Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
A much different kind o boost

Hey guys, I haven't posted in forever but I still troll from time to time. The 930 has been all sorted out for a couple years and running great thanks to help from many here.

I thought you might get a kick out of my latest venture. A couple of months ago I added the new NSX to the stable. TT hybrid AWD with a silly amount of tech piled in. The handling and instant acceleration at any speed is really something else.

At the same time, it's also reinforced what a special car the 930 is. 30 years on the clock and it still has so many traits that put a great big smile on my face. It's fun owning bookends of supercar technology.

Here's a few pics of automotive time travel

83 SC Cab - Guards Red [SOLD]
Old 12-21-2017, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Very nice bunch of rides, there!
Old 12-22-2017, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
The NSX looks very (Blade Runner) science fiction next to the 930.
Love the color!
Old 12-22-2017, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

PrimeMvr, solid choice on the color!! I absolutely LOVE the Nouvelle Blue Pearl!! It joins some great stablemates.

If you have some free time, can you do a quick review on how you like the NSX?

I know many people in my circles were turned off by the accord-esque interior trim. A few original NSX owners who passed on it, instead going for a McLaren 670S and a used MP412C, but we never talked about why. I did get to drive the new NSX around town, and the car performed well, but it just didn't excite me. Maybe my expectations were much higher than expected since the original NSX was such a groundbreaking car?
Too many Miata's to count.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Eric,

The automotive jury is split on the NSX for sure. Most car mags have come around after spending more time with it. I do think it's a very niche car that is having a hard time defining it's niche. Ferraris are historic, beautiful, fast. Lambos are wild, visceral, loud. McLarens are unique, exotic, different. And we all know Porsches are rock solid, iconic and relatively easy to drive hard.

Where does the NSX fit? I personally think they completely blew the marketing of this car by talking about it being a 458/R8/570S competitor. They are such different animals. If they had tagged it a bargain-baby 918/P1/LaF the 200k price tag would have looked like a steal. Instead, they botched the rollout and deliveries, barely marketed it at all and framed it in the wrong space.

Although a very different car, it does have much of the innovation spirit of the original. The manufacturing techniques, bespoke engine, crazy tech in the suspension, hybrid and braking systems, intense aero design, etc. But Acura didn't trumpet all of that and they should have.

As for my impressions... I drove the car home from TX to Iowa, and had about two weeks of decent weather before I had to put it away for the winter. I had some very spirited drives, but won't get to push it on the track until spring.

The good:

1. The programming of the hybrid system is unreal. Under hard acceleration there is zero turbo lag and you barely feel the shifts. The EV motors launch and then fill in the very fast DCT and it almost feels like a CVT. Launch control starts are a blast.

2. The suspension is fantastic. Very compliant on a droning highway, yet super stiff in a hard corner.

3. The looks. It's covered in very unique and intricate aero details. Obviously looks are a subjective thing, but I love it and it gets a lot of attention because there are so few of them in the wild that most people have never seen one in person. The blue Andaro paint is stunning.

4. I really like the progressive steering. Some have knocked it as numb, and that's fair, but when pushed it tightens up and has good feedback for a car with so much going on with torque vectoring, traction/yaw/stability control. The steering wheel feel is second to none, even if the controls are identical to my wife's MDX.

5. Multiple driving modes. A Lambo fan would say why on earth would a supercar have a quite mode, but I will drive this car A LOT and on the long drive back home it was nice not to have to listen to a loud droning exhaust. I've taken my BB header 930 on a 9 hour drive before and that was about my absolute limit. In Sport+ it has a nice sound, but it's not going to turn heads. Downshifts in the higher revs sound pretty sweet and are instant.

6. Again with comfort and DD worthiness, the seats are great. I'm 5' 9". If I was shorter or taller, I would complain about the lack of seat adjustment (no up/down or bottom tilt) but they fit me just right and the bolsters are perfect.

The bad:

1. The parts bin Android touchscreen system with Garmin nav is pretty terrible. It looks decent, but it's slow as snot. It also has some unintuitive menus that drive me nuts. The ELS stereo is pretty good though.

2. The parts bin drive selector. The button to switch between auto and manual is so far back it feels like you are hunting for it. The park button is hard to hit without thinking about it. Fortunately the car puts it into park automatically when you shut it off, but I like the assurance of hitting it myself first.

3. Interior storage is terrible. The doors are super thick and they could have easily added pockets or bins like a 911 and they would have been twice as big. The door of the glove box is huge, but it reveals a tiny compartment inside. The trunk is laughable. Sure you can squeeze golf clubs in because it's so wide, but it's so shallow that suitcases have to be of the lunchbox variety.

4. USB ports are in the stupidest places. One inside the glove box and one on the back wall between the seats. Seriously Honda?

5. Front and rear styling could have been more aggressive without losing the Acura heritage. I like the front corner intakes, the lights on front and back, and the exhaust tips. The rest is just meh.

6. Stock tires are TERRIBLE. I've had it sideways a few times and even all four tires spinning at 60 on a damp hill. Easy, although expensive, fix, but why they would ship this car with such crappy tires is beyond me.

7. I wish they would have turned up the HP a bit more. It's fast, but it feels like plenty was left on the table in favor of Honda reliability. Over 600 would have helped in the marketing dept as well.

As you can tell, I love the way it drives when pushed and it's very comfortable as a DD. The interior leaves a lot to be desired in functionality, but I generally like the way it looks. The white leather with black alcantara is striking. The reliability and service should be top notch. I've had 13 Honda/Acura products over the years and have never been disappointed with that part.

So why were sales so soft? When the original came out, not only was it a great car, but Acura was an up and coming brand that had delivered the Integra alongside some nice, unique sedans and basically invented the Japanese luxury market. Look at the past decade and Acura has managed to sell MDXs and not much else.

They proceeded to screw the people who had put down 5-figure deposits three years ago by delivering dealer showroom cars first that had every option and created a public perception that the price was $200+ when people were thinking it would be $125 for years. Had those folks been able to get their cars right away at $175-190, they would have been happy and driving them around and there wouldn't have been all the articles saying "a $200,000 Acura?!!?" A lot of the early depositors got frustrated and bought McLarens and Audis.

The other screw up related to those high option showroom cars is that no one could test drive them. Ferrari can get away with that, but that's because people who buy them have driven other Ferraris and know what to expect. The NSX was such a different car that effectively no one in the marketplace had ever driven anything like it, and now they couldn't even try one before forking out the money.

Once Acura created the demo program and offered incentives to market-adjust the price, they sold like crazy at the end of the year. But in true lost-their-way-Acura style, the demo program is gone for 2018 and they are back to the old pricing with no incentives. I expect soft sales again for the upcoming year. They aren't even going to stock them in dealer showrooms, so now a potential buyer is double-blind.

I can't even begin to predict what the future of this car will be. The GT3 version is doing well on the track and there are rumors of a non-hybrid variant for the street, so we'll see. I'm very happy I have it and can't wait for spring to get here. But I say that every December

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all you crazy Pelicans.

Steve
Old 12-22-2017, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that in depth review, it was some nice insight!!

I completely agree with you on the abysmal marketing effort by Honda/Acura. Being the halo car, marketing should have done lots more. After seeing the Jay Leno/ Jerry Seinfeld ad, I never saw anything again.

From a manufacturing side, they will always do pretty good. I guess I was expecting something that didn’t necessarily look the way it did. While it does have a NSX-esque look, I see it more as a mish-mash of a whole bunch of different cars. It has been pretty good, but also horrendous through the variations in styling over the years. I kind of wish they went more of the HSC route, but I’m glad it didn’t turn out like the ASCC because that car is absolutely hideous!

I’m really surprised the navigation is horrendous. I’ve owned 4 Acura’s, and the navigation was always super intuitive and easy to use. My last Acura was a RL in 2004, and I noticed the navigation started to get a bit slow, but it wasn’t at the point where I would get irritated. I’m quite surprised that interior storage is so minimal, and simple things like USB ports being included last minute as an afterthought. It’s like a compromise between everyday supercar and track weapon…. At least it’s included!

What kind of tires shipped with your NSX? I’m guessing some sort of all seasons, instead of Pilot Super Sports?

Horsepower wise I agree. They’ve always been ultra conservative about engine displacement and power, unfortunately. I’m not sure what motor they are using, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the same old J35 motor, just tweaked a little bit. The stats on the J35 and the NSX motor are very similar.

I would possibly be interested in the NSX without the hybrid setup. Realtime Racing is running the NSX GT3 without the hybrid system and RWD only, if I remember right. Can’t wait to see how well they do next year!

I hope you had a great Christmas, and a happy new year!
Old 12-26-2017, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Thanks for the review, very well put.

I saw a new NSX in the flesh a few weeks back and I have to say its one of those cars that just doesn't photograph well. In person I think the design is fantastic, and you chose correctly on the color for sure.

I'll have to stalk you when I am back home in Fairfield, I sometimes dream of driving the 930 out but from Seattle thats a long haul in the old girl.
https://medium.com/@crashingdoor
Old 12-26-2017, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the info, I really like the looks of the new NSX, there isn't many new cars that catch my eye but this car does it for me. Someone in my neighborhood had a nice black one sitting in his driveway and I had a good look at it. Sh-wing!!
Old 12-28-2017, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric at Pelican Parts View Post
What kind of tires shipped with your NSX? I’m guessing some sort of all seasons, instead of Pilot Super Sports?

Horsepower wise I agree. They’ve always been ultra conservative about engine displacement and power, unfortunately. I’m not sure what motor they are using, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the same old J35 motor, just tweaked a little bit. The stats on the J35 and the NSX motor are very similar.

I hope you had a great Christmas, and a happy new year!
The stock tires are Continental Sports. You could get Pirrelis for an extra two grand, but I figured since I'm effectively paying for the Contis anyway, I'm going to burn them off at the track and replace with PSS.

The motor is a one-off 75 degree 3.5L.

Merry Christmas and happy new year to you!
Old 12-28-2017, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Volt View Post

I'll have to stalk you when I am back home in Fairfield, I sometimes dream of driving the 930 out but from Seattle thats a long haul in the old girl.
Fairfield Iowa or Illinois? I'm in Dubuque. Definitely let me know if your here in the summertime.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeMvr View Post
The stock tires are Continental Sports. You could get Pirrelis for an extra two grand, but I figured since I'm effectively paying for the Contis anyway, I'm going to burn them off at the track and replace with PSS.

The motor is a one-off 75 degree 3.5L.

Merry Christmas and happy new year to you!
Never tried the Continental Sports, but so far the Continental Extreme Contact Sports have been pretty good to me. I think they're placed at the top of the max summer performance tire for Continental. I would say they're pretty comparable to the PSS. But now that PSS are effectively discontinued, the new Michelin PS4S raises the bar even higher. You'll definitely like it!
Old 12-29-2017, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: