Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Time for a new clutch?

I have just shy of 83k miles on the original clutch.

Today I got my foot in it hard a couple of times in 2nd and 3rd. When the boot came on the RPM shot up as normal, but while the car hardly accelerated I didn't get that JATO pack feel. I didn't get any clutch smell, but seems to me unless something has suddenly gone out of whack its time for a new clutch.

Does the panel concur?

Was adjusted fine 2 years ago, I haven't been back underneath the car since then, I'll check it out soon.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I would think if it's slipping enough for you notice, you should smell it.
Of you do need one, talk to TK. He sold me a lightweight clutch kit that works well at your power level. Uses a much lighter PP for faster revving. He doesn't recommend a LWFW generally. Not much weight saved, especially compared to the pressure plate.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Check for a massive boost leak. I had a similar problem.
1975 Carrera / 965 tribute w/ 1989 3.3 turbo 8.5:1, custom Evergreen K27 7200, 964 cams, euro CIS, TEC1 dual plug, rarlyL8 headers & hooligan pipe. 915/68 trans, kevlar clutch and lightweight pressure plate.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy View Post
Check for a massive boost leak. I had a similar problem.
No massive boost leak, boost gauge is pegged, the engine runs smoothly, doesn't go wildly lean or rich or bog down at all. RPMs spool up rapidly and smoothly, slightly faster than normal, the car just doesn't accelerate as fast. I see the tach needle zoom around, but the car just doesn't go. I'm not popping the WG, its not overboost kicking in, everything is normal.

Slightly less hard on the boost and everything is normal.

I would have expected to smell clutch as well, but its the only thing I can think of.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

It could be clutch slip - if the rpm are going up and car not moving. One thing you could do is slowly take the car up in speed - 2nd or 3rd. Watch the tach and mph. Pick a number - eg 4000 rpm, check mph.
Then do it again full boost. Check mph at 4000rpm. You may not smell the clutch given it is behind you.
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 01-14-2018, 10:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
When my pressure plate gave up the ghost, it slipped easily in 3rd on full boost, and slightly at the top rpm range in 2nd. There was no lead up to this failure, one day it was fine...the next it was toast.
Never smelled the telltale burning clutch disc...but then again, I never let it slip for any length of time. I knew what was up and just ordered a whole new clutch package from Chris at TK.

Mark
Old 01-15-2018, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
When my pressure plate gave up the ghost, it slipped easily in 3rd on full boost, and slightly at the top rpm range in 2nd. There was no lead up to this failure, one day it was fine...the next it was toast.
Never smelled the telltale burning clutch disc...but then again, I never let it slip for any length of time. I knew what was up and just ordered a whole new clutch package from Chris at TK.

Mark
Slippery slope, here I come
Old 01-15-2018, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
If you deal with Chris at TK, you will get the correct clutch assembly for your application, the price will be fair and competitive with other sources.

What you will get for free is the right advise, equating to the right parts, equaling no screwing around during install or function.

My .02 cents worth.

Mark
Old 01-15-2018, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
If you deal with Chris at TK, you will get the correct clutch assembly for your application, the price will be fair and competitive with other sources.

What you will get for free is the right advise, equating to the right parts, equaling no screwing around during install or function.

My .02 cents worth.

Mark
Yes I've dealt with Chris in the past, you guys can stop pestering me to call him, I'm planning on it.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Hey, you should call Chris at TK...
Old 01-17-2018, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

"Operators are standing by..."
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 01-17-2018, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

When my clutch last started slipping, it didn't smell either, but it is Kevlar.

My RMS leaked so bad, it caused the slippage, then the burning up of the Kevlar.

Maybe you have oil on the disc?
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 01-17-2018, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: