Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

L.A. Dismantlers - buyer beware

been hesitating to post this hoping to get some accommodation from LAD.

I have no doubt many people have had good transations with LAD, unfortunately I did not.

over a year ago I bought a 930 4sp gearbox from LAD. per the listing in good condition. I was planning to have it rebuilt and considering some gear changes, so had them ship to the shop I wanted to do the rebuild.

the shop had a backlog of work and I was not in any hurry as I was still stripping the car down to the tub.

it was almost a year later the shop pulled out my gearbox and started to rebuild.

they found it was a busted, unrebuildable peice of junk. case had cracks, gears ruined, shafts corroded, etc. just junk.

when I contacted LAD/Peter, he initially did not want to exchange or provide any relief as I did not report this within 30 days of receiving. I had paid $4,000.

Ironically I saw it listed on ebay. but when I contacted Peter for verification and make arrangments to buy, he told me he would handle the transaction directly - off of ebay. when I asked about that, he told me they use ebay for advertising. in retrospect, wish I had bought via ebay, maybe they would have been able to apply leverage to LAD to make this right.

after a couple discussions with Peter, I got in touch with the owner, Todd.

after a couple discussions with Todd and him talking to the shop, Todd agreed he would get me replacement parts. I felt Todd agreed this was a bad transaction and they should never have sold that gearbox.

but after a number of weeks not hearing from Todd, I called. turns out Todd had passed away unexpectedly.

so back to Peter. I have sent him/LAD a couple more emails recently, but no reply.

I just called, and the agent who answered put me on hold to contact Peter. he told me Peter will not do anything about this, despite Todd having agreed.

contacted Discover Card, but did not feel they could do anything about the transaction.

I guess my only recourse is to post a cautionary tale here and submit a report to BBB.

from having read these BBs for a few years, seems like a lot of people get into long term restoration projects as I am. my 930 conversion project had a 915 gearbox, and I knew I really wanted a proper 930 gearbox to handle the load from the mods I was planning. so when I saw the ebay listing for what I wanted, I got it well in advance of being ready.

so ... if anyone buys used parts, be sure of return policies, and carefully inspect UPON RECEIVING and report any issues immediately.
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Unfortunately even if you had purchased it through Ebay, after a year they would not be able to do anything.

Honestly that sucks but one should always inspect parts in a timely manner. Hopefully you can get past it and complete your project and with time that sour taste will lessen...
Old 09-19-2017, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Bummer. I can totally see how it happens and the sellers need to understand how projects are an accumulation of parts over months or years.
I had the same thing happen with my suspension project last winter. When I opened the box two months later to reassemble there were two left RSR struts and no right. Fortunately it was resolved without issue.

But as I type there is a set of Rarly8 headers in a box in my shed I have not even cut the tape to look at. I guess I put too much faith that everything is what I ordered. It's the gamble of being too busy or too lazy.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

To me they are very expensive so i stopped buying from them.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2017, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
gearhead

Todd screwed me on a 915 gearbox 5-6 years ago. Total bait and switch didn't send me the gearbox I saw on EBay. Gave me a partial refund but a lot of wasted time on my end to end up with what was not a buildable core. Ever since I've referred all my clients to other sources for gearboxes.

Regards,

Matt Monson
Guard Transmission llc.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Look on the internet there is an abundance of horror stories. I have a customer that literally went to jail over a repair that they did to his car and then lied so convincingly to a judge that they not only got off the hook but then the DA came after my client because they were so embarrassed of how LAPD's attorney made them and the bureau of automotive repair look in court. My client could not afford to defend himself so he settled for jail time. They desroyed his boxster and put him in jail for blowing the whistle on them. If I were you I would take them to small claims. I think jurisdiction may be the city/county that the phone deal was made on behalf of the buyer(you). Drag their asses to your town to defend themselves
Old 09-19-2017, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

BTDT with a guy who owned an airshow team I used to fly on. Depending on county small claims or magistrates court will cap the claim to some amount. Where I live is $15,000. File a claim there, pay the money to have them served. If they hire an attorney then duke it out, but most likely they won't show. So move for a default judgement. If you get it, sell the judgement to someone in their locale for pennies on the dollar and move on. Let someone else harass them.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
Look on the internet there is an abundance of horror stories. I have a customer that literally went to jail over a repair that they did to his car and then lied so convincingly to a judge that they not only got off the hook but then the DA came after my client because they were so embarrassed of how LAPD's attorney made them and the bureau of automotive repair look in court. My client could not afford to defend himself so he settled for jail time. They desroyed his boxster and put him in jail for blowing the whistle on them. If I were you I would take them to small claims. I think jurisdiction may be the city/county that the phone deal was made on behalf of the buyer(you). Drag their asses to your town to defend themselves
Court would be a waste of time. Keep in mind it was a year later that he discovered the damage. LAD would argue that the damage could have been done at the shop where the tranny was kept for a year. Now if he has in writing(up to date) an agreement to make things right(by Todd) then he may have shot at recovering some funds or useable parts.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

LA Dismantlers is a buyer beware, junkyard with all the precautionary requisites.
If you're on site and know what to look for in the part you want, thumbs up.
Long distance and absent ? not so much...
Old 09-19-2017, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speednme1 View Post
Court would be a waste of time. Keep in mind it was a year later that he discovered the damage. LAD would argue that the damage could have been done at the shop where the tranny was kept for a year. Now if he has in writing(up to date) an agreement to make things right(by Todd) then he may have shot at recovering some funds or useable parts.
It's all up to a judge that will listen to both sides of the story and then will make a judgement. Without attorneys the truth will prevail in small claims. It almost always does. Buyer has no reason to make this **** up that makes no sense and the judge will see that.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Two problems, time and 3rd party involvement.
Once the item is out of the control of the seller you can do anything you want with it, including destroying it. Add in a 3rd party that now has the item and you have nothing left to defend. Throw in that it is a used makes it all the worse.

Quote:
But as I type there is a set of Rarly8 headers in a box in my shed I have not even cut the tape to look at. I guess I put too much faith that everything is what I ordered. It's the gamble of being too busy or too lazy.
Fortunately we work a little differently than a junk yard. It is easy to tell if a new product is damaged or has a factory defect. As a timely story, I got a call from Zim's recently that they had sold one of our 356 mufflers to a customer back in 2014. He just now is getting it installed and finds the tailpipe stub outs are too long for his bumper. I'm sending out a call tag and will check it out and fix whatever is wrong.

Like you said the moral of the story is time. Check out your purchased item immediately upon receipt, even if you have to pay the shop to disassemble it.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Just FYI: If you tried Small Claims Court it would have to be in California. This might be possible. If you are interested you can Google for a court in their area and check the website. Some courts have very good and detailed information. If no luck check: https://www.google.com/search?q=small+claims+court+california&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8 Good luck all around. I have been there with them also.

Also, FWIW, your parts might have more value than you realize. Consider a detailed listing with images, etc on Pelican- only caution is trying to figure out what the bits are worth.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
I'm sorry to hear that..I bought parts from LAD over many years, And sometimes things didn't go as planned, But Todd and Peter made things whole.

I'm also sad that Todd died, He left behind four little girls, That he spoke of all the time, He had just sold LAD to spend more time with his family... Sooo Sad. I'm sure his little girls and wife miss him...May God be with him and his Family
SOLD, 911GT ,CIS, 428 fwhp 450 trq, Carrillo rods, 964 cams, TT retainers,7.5 comp 1.1 bar boost 320 ml black fuel head 009 injectors, 044 pumps, 60-1 T4/T3 dual scroll turbo

Last edited by heliolps2; 09-20-2017 at 03:45 PM..
Old 09-20-2017, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry about the troubles with LA Dismantlers. I've never bought from them and now knowing your experience I'll pass buying from them in the future. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Todd is dead, dude. There are lots of problems there I won't get into, but let's just say the police are involved. Don't ask me any more questions, because I won't answer, but I will tell you this again: Todd is deceased. Any deal you made with him....went with him.

Only reproduction 3.6 cases on the planet, coming soon www.taorminaracingdesigns.com
Old 09-20-2017, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

^^^
interesting.

and when I posted this I knew I would not waste any more time chasing LAD.

just wanted others to benefit from my mistake.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911tracker85 View Post
^^^
interesting.

and when I posted this I knew I would not waste any more time chasing LAD.

just wanted others to benefit from my mistake.

Not a lawyer here, but I presume the company is still liable for misrepresentation regardless of what happens to its owners.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I think the company faces bigger problems than simple misrepresentations.....

Only reproduction 3.6 cases on the planet, coming soon www.taorminaracingdesigns.com
Old 09-22-2017, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

yea, total miss-representation. but can't squeeze blood out of turnips....

discussed briefly with my lawyer. he advised against pursing, may cost more than what judgement I may get, and then getting any $$$ out of them considering LAD is in LA.

I am moving on with my life. hope this post helps others avoid my mistake.

we cannot help dealing with used parts / suppliers when doing extensive restorations...

watch for updates on my build thread. recently got a lot of great parts, not everyone is a crook. and about to split the case on the engine rebuild.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Are any of the parts recoup-able?
Old 09-22-2017, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: