Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Bosch S6 or Optima Red Top

I have a optima red top that is 8 years old. Was going to replace it with another optima but noticed the bosch S6 looked to be a real nice battery and itís size.. itís the same size as the oem porsche battery. At $300 itís more expensive than the optima.

My thoughts are that the optima has lasted me 8 years but the bosch S6 looks to be the best battery currently offered.

I do like the fact the optima will not leak acid.

So which battery is better for a g body porsche?

Last edited by 93097004xx; 12-25-2017 at 06:17 AM..
Old 12-25-2017, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Neither. Too heavy and unnecessary. These cars have zero computers draining them when not in use. And the low compression does not require a lot of cranking torque.
Get the Odyssey PC 925 and mount. It will bolt in with no modifications.
It slides into the bracket to the back and the front mount fits in an existing threaded hole perfectly holding the battery in place. You do need a longer ground wire. Any parts store will have one.

Mount. ODYSSEY battery ‚Äď Hold Down Kits

Old 12-25-2017, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Deez, I've actually been using the mini-beef (like you ) PC-680 for 7+ years - no problems, even with all my extra condenser fans, etc., and an amazing amount of staying power (like me ) even when stranded on the side of the road and repeated cranking as I replaced multiple relays, and so forth. Like you said, it takes nothing to turn these super low static compression engines.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Mr Staypower, you probably should refrain from cranking it on the roadside, the interweb is everywhere.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Too late for me - am pretty sure there is already video of said cranking on the interwebs (been downloaded to millions of PCs worldwide)!
Old 12-25-2017, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Iím thinking the S6 would have supreme power and would be close to OEM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2017, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Looks like there is some kind of difference on the 84 and up 930s in the battery area so I use a S5.

It looks like the S6 was never a option not sure why but no parts sites list this as a option for a 930 that I see.

So a Bosch S4 looks like best option or a optima.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2017, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hey there,

If one goes with a light little battery...remember about doing a new corner balance, the stock size batteries weight a ton, the little ones don't.

Mark
Old 12-26-2017, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Administrator

I've had a lot of friends tell me the newer optima batteries (within the past 2 years) don't hold up as well as the old ones. A few years ago, my friends had to change their red tops every 2 years or so...

I'm still running a red top from 6 years ago with no issues. 3 years ago it was pretty much completely drained from being left unattended without a battery tender, but my buddy hooked it up to a float charger for two days and it came back to life. Running strong without issues to this day still. If and when it does go, I'm probably going to look at the Bosch.
Too many Miata's to count.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Hey there,

If one goes with a light little battery...remember about doing a new corner balance, the stock size batteries weight a ton, the little ones don't.

Mark
Yep - the left front ride height raised more than an inch when I replaced the boat anchor battery with the mini-beef.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: