Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I did some material analysis of the valve using X-ray fluorescence. This shows that it is primarily Inconel, 73% Nickel, 19% Chromium, 2% Titanium 1.5% aluminum (could be surface contaminant) 1.5% iron......
I suspect the Porsche valve guide is made of beryllium copper. The replacement I am having made will be made of a precipitate hardened copper nickel silicon alloy. You can Google Colsibro, that is one of the many examples of this alloy.
David
Old 11-28-2017, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
The guide is a press fit in the housing, and may need to be reamed after pressing it in. I am going to try to do a thermal fit on my first rebuild unit. I will heat the cast iron housing to 300 deg F and freeze a guide in liquid nitrogen. It should drop right in place.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

How far are you? I currently have no problems with the wastegate but I want to put a kit of you in stock.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Wastegate

Hi David, how are you getting on with this ? I would like to order a kit if thatís ok.
Stan.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
I expected to receive the valve guides last week, but have not gotten them yet. I have been working more overtime than usual so have not bothered to call the vendor. I will call tomorrow and check on status.
I have possibly had enough people contact my via PM to sell out the first run of parts. If that is the case I will reorder in larger quantities for a second batch. I think that everyone with a 930 will need these parts one day. It's surprising I seem to be the only one making them.
David
Old 12-14-2017, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Ok, finally got the new valve guides in. I just got them out of the box tonight. I will measure and compare critical dimensions tomorrow. I will work toward getting a wastegate built up next week. I would be interested in loaning out a rebuilt wastegate for testing and evaluation. If your interested in providing testing services please PM me with your personal test plan.

Last edited by reclino; 01-17-2018 at 05:20 PM..
Old 01-17-2018, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Measurements of the valve guide look good. I started working up a packaging strategy tonight. Just a few more days before being able to ship. Would everyone who has already contacted my via PM please confirm your still interested and send me your shipping info. I want to check on the best way to ship these out, I am guessing US postal flat rate small box would work.
If everyone who has already contacted me about the kits follows through and pays then the first run of kits will sell out. I will double my order of parts for the next run.
Thanks
David
#930MOAB
Performance EngiNERDing
Engineer.white@gmail.com

Last edited by reclino; Yesterday at 05:33 PM..
Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
I do have some extra shims and gaskets, but do not have any extra valve guides for this first run of parts. Extra gaskets cost $17.00, extra shims cost $7.25 each.
thanks
David
#930MOAB
Performance EngiNERDing
Engineer.white@gmail.com
Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: