Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by 356911930 View Post
Well, you might want to put your hand on the distributor and see if you can feel any vibration. Although it sounds like a ball bearing rotating and then dragging, making the squealing noise.

Rahl
Thanks Rahl. I did the old long screw driver to the ear trick and I'm pretty sure it's not the distributor. The sound definitely seems to be loudest around the fuel distributor. Both fuel pumps have been replaced so it should be them. However, I can't seem to isolate it.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Ok...here is a real long shot for you.

I have a '66 bug and at one time I had a alt. belt that was too small by just enough, that when it was tightened correctly it was in so deep on the alt. pulley that the belt came in contact with the shims. This belt to shim contact caused them to spin on the shaft, as the belt tension was being dictated by the contact with the shims instead of the contact with the pulley halves. Very, very similar sound as you are displaying!

From your picture/videos, it appears that your belt is indeed very deep in the alt. groove....so???

Mark
Old 03-26-2018, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Ok...here is a real long shot for you.

I have a '66 bug and at one time I had a alt. belt that was too small by just enough, that when it was tightened correctly it was in so deep on the alt. pulley that the belt came in contact with the shims. This belt to shim contact caused them to spin on the shaft, as the belt tension was being dictated by the contact with the shims instead of the contact with the pulley halves. Very, very similar sound as you are displaying!

From your picture/videos, it appears that your belt is indeed very deep in the alt. groove....so???

Mark
Thanks Mark. I'll take a look at that. Just curious, did your bug make the noise only when it got hot?
Old 03-26-2018, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
I swapped out the old generator for an alternator conversion. The kit came with an alternator, strap, fan bolt and a belt. The belt was just slightly smaller in diameter compared to the generator belt.
If I recall correctly, I noticed it starting to happen as the engine did warm-up and when blipping the throttle. Which of course makes sense, as things do expand as they get hotter {except for ice}.

Mark

Last edited by full quack; 03-26-2018 at 08:26 AM..
Old 03-26-2018, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
I swapped out the old generator for an alternator conversion. The kit came with an alternator, strap, fan bolt and a belt. The belt was just slightly smaller in diameter compared to the generator belt.
If I recall correctly, I noticed it starting to happen as the engine did warm-up and when blipping the throttle. Which of course makes sense, as things do expand as they get hotter {except for ice}.

Mark
Thanks for all of the info. I'll take a look at it tonight.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:

Mark
Actually, when you heat ice, the molecules gain kinetic energy and the ice expands until it melts

To the OP, I've had success diagnosing a belt squeal (insert Rawknees mating call here) or lack thereof with a couple shots of belt dressing or WD40 when none is available (which is always) when running. If the noise changes/subsides it's your belts/pulleys/etc.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Slantnose from HELL

I know it was suggested but there is no comment confirming.... If you remove the belt altogether, and start the engine... Does the squeal still happen?????

On a side note: If the belt is too tight (easy Rawknee) it can flex the crank snout and cause damage. How much flex do you have on the belt?
Old 03-27-2018, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Since it only makes the noise when it's hot and I haven't had much decent weather to drive it; I've not yet tried to remove the belt when it starts making the noise. I think that's my next logical step. I'm pretty confident the belt is not too tight.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions I appreciate your time.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: