Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Capt Bob

Garage
Kokeln electrical hook up

I have a Kokeln inter-cooler on my 1982 930 which I have removed for another job and have a quick question regarding the electrical hook up on the two sensors on the bottom of the IC. Currently I have only one push on electrical connection to the larger sensor which I believe is the transducer for boost pressure. Either way can you guys let me know if this is correct and what the other sensor is for? Temperature maybe?

Old 12-05-2017, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

One is for the boost gauge and the other is the overboost switch.

I believe the bigger one goes to the gauge.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Capt Bob

Garage
The one hooked up is the larger boost gauge with the push on connector, however there is an unused ring terminal that has not been hooked up (see photo) since I have owned the car.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

99.9 percent of the time with Porsche, ring connectors are grounds, so that is likely a ground wire that is disconnected. To be sure, test it for current with a multimeter.

Jeff is correct with his ID, BTW.

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 12-05-2017 at 01:15 PM..
Old 12-05-2017, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
beancounter

Seems to me that your overboost protection might be disabled. I’d recommend looking into that and hooking that up properly as it can save your bacon if other problems occur, such as a wastgate failure.

Both the overboost sensor and the boost gauge sender would have been attached to the bypass valve (not the intercooler) on an unmodified car. Both those items need a good path to ground in order to function properly which can sometimes be a problem when they are mounted to the intercooler (as they are with the Kokeln and many “longneck” style intercoolers). On my car, I installed an auxiliary ground wire between the Kokeln intercooler and the engine block to insure those two sending units mounted to the I/C work properly.

You need to find the wire from the factory harness that should be attached to that overboost sensor...you might find that is has been grounded somewhere to the engine.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Everything that has said Jwasbury is correct. It is certainly an additional grounding cable for the Kokeln. The overboost cable is white.

Bob Can you send me a picture of your engine, area under Intercooler, I also want to install a Kokeln and does not know what to do with all the lines.
Thanks Dominik

andrahase@arcor.de

Last edited by Dominik 930; 12-05-2017 at 08:25 PM..
Old 12-05-2017, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Capt Bob

Garage
See attached photo what i believe should be the white overboost cable push on connection to ground via ring terminal.

Bob
Old 12-06-2017, 03:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
beancounter

Hi Bob,

If you leave that one unplugged, car should not start because fuel pumps won’t run...assuming its the overboost wire (looks like it). Hate to see it disabled like that, but sadly seems rather common.

Plug it into the sender on the I/C, make sure the I/C is well grounded and you should start and run fine. Then you will want to take the car for a full boost run and test to see if the overboost cut off is being triggered. This may happen because you’re getting too much boost pressure (uh oh, better do a leak down test). Or it could happen if the overboost sender/switch is faulty.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Hello Bob,
If you are not sure, then I will build my intercooler tomorrow and take pictures. my car is in the original condition of 1986
Old 12-06-2017, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Yep, yep, yep, and yepper.....to all the advice. Further proof of the wealth of knowledge that resides here. I'll have to stay awake nights to beat the early loggers in order to contribute anymore. These cars are so damn simple....but only after a multi-year introductory course.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Capt Bob

Garage
I second Mark's post regarding all the advice. Thanks everyone!

For me, electrical gremlins can really through a monkey wrench it what you think is a simple 5 minute job...
Old 12-08-2017, 03:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: