Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to VZ935
When I took my 550 Maranello to the Ferrari dealer they wanted to change all the injectors. I said, "how can all the injectors be bad? Can we check them?" They would not. They wanted to change all of them to the tune of $11,000.00 .
It made no sense to me so I had it picked up and took it to my buddy Rob King at S.Car.Go. Rob pulled all the injectors, ran them through his cleaner/dyno and found one bad injector . All the rest were perfect. $900.00 later I was on the road with no issues.

So you are correct about Ferrari trying to make it sound like no one can work on a Ferrari unless they are a dealer/factory trained mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onboost View Post
Some of us perform "diy" on Ferraris too... however, the Ferrari community is a bit more prickly to deal with than the Porsche community.

I've always said that Ferrari did one helluva marketing job around creating the "maintenance Mystique" for there cars. Most in that prickly community believe;
- That no one outside of a factory trained tech should touch these cars.
- In some cases this is true, depends on model and issue
- All parts boxes should have the Prancing Hor$e.
- Non-authorized service is sacrilegious and de-values your car
- depends on model and issue, and skill level of person doing the work.. the same I think holds true for our Porsches.

- When attending an event, you should wear Gucci

The availability of new parts is a bit more limited depending upon model, and everyone thinks they're gold. Used parts aren't much better in some cases... however you can cross reference much many of the parts because they were manufactured for something else. Fuel delivery and most of the eclectics are Bosch, brakes are ATE, and/or Girling in some cases. I get quite a laugh about the F-car mark-up. Stock Koni shocks are ridiculously expensive whether new or rebuilt and many owners are switching to QA1s w/Eibach springs to save cash and get adjustability and better handling.

Most of the engines, again depending on model, can be removed from top or bottom, as the cars do have a race bred heritage and it shows when disassembling them.
For the timing belts.. its pretty much if you're capable of doing one on any of the twin cam jap cars, you can do one of these. Follow the process and use common sense.

so that's my take..
Old 01-05-2018, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Interesting thread.
I met some time ago a wrench who worked in the UK for a dealership that serviced Porsche and Ferrari. He warned me not to buy a ferrari - unless I had a bank balance with lots of 0's in it. He spoke very highly of the rugged build of the Porsche, and the relative low cost of running one. He also mentioned the cam belts. No one has mentioned the clutch cost but the F ones are not cheap apparently.
But I did decide, if I ever owned a Ferrari, I would service/rebuild it myself. It is after all a non-random collection of nuts and bolts, like every other piece of machinery. But the cost of bits, as per previous posts, I think would put me off. I would be comparing everything to P costs and feeling grumpy. And P costs aren't cheap - esp gearbox bits. But at least they last.
Out of interest - for the guys who have both, how do those Ferraris drive as a performance car driving experience compared to a 930?
Regards
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 01-06-2018, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L View Post
Interesting thread.
I met some time ago a wrench who worked in the UK for a dealership that serviced Porsche and Ferrari. He warned me not to buy a ferrari - unless I had a bank balance with lots of 0's in it. He spoke very highly of the rugged build of the Porsche, and the relative low cost of running one. He also mentioned the cam belts. No one has mentioned the clutch cost but the F ones are not cheap apparently.
But I did decide, if I ever owned a Ferrari, I would service/rebuild it myself. It is after all a non-random collection of nuts and bolts, like every other piece of machinery. But the cost of bits, as per previous posts, I think would put me off. I would be comparing everything to P costs and feeling grumpy. And P costs aren't cheap - esp gearbox bits. But at least they last.
Out of interest - for the guys who have both, how do those Ferraris drive as a performance car driving experience compared to a 930?
Regards
Alan

I've never owned a Ferrari but I have driven plenty back in the 80's, I have 2-930 turbos
Old 01-06-2018, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

So, how do they compare - as a driving experience?
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 01-06-2018, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

What car would you rather have?

A 930 that you bought new in 1979 and now has 50k miles but is immaculate and it cost you 15k for dealer maintenance over that time or a 1972 365 GTB4 that you bought used in 1979, has 50k miles, is also immaculate but cost you 45k to have it dealer maintained over that same period...
Old 01-06-2018, 04:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Well, based on cost alone, no contest.
So does the F car justify the extra costs as a driving experience? If not, you would have to wonder why people spend that much money maintaining something that hurts the wallet every time you start it up.
Alan
Old 01-06-2018, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VZ935 View Post
When I took my 550 Maranello to the Ferrari dealer they wanted to change all the injectors. I said, "how can all the injectors be bad? Can we check them?" They would not. They wanted to change all of them to the tune of $11,000.00 .
It made no sense to me so I had it picked up and took it to my buddy Rob King at S.Car.Go. Rob pulled all the injectors, ran them through his cleaner/dyno and found one bad injector . All the rest were perfect. $900.00 later I was on the road with no issues.

So you are correct about Ferrari trying to make it sound like no one can work on a Ferrari unless they are a dealer/factory trained mechanic.
Jeez, some of these anecdotes and displays of (F-car community) stupidity and ignorance just make my teeth itch. Much as I do love the look of a number of F-cars, I'd spend my time being constantly annoyed by the prices of keeping it on the road, completely detrimental to the enjoyment and always wondering whether you dare to fire her up and enjoy a drive out.

But....what I would say is that there's also plenty of Porsche outfits (certainly in the UK) that would also willingly insist on changing all injectors without any explanation or diagnosis...it seems to be endemic with any prestige brand, simply preying on the "money rich, time poor" stereotypical owners. As we all know, choosing your trusted independent dealer/shop is directly linked to your eventual enjoyment of the car.
1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo project here... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-syvecs-life-racing-engine-management.html
On Instagram (along with other stuff) as @spenny_.b #spennybengineproject

Last edited by Spenny_b; 01-06-2018 at 04:55 PM..
Old 01-06-2018, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

"Well, based on cost alone, no contest.
So does the F car justify the extra costs as a driving experience? If not, you would have to wonder why people spend that much money maintaining something that hurts the wallet every time you start it up.
Alan"

Hi Alan,

The sound of a Ferrari V-12 is pretty darn nice, and with around 350 NA hp I'd say the 365 would be more fun. I remember, (unfortunately) when they could have been had for around 40k, which at the time was still a lot of money of course for the average working stiff. But if at the time, I'd had the foresight to get one, I wonder if I would be too scared to drive it today because of what they're now worth?

Anyway, I'm doing a '65 VW double cab pickup now so am at the opposite end of the spectrum and it's kind of nice. A complete set of good bearings can be had for under a 100. And with that you get a 0-60 time of about what it takes to smoke a good cigar!

Steve
Old 01-07-2018, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
^^^ Focus Steve focus! Get back to work on the Turbo and stop messing with all that other stuff.

There are some Ferraris' I could own and drive and there are some that are too flashy for me.
Like Lamborghinis' just too much of a "LOOK AT ME" car. The people driving them appear to not know anything about cars. They just know what they cost.
And I don't own a gold chain.

Last edited by 1979-930; 01-07-2018 at 06:55 AM..
Old 01-07-2018, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L View Post
So, how do they compare - as a driving experience?
Alan
Apples to oranges...

The testarossa sounds amazing. Turbine like.... It's a "wow" car... But, it's hardly driven. For fear of damaging it, you really don't park and leave it. You also don't track it. I did years ago, spun twice...

The Porsche 930 is more drive able. A lot of that is due to lower cost. If I damage the Porsche, it will cost $$$. If you damage the Ferrari, it's $$$$$$$. The Porsche is fun to throw around, and push...

At this point, the Ferrari is more of an investment than a car... I bought it 15 years ago... They are waaaay more expensive now....

Perhaps folks with huge bank accounts have the resources to really drive a Ferrari. The size of ones bank account comes into play...

My neighbor has a bunch of ferraris he races proffesionally and a La Ferrari, etc. if one is in that league, fully exploring the performance of a Ferrari is totally reasonable... If someone is worth hundreds of millions, does cost really matter?

Saw one of those realestate shows last night. Some guy was selling a house that cost 66 million to build. Original builder was a billionaire... Most of us can't relate.... That's the type of guy that can ruthlessly enjoy a Ferrari .

Last edited by bpu699; 01-07-2018 at 08:39 AM..
Old 01-07-2018, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted79 View Post
What car would you rather have?

A 930 that you bought new in 1979 and now has 50k miles but is immaculate and it cost you 15k for dealer maintenance over that time or a 1972 365 GTB4 that you bought used in 1979, has 50k miles, is also immaculate but cost you 45k to have it dealer maintained over that same period...
If they cost the same to buy I would take the Ferrari... That's a $700k car right now
Old 01-07-2018, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Right, so they are worth owning and driving - the real deal. Butttt, simply can't compare to the 930 for practical affordability. In which case, for most of us, they would end up as garage queens.
Glad I got to experience the 930. I could even afford to crash it. Once.
Alan
Old 01-07-2018, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VZ935 View Post
Funny thing is my Ferrari mechanic will charge about 1 hour of labor to remove and replace injectors on a 550. He sends them out to Bosch for a full service for a total of $750.00 for all 12. He did mention new ones (superior to the old design) would be $400 a piece.....still cheaper than the $11K you got quoted.

Ferrari's can be great cars but owners can get ripped off by indy shops and authorized Ferrari dealers. Due to the rise in Porsche values many Porsche Indy shops are raising their prices thus forcing many out of the hobby who don't do much of their own work.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

This thread has no pics......time for some pics......

New top end, 160k miles......still runs like a bat out of hell........makes the best noise....

I like P-cars and own a few and I like F-cars but own none.....fear of ownership costs...but have ended up spending plenty $$ on my P-car repairs........at the end of the day, we like what we like but we buy what we can afford (I like a lot of things I can't afford)......probably could have a single well maintained F-car but instead have several P-cars (mostly non-runners &#128580 but a ton of community and brotherhood and friendships as a result.......wouldn't trade that for an F-car, no F-car envy here; no gold chains either (well, maybe 1....scratch that..nevermind...)

Old 01-08-2018, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Seriously? What is all that stuff on the roof? What does that do for the performance or mpg? :-)
Ditch the gold chain and spend it on a turbo upgrade and all will be good - when you take that stuff off the roof :-)
Alan
Old 01-08-2018, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

The 930 is THE best and only classic super car to own!

I think part of the attraction to ferrariís is they are temperamental.. like beautiful woman that MUST have it her way..

I once heard that driving a 12 cylinder ferrari is very much like making love to a beautiful woman.

Get it right and it is one of the most rewarding experiences.

Get it wrong and there will not be a second time.

But letís face it ferrari knows how to make a car sound. They invented it.

458 Italia.. I mean the sound of this engine is pure automotive bliss!

The testarossa with tubi exhaust unbelievable!

Testarossa from 2:45 in this video sports exhaust

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qtDP9aHc_Js

458 italia (davide cironis videos and youtube channel are awesome. He could have been enzo farraris own son! By far the best automotive journalist at the moment. His videos are all worth a watch!)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F_BPjYk-F_U

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 93097004xx; 01-13-2018 at 08:54 AM..
Old 01-09-2018, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

.....dare to be different.....the roof rack worked well for a tent camping trip with my kids last may (Emory's Campout.)....never seen a Ferrari do that.......my 930 is more than a daily driver.....the rack can be removed in 1 minute for a track day, which I did a month ago.....toured eastern wa/or in September with no loss in performance......my way of adding to the mystique of the 930 and driving the piss out of it but well maintained every step of the way......and I traded the gold chain for a K27 a while back........)) thumbs up
Old 01-09-2018, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlion View Post
.....dare to be different.....the roof rack worked well for a tent camping trip with my kids last may (Emory's Campout.)....never seen a Ferrari do that.......my 930 is more than a daily driver.....the rack can be removed in 1 minute for a track day, which I did a month ago.....toured eastern wa/or in September with no loss in performance......my way of adding to the mystique of the 930 and driving the piss out of it but well maintained every step of the way......and I traded the gold chain for a K27 a while back........)) thumbs up
Awesome. Period.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

...oh.....and its in for fresh paint next week.......
Old 01-09-2018, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlion View Post
Yeah I like it, it's a nod to the Safari Rally cars or a Dakar tribute. Good on you.
1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo project here... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-syvecs-life-racing-engine-management.html
On Instagram (along with other stuff) as @spenny_.b #spennybengineproject
Old 01-09-2018, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: