Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
The latest cars don't need humans now.
Many are fully autonomous and simply not activated. They are gathering information from all the cars out there to fine tune the system. Once the general public becomes accepting of the takeover the switch will be flipped and the cars fully self driving. So like everything else forced on the general public you will be bombarded with propaganda until you give in. I see the misuse of cell phones and the horrific harm caused by stupid people as being the tool used to push the idea of giving up your keys. Now for old folks and city slickers a self driving car is a god send. For a responsible auto enthusiast it may be the beginning of the end. Equestrians have to enjoy their hobby riding areas developed for them, you want to do that with your 930?
We're not quite there. Article I read said the best of current cars only 'acknowledge' cyclists 20% of the time, 80% they are not seen. Now get into crosswalks, kids on sidewalks and the real world we have a long way to go. Self driving cars will happen, can't come soon enough, but my guess is decades until I can ride to the store without touching the wheel. Hopefully freeway driving will come soon though!

I gave a ride to a younger friend at work. Very proud of his S5, mods, etc. 5 minutes on the freeway while engine warming he was babbling about the smooth ride, and now he won't stop talking about the car.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s5uewf View Post
I think the resale market may drop off as younger males will not want older gas engine vehicles and as older males die off. Not sure when. I also think insurance industry will try to price self driving cars off the road and will get politicians to help them.
Disagree with this. I think what will happen is the insurance companies will write policies like the ones they have today, flat liability coverage up to a million ONLY when the car is in self driving mode.

Highways will start to have "self driving only" lanes, initially because the public won't trust them. Possibly with a lower speed limit.

A short period of operation in this mode will show the self driving cars to actually be safer than human driven vehicles. Insurance companies will not start to push FOR not against self-driving cars. The insurance lobby is VERY powerful and can change highway laws simply by deciding what coverage to offer and what not to.

Around about this time personal ownership of vehicles will start to drop off rapidly. Uber is much more than a ride hailing service. Uber is a platform that is driving an end-to-end digital transformation of personal transportation. For those who just want to get from one place to another, why own a vehicle, worry about depreciation, insurance, liability, damage, repair, parking, and maintenance. Maintenance in particular as more and more cars are not maintainable by the owner, and more and more shrink wrap license agreements actually make modifying your own car illegal. Uber will own fleets of self driving cars that you hail with your personal communicator. The car will recognize you based on a digital certificate exchange or your account or many other mechanisms. It will play your favorite music automatically, set the car temperature where you like it, address you by name etc etc etc for an entirely personalized experience.

The speed limit on self driving lanes will become higher than human driven lanes. Autonomous vehicle transport is now faster, safer, cheaper, more convenient, and requires zero personal capital investment than personally owned and human driven vehicles.

There will be more self driving lanes than human driven lanes at this point.

There will be a special self driving truck lane.

Eventually human driven vehicles will be banned from highways, and slowly from other main roads.

Last edited by flightlead404; 10-17-2017 at 09:09 AM..
Old 10-17-2017, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
There goes GM cutting it's own throat yet again and all so they can be valued like Tesla (interesting that Tesla is the highest valued manufacturer when they haven't made a dime).
Electric cars are not money makers for any company who manufactures them. Furthermore, the power grid in the U.S. is not ready for even 50% of all cars to be electric.
When someone figures out how to drive your electric car coast-to-coast then everyone will have them. Until then, sales of EV's will pretty much remain where they are and we can all relax
Electric is fine.

However the future is not battery technology, it is fuel cells. Read about what Toyota is doing in Cali and their fuel cell semi-trailer.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
I actually agree with you. I think I misworded my comment. I meant cars we drive ourselves as opposed to autonomous.

I do think insurance, politics, and business interests will paint cars we drive ourselves as the worse choice/unsafe and autonomous cars as the safe and best choice. It will happen soon, and is already to some extent - see discounts given if you allow a sensor to be placed in your car to track speed, etc. Black boxes in car collecting real time for the sole purpose of helping firms avoid liability. ...

I agree with you fully. Confusing text on my part.

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
stock 3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, B&B intercooler, Tial wastegate, Electromotive tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter
Old 10-17-2017, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Expert

Garage
I get those “offers”of a discount if I put one of their (State Farm in this case) nannies in my car(s) two or three times a year. I forget what the discount is - something like 5% I think. Not nearly enough for me to allow “big brother” to ride with me! It would take at least 50% before I would even consider It! You know they’re going to use the information it collects against you. No matter how they spin it this “benefit” is not for you the customer.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1000RR View Post
Horses are still an expensive hobby.
A relatively new phenomenon: my dad was fond of saying that when he was a kid in the 20s and 30s, rich people had cars and poor people had horses. The field was flipped on that shortly thereafter, to be sure, but horses were a cheap and (mostly) reliable mode of transportation for the centuries leading up to the switch.

Sorry, back to the topic at hand ...

_
Old 10-17-2017, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Well first and foremost...most countries in the world still generate electricity from either coal or natural gas, both fossil fuel in origin. So one has to ask...what are we saving here with electric vehicles??

Plus the amount of destruction to the worlds eco system by mining and processing the needed nickel and such, for the manufacture of batteries is appalling. Then of course there is the mass of waste generated with the dismantling/disposal of the dead batteries.

Sure you'll jump up and say.... but they are recyclable.... but in reality only a relative small % of the old battery is actually reusable, and then not back into the form of batteries. So the net gain is a negative, and the net loss is huge.

Total crap from my perspective....and don't even get me started with self driving vehicles.

Mark

Last edited by full quack; 10-17-2017 at 01:29 PM..
Old 10-17-2017, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Well first and foremost...most countries in the world still generate electricity from either coal or natural gas, both fossil fuel in origin. So one has to ask...what are we saving here with electric vehicles??

Plus the amount of destruction to the worlds eco system by mining and processing the needed nickel and such, for the manufacture of batteries is appalling. Then of course there is the mass of waste generated with the dismantling/disposal of the dead batteries.

Sure you'll jump up and say.... but they are recyclable.... but in reality only a relative small % of the old battery is actually reusable, and then not back into the form of batteries. So the net gain is a negative, and the net loss is huge.

Total crap from my perspective....and don't even get me started with self driving vehicles.

Mark
Two Marks that think alike. And let's not forget that lithium is the drug of choice for futuristic batteries. Google that and you'll find how lithium governs third world country economies....all because of iphones initially. Lead-acid batteries are 100+ year old technology and weigh a ton. Lithium not only can power your vehicle, but also dampen the insane urges your brain kicks out in rebellion to autonomous self-driving cars. Who in the hell...which marketing guru...decided for the masses that this is what we want? I've never been asked my opinion; just force fed the results. And this from some idiots who're too young to have ever watched the Jetsons.
Ditto: Don't get me started....
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.

Last edited by mark houghton; 10-17-2017 at 07:31 PM..
Old 10-17-2017, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
The latest cars don't need humans now.
Many are fully autonomous and simply not activated. They are gathering information from all the cars out there to fine tune the system. Once the general public becomes accepting of the takeover the switch will be flipped and the cars fully self driving. So like everything else forced on the general public you will be bombarded with propaganda until you give in. I see the misuse of cell phones and the horrific harm caused by stupid people as being the tool used to push the idea of giving up your keys. Now for old folks and city slickers a self driving car is a god send. For a responsible auto enthusiast it may be the beginning of the end. Equestrians have to enjoy their hobby riding areas developed for them, you want to do that with your 930?
By the time this happens, I'll be so old that I'll be safer in a self driving car.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
This is happening NOW.
We have self driving cars being tested in our city right now. Every new car produced has the technology and is gathering info to perfect it, the insurance companies and auto industry has already embraced it. Liberals are pushing it and they have the media to convince you that "you are on the wrong side of history" if you don't believe as they do. How many time you heard that?
Somehow the enthusiast has to be protected and retain the privilege of driving on the public roads we pay for.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

two more issues with electric/ autonomous cars ..

1. in states with Unions for First responders ..IF you are in an accident with an electric car
someone from the local power company needs to show up and determine the batteries have not
been shorted. First responders can provide the shortest path to ground for the shorted batteries.
Many jurisdictions have not even begun to figure this out - and the huge liability issues involved- Leaving you to bleed to death while everyone stands around deciding who will go in 1st.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=first+responders+electrocuted+by+electric+car+&oq=first+responders+electrocuted+by+electric+car+&gs_l=psy-ab.3...1946.24114.0.24782.50.48.1.0.0.0.198.4725.1 6j28.45.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..4.36.3806.6..0j35i39k1j0i131k1j0i131i46k1j46i1 31k1j0i20i264k1j0i22i30k1j33i160k1j33i22i29i30k1j0 i8i13i30k1j33i21k1.96.fyaDRYURChg

2. self driving cars rely on the road stripes and the contrast between the stripes and the black tarmac.

stripes can be center or outside lane.

here in Texas the Tarmac (black road) gets bleached with the sun as a result
the contrast between the stripes and road is low.

Go ride in a tesla X in auto drive mode on 360 in Austin ...terrifying as the car wanders due lack of contrast.

before they unleash self driving cars there will need to be standardized stripes .
and they must be checked and maintained . Imagine the liability ?
now think of concrete roads ..light roads light stripes...

a bunch of people are putting the cart before the horse ...without forethought or planning .
Old 10-18-2017, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: