Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Slantnose from HELL

A pair of 54’s seems to be what the math is leaning towards. It is close to a older Stage 2 turbine.
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 01-03-2018, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
Happy New Year!
Stay twins for sure! Your engine setup is too trick to revert back to single, and the fabrication necessary to go with newer twins won't be too involved.
Email me specifics on the engine (bore x stroke, CR, cams, redline, headers size, etc) and I'll reply with suggestions.
Thanks Chris,
I figured since your build list is pretty broad you would have much more knowledge of big new style singles. Fabrication is the easy part if it did go that way. Will stick to the duece!
Old 01-04-2018, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Is there any easy way to share the math or compressor map?

What's the displacement and redline?
92 Corvette - Nitto NT01
Old 01-04-2018, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

If you're wanting a single, I've seen a lot of V8's have good luck with the Borg-Warner S475 or S480 if you're around the 1k HP range.

I think they're usually around a 1.32 AR on the hit side. Of course, these are 5.3 and 6.0L respectively, so a smaller AR would be probably be needed. But, then again, your engine flows really well being Xtreme heads and GT2 Evo cams and maybe spool larger than 1 AR fine?
Old 01-04-2018, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

The S475 I’ve run in a compound setup over a S363 in my diesel . The S475 is a full T-6. But the turbine wheels are huge. Definetly would work with a 5-6 liter engine. I could spoil it but it would be laggy. The best BW for a EFI flat 6 is the S364.5. It has a decent turbine but not too big like all the rest of the SX turbos. To equal both of my current setup I would need at least a 4” wheel, and it would be a turd until it lite.

Last edited by GJF; 01-04-2018 at 08:15 AM..
Old 01-04-2018, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

have you thought of a sequential set up? I.E one side smaller than the other? so you have one to spool up at lower rpm's and carry the load until the Big one can spool up? I think the 959's were set up like this. There was an equalization line between the two banks so that exhaust system pressure stayed equal on both sides.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 01-04-2018, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
have you thought of a sequential set up? I.E one side smaller than the other? so you have one to spool up at lower rpm's and carry the load until the Big one can spool up? I think the 959's were set up like this. There was an equalization line between the two banks so that exhaust system pressure stayed equal on both sides.
With a compound setup the boost onset is really fast when they are sized right. To really run a 4” wheel, boost pressure would need to be around 60 psi combined to spool the T6. not to mention the weight and the packaging of a T4 and a T6 in our cars. Two smaller frame turbos would make more power and weigh less and take up less room.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

i thought a compound set up was two in series, I was talking about two in parelel but different sizes.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 01-04-2018, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
i thought a compound set up was two in series, I was talking about two in parelel but different sizes.
Interpretation makes a big difference. Compound is one small turbocharger using the exhaust gas to power it to turbocharge a larger turbo that will ultimately turbocharge the engine. Parallel is the typical twin turbo configuration. Sequential Turbo is also parallel but one small turbo and one big turbo with a valve that Bypasses the small turbo in favor for a bigger turbo once boost is achieved. So you could make spool time really short but all depends on the turbo sizing.
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 01-04-2018, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

ok that's what I thought. have you considered sequential? or is that old technology that never really worked well
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 01-04-2018, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Wait, compound is when a large turbo feeds the smaller one.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 01-04-2018, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Slantnose from HELL

It can be either way. It doesn’t matter which one is feeding which. Compound is compound. On a diesel the small turbos exhaust out drives the large turbos turbine in and the additional airflow is feed into the inlet of the small turbo and combined pressures are merged. Interpretation once again sometimes confuses
Old 01-04-2018, 05:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

A pair of GTX3071R Gen2 turbos would look super sexy, one of them being reverse rotation.
Total symmetry for the exhaust and charge pipes! The Type-A's dream!
More fab work, though...

Easiest to stick with the same style turbine housings and just upgrade all the internals, utilize CHRAs with modern aerodynamics and ball bearings.

"F1" -- do you presently have older Turbonetics turbochargers, thus the reference to "F1" for the upgrade?
Sorry, haven't searched for older posts with specific details of your engine build, other than the "3.2L based" from your old signature.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 01-05-2018, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Thanks Chris, You know I did spec the GTX3017R’s especially the left and right options. They have been a constant reference. Are the turbine housings left and right as well or just the compressor sections? I have a set of hybrid Turbonetics turbos now. I know they have had the F1 line up of turbines for a while so I’m not sure other than the tip profile what the difference is in the wheels. Chris check your PM. Thanks

Last edited by GJF; 01-05-2018 at 01:51 PM..
Old 01-05-2018, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Not sure whether I've missed it, but what was the root cause of the drivers side turbo failing?

I was going to jokingly suggest Lancia 037 twin charging or something like what Ford are now looking to do, and turbocharging each cylinder individually with baby turbos!

...but I won't suggest that
1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo project here... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-syvecs-life-racing-engine-management.html
On Instagram (along with other stuff) as @spenny_.b #spennybengineproject
Old 01-05-2018, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

The GTX3071R has literally the same turbines Ive been running but a smaller compressor section than my old turbos. The GTX3076R would be where I want to be, if only it had the turbines of the GTX3071R.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Well after bouncing options around I was pulling the AN fittings off the turbos and look at what I found! A piece of debris looks to be a piece of ptfe or rubber from a hose trapped in the orifice of the fitting restricting oil to the drivers side turbo! 😡

Old 01-14-2018, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

That really sucks!!! Sorry to hear.
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 01-14-2018, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Yeah it sucks, but at least you have your answer...could be a cheaper exercise than first thought (no mods required....rebuild...clear for take-off)
1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo project here... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-syvecs-life-racing-engine-management.html
On Instagram (along with other stuff) as @spenny_.b #spennybengineproject
Old 01-15-2018, 01:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: