Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/)
-   -   Megasquirt EFI installation on 79 930 (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-930-turbo-super-charging-forum/973582-megasquirt-efi-installation-79-930-a.html)

Oheggem 10-11-2017 11:45 AM

Megasquirt EFI installation on 79 930
 
Hi guys.

I thought i`d dig into installing my EFI setup. Will update with pics and info along the way but i`m also hoping for some help with a few things i just don`t figure out. I have read so much about EFI`ing but still the first thing i did and i got stopped.

Anyone know where i can get a longer shaft for the TB? Bought the sensor and mounting plate from GSF but that seems to not fit and not connect to the sensor. They never said anything about this and i told them what car i had. The top point for mounting screw is halved and the lower is not tapped. I can fix the mouting areas but still need a longer shaft.
I could maby weld it a bit longer but then i need to know where the pin are placed on the shaft to rotate the TPS compared to the flat on the other side of the shaft? Or can i adjust the TPS instead?
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1507747010.JPG

If i`m not going to use the CIS stuff , what do i use to connect the IC to the TB?
If i just leave everything as it is, do i just add the MS, ignition, TPS, IAT and CHT, unplug the original stuff and EFI will work or will i have to remove all and plug everything.

Got some leaks to stop also if i ever want to get it on the road. Think i`ll add something on both sides of the valve cover gaskets. Can`t stop them from leaking. Also the chain covers.

Not much to be exited about yet as i ofcourse got into trouble on the thing i thought was going to be the easy one. Mounting the TPS:D

willtel 10-11-2017 12:43 PM

https://parts.turbokraft.com/products/thottle-position-sensor-set-early-models

xbmwguy 10-11-2017 01:07 PM

Iím assuming you are going to still be using the pancake manifold. F you are switching to the Carrera, which is much better, the Carrera throttle body has the extended shaft

dos531 10-11-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willtel (Post 9772348)

This. Actually, you should just call Chris and talk to him. They have a lot of parts for these conversions that will make your life much easier. You will probably want the plug kit for the flat manifold, and they also have a nice cht sensor kit. If you're willing to spend the money, their intercoolers are top notch as well.

TurboKraft 10-11-2017 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oheggem (Post 9772252)
...If i`m not going to use the CIS stuff , what do i use to connect the IC to the TB?
If i just leave everything as it is, do i just add the MS, ignition, TPS, IAT and CHT, unplug the original stuff and EFI will work or will i have to remove all and plug everything.

Got some leaks to stop also if i ever want to get it on the road. Think i`ll add something on both sides of the valve cover gaskets. Can`t stop them from leaking. Also the chain covers.

Hi, we got your email, and now it makes sense why you were asking about getting an early TPS Kit without the sensor.
But according to GSF's website, they use a Bosch sensor -- that's a different bolt pattern, and a different installed angle for the flat spot ("D") on the throttle shaft. It won't work with our kit. Our kit is a very easy bolt-in solution, and uses an OEM sensor, so you'll have no problems from it.

Another common pitfall, something we commonly fix on other people's EFI conversions: do not try to use oil temperature as your "Coolant" temperature input. Instead, use cylinder head temperature, like the factory did:
https://parts.turbokraft.com/products/cylinder-head-temperature-sensor-set

We have the best luck with the green beaded valve cover gaskets, they don't leak for us.

Chain housing gaskets -- apply a thin layer of Loctite 574 to the gasket, make sure both sealing surfaces are clean and oil-free.

TurboKraft 10-11-2017 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dos531 (Post 9772535)
This. Actually, you should just call Chris and talk to him. They have a lot of parts for these conversions that will make your life much easier. You will probably want the plug kit for the flat manifold, and they also have a nice cht sensor kit. If you're willing to spend the money, their intercoolers are top notch as well.

Thanks!

Oheggem 10-12-2017 12:31 AM

Thx for the info guys. I sent an email to TK as soon as i saw the link. I`ll have to wait a while to get $400+shipping+import taxes. I`m on a supertight budget because i thought i had bought the parts i needed already:rolleyes: I almost don`t dare to visit TKs website with all that candy in it. i want the IC, headers, turbo oil feedline etc etc.

Meanwhile, if i drill the end of the tb shaft, epoxy a small screw with a round head at the end at perfect lenght then cut it like a D , that should work if i can mount the sensor i have right?

Will i need an idle air control?

So i`ll just use IAT then at the neck of the recycling valve housing and a CHT and i`ll be golden? That`s good :D

smurfbus 10-12-2017 02:47 AM

Quote:

Meanwhile, if i drill the end of the tb shaft, epoxy a small screw with a round head at the end at perfect lenght then cut it like a D , that should work if i can mount the sensor i have right?
This is what I had to do with same **** from GSF (except I tapped the end not glued). You can do without idle valve if you tolerate high idle when hot or have hand throttle like I do. Or use the AAR from your CIS setup.

RPM, MAP, IAT and CLT basically is enough with WBO2. TPS for decel cut. I've managed accel enrich with MAP now that my GSF TPS keeps popping my MS3pro fuses.

dos531 10-12-2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oheggem (Post 9773212)
Thx for the info guys. I sent an email to TK as soon as i saw the link. I`ll have to wait a while to get $400+shipping+import taxes. I`m on a supertight budget because i thought i had bought the parts i needed already:rolleyes: I almost don`t dare to visit TKs website with all that candy in it. i want the IC, headers, turbo oil feedline etc etc.

Meanwhile, if i drill the end of the tb shaft, epoxy a small screw with a round head at the end at perfect lenght then cut it like a D , that should work if i can mount the sensor i have right?

Will i need an idle air control?

So i`ll just use IAT then at the neck of the recycling valve housing and a CHT and i`ll be golden? That`s good :D

Idle control is definitely worth doing. I have a 3 wire bosch icv I was using before I switched to the carrera manifold that I don't need. I think I took it out of a saab at the junkyard. Worked fine for me though. If you dont have one, you can have it, just pay for shipping.

Tippy 10-12-2017 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dos531 (Post 9773716)
Idle control is definitely worth doing. I have a 3 wire bosch icv I was using before I switched to the carrera manifold that I don't need. I think I took it out of a saab at the junkyard. Worked fine for me though. If you dont have one, you can have it, just pay for shipping.

Yes, there's other European vars that use the exact ICV for a fraction of the cost of the 3.2

jpilcher 10-12-2017 04:59 PM

3 wire Bosch ICV is the way to go.

Oheggem 10-13-2017 03:13 AM

Thank you all for great info. I will get the shaft drilled and tapped along with some other things to keep things moving. Not sure how to wire or hose together the ICV but i really appreciate the offer.:) Sending you a PM

I`ll drill and tap the recycling valve housing for the IAT and find a mounting way for the CHT.

Will give an update when things are moving again. Working 2 weeks from monday again and then its golf in Spain so i hope to be back on it after that:)

Oheggem 10-13-2017 06:01 AM

Using this right over the TB IAT https://www.diyautotune.com/product/gm-open-element-iat-sensor-with-connector/
and this for CHT https://www.diyautotune.com/product/gm-closed-element-clt-iat-sensor-with-connector/

BTW, is the flat spot on the sensor side of the TBshaft lined up with the top flat spot on the other side? found a guy to drill and tap :)

Oheggem 11-25-2017 03:01 PM

Decided to go for Turbokraft TPS solution. I`m gonna buy a few other things so i will save some hassle and get that also. Installed the IAT tonight so now i only need to do the work. I got most things.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1511650844.jpg

Have a nice weekend guys :)

philip j 11-25-2017 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oheggem (Post 9826709)
Decided to go for Turbokraft TPS solution. I`m gonna buy a few other things so i will save some hassle and get that also. Installed the IAT tonight so now i only need to do the work. I got most things.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1511650844.jpg

Have a nice weekend guys :)



Where did you install the IAT sensor? hard to tell from the pic... Philip

Oheggem 11-25-2017 05:09 PM

On the resirc housing. I think that`s the most common place. :)

philip j 11-25-2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oheggem (Post 9826818)
On the resirc housing. I think that`s the most common place. :)

OK, my recirc is long gone... that's why I didn't recognize the piece. Sounds like a good spot though. ;-) Philip

Oheggem 11-26-2017 03:17 AM

Ah ok. I`m keeping mine and might cut it to minimize as others have done :)

I thought i might consider COP instead of the Electromotive coils and a quadspark module.

Can someone recommend some that can be used? Part#.And these can be wired straight from the ECU? Sounds so much easier than using my current system SmileWavy

philip j 11-26-2017 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oheggem (Post 9827016)
Ah ok. I`m keeping mine and might cut it to minimize as others have done :)

I thought i might consider COP instead of the Electromotive coils and a quadspark module.

Can someone recommend some that can be used? Part#.And these can be wired straight from the ECU? Sounds so much easier than using my current system SmileWavy

I just picked up a MS3Pro Evo, and will be doing COP... There are 2 part #'s for the COP most guys are using. Here's what I picked up at a local wrecker. Philip

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1511667128.JPG

Oheggem 11-26-2017 04:38 AM

Ah ok. Will see if i can get some. Used carparts prices in Norway are rediculous. Hope you document the install so i can get some tips from :)


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website


DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.