Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
930 wastegate rebuild +NLA parts

I am working thought the rebuild of a couple of spare 931 wastegates I have (these are the same as 930 wastegates except for a couple of extra mounting studs). They both needed a bit of work and I decided to document the process. Porsche did not intend for the general public to rebuild these units. They did not sell individual parts such as the valve, valve guide, asbestos gasket, shim washers for top and bottom of the spring, or the diaphragm. Porsche wants to sell you an new unit for about $2000 when yours goes bad.

I am going to clean this unit up, and replace the parts that are worn. To do this I am working through reverse engineering the following parts.
Valve Guide
Asbestos Gasket
Shim washers for spring
Each of these parts I am going to have a short production run of parts manufactured, I will use the ones I need and put the rest up for sale.
David

Last edited by reclino; 10-07-2017 at 03:59 AM..
Old 10-01-2017, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Non User

Garage
Subscribed!
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 10-01-2017, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
When you take the top cold side of the wastegate apart from the hot side, the asbestos gasket that is between is destroyed. Opening the wastegate this far is necessary to replace the valve guide.

Measuring used parts to reverse engineer an item is possible but not preferred. Thanks to the generosity of a pelican member I was able to borrow a new wastegate valve and guide. Porsche never sold these parts to the general public, but did make them available to race teams. These were purchased from Andial years ago. The new valve and guide are shown alongside the used valve from my wastegate.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Although the shim washers on this wastegate are in good condition the other wastegate needs new ones. That seemed like the easiest part to replicate. I checked with a few local machine shops and they did not want to take on the job. I expanded my search nation wide and came up with a vendor who will do small quantity jobs of custom washers. I specified Stainless steel and the OEM dimensions of
OD 2.745
ID 2.215
Thickness .021

I have been waiting weeks for these washers to show up. They arrived while I was on travel for work last week. Shown for comparison are the orginal Porsche washers.
The new ones are not quite ready to ship yet, I need to deburr them, and coat with Sandstrom 28A dry film moly lube.
David
Old 10-01-2017, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Why bother to cost them? Factory didn't. They are stainless after all. Dry film would be nice though.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
BTW I'm in.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
I believe the factory washers are cadmium plated. Cadmium is a dry film lube and the ultimate corrosion inhibitor. Cadmium is however bad for you, and banned in the EU, so I will use the next best thing, stainless washer coated with MIL spec dry film lube.
David
Old 10-01-2017, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
A bit of time in the bead blast cabinet and the wastegate looks much better. Now just waiting on the gasket and new guide to be finished.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
By November I will have valve guides available for $43.50 each. Will also have gaskets available for between hot and cold side of wastegate for $17.00 each. That with the shims at 14.50 for 2 will make a kit cost of $75.00 for all common wear parts for the wastegate.(except the Diaphragm) Can anyone interested in a kit PM me so I have some idea of demand.
David

Last edited by reclino; 10-04-2017 at 03:29 PM..
Old 10-04-2017, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Due to multiple requests I am in contact with a company that makes reinforced rubber Diaphragms. I may be able to provide an uprated, Nomex reinforced silicone rubber diaphram to complete this kit. Cost at this point is unknown, I will not do it unless I can beat the prices of existing replacement diaphrams on the market. I am selecting 20 psi as max design pressure. Will see what this does to cost.
David
Old 10-06-2017, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: