Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

89 Coupe with 3.3T engine by Tech9 Automotive, WPB, FL.

I just picked up my 89 narrow body with a 3.3. Turbo from Tech9 Automotive, Kris D, who did a full rebuild on the engine. In short I can only say....WOW! Read on for more on my 3.3T narrow body.

We had converted the car years ago to a 3.3 and it was very fast but we had some teething problems I believe that led to an early demise for the engine.

When my local mechanic tore the engine apart we noticed the nikasil peeling off in a few cylinders. Obviously it got too lean and hot or....?

Long story short, the original mechanic reassembled the engine with in-spec P&Cs. The long block was brought home and I never installed the engine. Something inside me just kept from reinstalling the engine. I never felt real cozy about the work and didn't want to destroy the engine by running it again.

FWD to 2017, I had been in touch with Kris to build my engine. Kris has just opened his own shop in WPB, FL and was eager to work on my car. I liked the fact that I was dealing with the owner and mechanic. This is a one man operation and the communication to me was as important as the build.

Late last year Kris flew overseas to work on my 81 930. At that time I realized that he was a guy of his word and proved to be very knowledgeable with air cooled Porsches. He used to own a 964 Carrera 4 3.3 Turbo himself some time ago, so definately a guy that has been around "converted/ hot rodded" 3.3 engine.

I sent him the assembled longblock and all the ancillary stuff for the engine earlier this year. He tore into the engine. It looked ok but there was a lot of crap in the case (washers, muck!). Kris sent out every part for cleaning, inspection and machine work where required (heads, rocker arms, cylinders). My crank was already in perfect condition as I had it cross drilled and re-nitrided for the 1st build.

Once the parts came back Kris got to assemble the engine. Other parts include: Euro 930 CIS set up, Brian Leaske WUR with RPM solenoid, Tial 46 WG, fresh K27 hybrid, Full Fab Speed SS Turbo Headers/ Muffler, Andial/ Garrett IC, SC/Turbo Cams, 89 Turbo Clutch (G50), G50 LSD gearbox, all the hardware including the fan and housing were replated and restored. I figured this would be last time I would do this rebuild so we left nothing untouched. The injectors were cleaned and tested as well. Fuel Distributor was rebuilt last time around and the car drove ok so we left that alone. We also had a stunning new engine harness made by a fellow Pelicanite.

Kris installed the engine and kept giving me updates. Many times he would call or text me while I was at work. The news was not always good and he would run into issues that set him back. Not one to be defeated easily he (we) talked things over and always found a way to move forward with the build.

About 4-6 weeks after he had the car on the road and with 515 miles on it he sent me a message that it was "hammer time" (I like Lewis). Kris said that it was time for an oil change and valve adjustment and that only then he would be willing to push the engine. Later that day he got back to me and said some explicative thing that I can not repeat in this family forum. He said that the car was incredibly fast to which I replied "I told you so" having driven it for years with basically this set up.

Kris kept thinkering with the car and sending me messages about how fast the car is. All of this was making me very curious. In one message he told me that this car would blow the doors off his Vette that runs 11.46 in a 1/4 mi. Now he really got my attention. I remember the car being fast but not 11 sec qtr mile fast. I really wanted to get down to FL to drive my car now. It took several weeks before I could plan the trip.

I was going to have the car shipped back to me but I decided a long time ago that I had to go down in person and meet this dude in person. I packed two of my friends in my pick up truck and we hauled our tails down to South Florida (car trailer in tow). We arrived at his shop mid afternoon last Sunday and Kris had the garage bay open with the car on a lift. It was pure pleasure to see my car again with an engine installed. It had been few years and at times I was dissolutioned about getting it running again. But....Boy, did it look pretty, clean, properly detailed (freshly plated hardware, etc.), and dry underneath on the lift. Kris, you know how to make a presentation!

We chatted a bit, lowered the car and went for a short ride. What the heck....this was not the car I knew! I was a completely different beast. The car felt much more responsive at lower RPMs. Keep in mind that there really was no great road to test the car in WPB. 3 lane boulevards, lots of traffic, and cops ofcourse, but when I stomped on the pedal the car went ballistic. I could feel the responsiveness and power but I could not fully try it out. I never imagined the power the car was making now. I did a few more short drives, mostly quick spurts due to the location and traffic. I loaded it up for the return trip to CT anxious to explore the potential of the car.

Due to work and weather, I have only had one real test drive with the car since bringing it back to CT. I still shake every time I think about the way this car drives. I have driven fast Porsches, including 930s, 965, and another 88 Coupe with a hotted up 3.3, but this car is off the chart now. It will spin the 255 rear tires at 50 mph in 3rd gear and get squirmy in the back when I floor the pedal and it takes no more than 15-20 sec to pull from 3.5K to redline (7K) in 2nd and 3rd. I have to be quick to shift as not to over rev the engine! I haven't tried it in 4th (yet). The car pulls like it is launched by an external force like an aircraft carrier catapult. There is never a flat spot in the RPM range. It will spin the tires like it's no one business. It is WILD. I have to compare it to a wild 2 stroke dirt bike. The power comes on fast and furious in every gear.

I want to thank Kris at Tech9 for this ride. This is what I always envisioned and hoped for. The car is much faster and more responsive than before. The new Tial WG and retuned K27 probably play a big role with the responsiveness of the engine, but I feel better also knowing that the engine is tuned close to perfect. It is nice to have an AFR guage with good readings. I would hate to toast this gem of an engine due to bad A/F mixtures like the 1st time around.

Good work Kris. You will be getting more 3.3 engine work from my circle of friends pretty soon.

Anyone looking for a good 911 wrench in South Florida check out Kris. (Tech9automotive@gmail.com). (Don't judge this book by the cover)

ps. Kris..please post pictures of my engine as you please.

Last edited by 6771911esses; 11-10-2017 at 03:43 AM..
Old 11-05-2017, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Mike I am happy that you love the car!
Its been a while since I have posted on here (mainly due to the heart break of having to sell my 930...)
Since I have posted last- I now live in South FL and have opened a business, Tech9 Automotive (If I am stepping on any vendor rules, please let me know, I have never posted as a business before...) So yeah- Mikes car came out pretty good and is an absolute blast to drive! short ratio gear box with a quick spooling turbo in a light car is a hell of a good time. Mikes car presented a few challenges as it was a converted car, however- by the time I was done tuning it and getting it ready for Mike to pick up, I realized that I had loved driving it and didn't want to see it go haha- what a fun car and fun power band!

2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 11-06-2017, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Good job, Kris!
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 11-06-2017, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I recently sold my low mile 3.3 930. Mostly stock except for the needed swap out of the thermal reactors (1979 car) to a Fabspeed set up and a K27. I thought going for a ride in Mike's car would bring back memories. Let me say that I was wrong; this car is something else entirely.....
Old 11-06-2017, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Very nice.

Welcome back.

Good to see you posting again.
www.stauningwhisky.dk
Old 11-06-2017, 10:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thank you guys! I think the best part of delivering Mike his car was when we went for a ride and Mike accelerated a little... a subtle "Holy s***" came from him hahahaha
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 11-07-2017, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

This is great! Kris is a really good guy and I've seen his excellent work before.
Good luck on everything
Old 11-07-2017, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thank you Jim!
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 11-09-2017, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
beancounter

Well done all. Hope the biz is going well Kris.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Looking forward to dry weather this week end for my 1st extended drive. Cold air means more power right Kris (lol)? No worries, I will keep an eye on the AFR guage. Learned my lesson.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Heading back to CT. Saying adios to Kris.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Kris you Are going to go far my friend. Keep up the great work. I️ promise I️ will get by soon!!
88 930 3.4 ,Twin plugged billet Xtreme cylinder heads and denso COPs, Dougherty custom GT 2 evo cams,pauter rods,Garrett Gt40,ms3x Efi ,1100cc injectors,extrude honed 3.2 intake,TK billet fullbay I/C,MODE headers,KEP stage 2,E-85 706 rwhp
Old 11-10-2017, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6771911esses View Post
Looking forward to dry weather this week end for my 1st extended drive. Cold air means more power right Kris (lol)? No worries, I will keep an eye on the AFR guage. Learned my lesson.
If you live in CT, it is COLD up here right now (in the teens tonigh!)
Denser air, but much less traction too. Be careful and enjoy the ride, she is a beauty!
Old 11-10-2017, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Well Kris...looks like two (2) real 930s are coming your way early next year for some MAGIC. '87 Turbo Cab and my 81 Euro 930 with 54K kms. Have to get them packed in a container and shipped to Miami.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

This car has been sitting for over 20 years! 54K km only. Time for a rebuild!
Old 11-11-2017, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Oh wow!! its getting loaded up Mike????
2008 C6/Z51 Corvette
Old 11-14-2017, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Mike (and Kris) -
So glad you are stoked with your new and improved toy. It sounds great!

Kris is awesome, and helped me out a ton with my rebuild, and install of better EFI on my 3.3TT may yrs ago in CT.
He's exceptionally dedicated and serious about doing a good job. A real straight shooter, and his word is gold.
Kris - best of luck with your new shop! I'm VERY happy and excited for you, and know you'll be successful. Just keep doing what you do, and being you.
- Glenn
Old 11-15-2017, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: