Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Slantnose from HELL

Lost my turbos

Had a bad popping on high boost. I thought it was ignition related and started diagnosing. Found both E Core coils were way out of spec and replaced them with new MSD TFI units. Plenty of spark but still popping. I started thinking possibly a boost leak and started to test. I pulled off the intake boot off the drivers side turbo and low and behold the shaft play is way too much!! Looks like the impeller has dug into the compressor housing as well. So one turbo for sure is done. I still need to pull the passenger turbo and check itís end play. The big question is since these are older technology turbos, I would have to upgrade both. So do I stay twin turbo or reconfigure to a big single? Chris any input?

Last edited by GJF; 12-31-2017 at 02:36 PM..
Old 12-31-2017, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
I'm not Chris but it seems like a lot of work, parts, and $$ to change from twins to single turbo. I'd have your turbos rebuilt or take the opportunity to upgrade. Either way I'd stay twin.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Big, twin turbos are a euphemism for what your car has swangin', so best to keep the deuce!
Old 12-31-2017, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Are you trolling us???!!! GJF asking for advice having the highest hp car in the forum. What is this world coming to?!?!

I vote for twin GT35R's like Bello.

Or twin Precision 6262's?
Old 12-31-2017, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Trolling naaaught! Just throwing out ideas. With the new GTX turbos being able to hit 1K with quick spool it had me thinking. Even F1 turbines with 60mm wheels sound appealing.... I still am leaning forwards the twins. I really donít mind the fabrication if stay twins there will still be some fab work as I will probably go v-band on everything🤪
Old 12-31-2017, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I would stay in your place with both turbos and I would put the best of the planet! V-band, hot body in stainless steel and the reel fastest possible, In brief the best turbos.

Last edited by Pat RUFBTR; 01-01-2018 at 02:36 AM..
Old 01-01-2018, 02:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Brando

Garage
I like twin too
Old 01-01-2018, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

If you are used to the older turbos, you will LOVE the new GTX versions!!! You need to water cool them though.... I learned the hard way.
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 01-03-2018, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Thus just two small GTX3584RS on each side!
Old 01-03-2018, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

I have one GTX3584RS on my engine... I can not imagine having two of them!!! good grief!! LOL
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 01-03-2018, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrat930 View Post
If you are used to the older turbos, you will LOVE the new GTX versions!!! You need to water cool them though.... I learned the hard way.
Yeah, but doesn't the whallop, sledgehammer to the back sensation go away?

That's been my experience with newer designed turbos.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I have one GTX3584RS on my engine... I can not imagine having two of them!!! good grief!! LOL
I know it, this is why I made this remark!
Two GTX28RS then!
Old 01-03-2018, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
Yeah, but doesn't the whallop, sledgehammer to the back sensation go away?

That's been my experience with newer designed turbos.
No, that is not what causes that.. going EFI makes the engine and power delivery more linear. That is why you do not get as much on/off feeling as the older CIS cars.
But, rest assured that if you were to ride in GJF's car, I would bet that you could definitely feel the G forces during acceleration!!
Old 01-03-2018, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Mine is always in CIS and nevertheless my felt with the new turbo precision 6766 is more the same than with my former k27/29, it looks like almost an atmospheric big atmo to low rpm.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJF View Post
The big question is since these are older technology turbos, I would have to upgrade both. So do I stay twin turbo or reconfigure to a big single? Chris any input?
Happy New Year!
Stay twins for sure! Your engine setup is too trick to revert back to single, and the fabrication necessary to go with newer twins won't be too involved.
Email me specifics on the engine (bore x stroke, CR, cams, redline, headers size, etc) and I'll reply with suggestions.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 01-03-2018, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Since i now live in town i would love to come by and see that beauty some time.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 01-03-2018, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
No, that is not what causes that.. going EFI makes the engine and power delivery more linear. That is why you do not get as much on/off feeling as the older CIS cars.
But, rest assured that if you were to ride in GJF's car, I would bet that you could definitely feel the G forces during acceleration!!
I don't think EFI has much to do with it. I think it's the difference between open turbine housings with low PR compressors (sledgehammers) vs divided turbines with high PR compressors (linear).

The low pressure ratio compressors put out maximum flow at low boost levels whereas high pressure ratio compressors put out maximum flow at high boost levels.

It's all in their efficiency islands.

My car has always been EFI, and the old school 60-1 HiFi (60mm) hit like a sledgehammer to your back at only 1 bar.

My Holset HX40 (58mm) and Borg-Warner S366 (66mm) don't hit near as hard even at 1.4 bar.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
. . .
Email me specifics on the engine (bore x stroke, CR, cams, redline, headers size, etc) and I'll reply with suggestions.
I've heard that GinormousGerry's engine is only producing 167hp (per cylinder )- hope that helps!
Old 01-03-2018, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Slantnose from HELL

Dug in her a little more tonight. The passenger side turbo is damn near perfect. All within spec. I’m going to pull both turbos this weekend and box them up for F1 turbines and 60mm compressors. Just need to do some math and calculate air mass and flow rates off the head data.
Twin Garrett's, Big Valve, Xtreme Cylinder Heads, JB Racing cylinders and machine work, custom JE pistons, GT2 EVO cams, GT3 oil pump, modified 3.2L intake, 80mm TB, custom Intercooler, equal length headers, DFI, KEP Stage 2 custom twin disc, G50 custom gear set, LSD, Tilton trans pump, Fluidyne cooler
Old 01-03-2018, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

What size wheel? I looked up F1 and seems to be Turbonetics designation that covers nearly all their wheel sizes.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: