19 AM..
Old 09-15-2017, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Billings View Post
Sorry was afraid that might happen.

The pump is on the vertical wall that forms the back seat rest. There is a nice flat surface to mount your pump above the torsion tube. Above the fuel pump bracket. There's room on both the left and right sides of the car.

My plumbing in the photo is for two turbos. I don't have any kind of drip can or vent. I thought those -10 (5/8) pipes would hold plenty of drips. Also thought I would try it without any venting. You can find other threads discussing vents and drip tanks.

I made that sump plate with two -10 fittings. It's a stock steel plate with the steel fittings welded on. Used it for gravity drain for a few years but the turbos would collect oil if the car sat for a few weeks. No problems now.

In the photo the hose on the sump is for a second electric pump that makes oil pressure before the engine is started.

Mike, OK, got it. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motley911 View Post
I have a TurboWerx electric pump. I mounted it to a plate and used two "U" bolt style exhaust clamps which I clamped to the torsion tube - on the right hand side of the gearbox. It has worked flawlessly for the past few years.
Nice install. great idea. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by motley911 View Post

The weld you can see on the torsion tube is from where I installed a G50 center section.

I love this idea; however, I tried fitting mine in that location but for some reason does not fit in that location (maybe the 930 control arms are spatially different than a standard 911? I know TurboWerx makes a smaller pump than the one I have, might need to exchange mine for that to make it work in that location. *Edit:* I remember the reason why the pump would not work there for me, the swaybar is in the way. I just noticed in your picture you have a mount but no bar in it.

And being that my car began life as a 2.7, there is no provision for a rear fuel pump or the associated mounting brackets

Last edited by '76 911S 3.0; 09-22-2017 at 05:05 PM..
Old 09-22-2017, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I'm missing something, what is the advenatage of an electrically driven scavenge pump as opposed to the mechanically driven pump?
Old 09-22-2017, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
I'm missing something, what is the advenatage of an electrically driven scavenge pump as opposed to the mechanically driven pump?
Good question!
Old 09-23-2017, 03:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by '76 911S 3.0 View Post
I love this idea; however, I tried fitting mine in that location but for some reason does not fit in that location (maybe the 930 control arms are spatially different than a standard 911? I know TurboWerx makes a smaller pump than the one I have, might need to exchange mine for that to make it work in that location. *Edit:* I remember the reason why the pump would not work there for me, the swaybar is in the way. I just noticed in your picture you have a mount but no bar in it.

And being that my car began life as a 2.7, there is no provision for a rear fuel pump or the associated mounting brackets
Mine is a 1982SC tub that I grafted a G50 torsion tube into. It has SC trailing arms - so I cannot comment on the 930 arms being different. I run a Rebel Racing swaybar and the Rebel Racing swaybar mounts (the ones weld to the chassis). I had to space the swaybar mounts down about 10mm to allow the swaybar to clear the underside of the G50 gearbox.
For the electric pump mount - I mounted the pump to a 1/8" plate and then had to determine the center line of the exhaust clamps, relative to the pump, to get it to fit. One advantage of the turbowerx pump is that it can run in any position - so I was able to rotate the pump relative to the torsion tube to make it fit.
I will have a look to see if I have anymore pictures that may show it a little better.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
From my experience:
PROS
Oil flow capacity - For my original application (twin journal bearing turbos) - the 930 cam driven pump could not keep up with the oil flow through the turbos at idle and the oil would overflow into the exhaust turbine housing creating a lot of smoke.
Mounting - if you don't have 930 cam shafts, mounting a 930 pump is a little difficult (need to drill the cams).
Ability to scavenge oil after shutdown / before starting - on my set up the electric scavenge pump runs for a few minutes after shutdown to prevent oil build up and smoke on start-up.

CONS
Noisy - you can certainly hear the pump running while driving
Electrical - you need to wire the pump into the electrical system. Although the turbowerx pumps are pretty robust and can run dry, if you leave the ignition on, without the car running the pump will run (naturally you could wire it so that it only runs when the engine is running but that is even more complexity)
Complexity - after 4 years of running the turbowerx pump has been bulletproof. But compared to the cam driven pump there are a lot more things (electric motor, fuses, wiring, relays, timers etc) that can go wrong and ruin your weekend.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
I went through several stages with my turbo oil return starting with passive sump drainage, then a Tilton pump mounted in the left wheel well, and finally a cam driven pump. The Tilton was definitely noisy and I worried about electrical failure and road debris damage. The electric pump is definitely a challenge to mount, wire, and plumb. I think the sump solution is actually more robust in the long run and if you really want active scavenging, cam driven pump is the way to go especially if you go EFI as it gives you the simplest cam signal solution.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: