Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Turbo History Search - 1986 twinplug + EFI 930

Taking a long shot, but looking for any previous history or ownership of my Garnet Red 1986 930 coupe before 2015. It lived in California until about 2010, then went to New York (or New Jersey) until 2015.

Somewhere along the way it received twinplug heads with Electromotive DIS, and Motec M48 injection too. Currently has a stock 3DLZ turbo and intercooler, but upgrade parts may have been fitted once.

Looking for any prior owners, and any paper trail for the mods.

Thanks.

Last edited by Cornerlot; 02-05-2018 at 04:18 AM..
Old 01-30-2018, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerlot View Post
Taking a long shot, but looking for any previous history or ownership of my Garnet Red 1986 930 coupe, from prior to 2015. It lived in California until about 2010, then went to New York until 2015.

Somewhere along the way it received twinplug heads with Electromotive DIS, and Motec M48 injection too. Currently has a stock 3DLZ turbo and intercooler, but upgrade parts may have been fitted once.

Looking for any prior owners, and any paper trail for the mods.

Thanks.
You might want to post a pic of your car,that might help.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2018, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Well, these are pictures. Until 2017 it sported 18" turbo twist wheels, now exchanged for the proper 16x7/9 Fuchs. Somewhere it acquired those and some subtle cosmetic 993 mods, namely aero mirrors, ext. door handles, and a center brake light. Interior is Champagne and Brown leather.

Carfax indicates that it had a PPI in 2002 done by "Magoo's Automotive Consultants" in Ventura CA., now apparently out of business.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thank God you replaced those t-twisters with the fuchs.I wish I could help.Is the car still in Cali?

Old 02-01-2018, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbodman930 View Post
Thank God you replaced those t-twisters with the fuchs.I wish I could help.Is the car still in Cali?

Wheels made a world of difference! Iíll pull off the redundant 993 CHMSL bar from the rear glass this spring. Car is now up in frigid Michigan.

Today I sent the records request form to the Cali DMV to see if they could name some previous owners there. Worth the $5 fee, but they will only supply names without addresses.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Wheels made a world of difference! Iíll pull off the redundant 993 CHMSL bar from the rear glass this spring. Car is now up in frigid Michigan.

Today I sent the records request form to the Cali DMV to see if they could name some previous owners there. Worth the $5 fee, but they will only supply names without addresses.
That's because of stalkers.I live pretty close to Ventura,the previous owner could have lived out there.

Old 02-03-2018, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Still looking. Thanks.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Any leads are appreciated.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
The California DMV finally responded, and they tell me they can find no records of the car in in the system. Carfax show multiple registration renewals in California, and their own online BAR Smog Check record search show (8) tests from 1997 through 2008.

Evidently their DMV records are incomplete, or they lack the motivation to search them completely.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

MoTeC EFI with a stock turbo is like 87 octane gas in a top fuel dragster!

I hope you upgrade to realize a lot of hp gains! Headers and muffler too, to fill the bill.

GLW search.
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 03-19-2018, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
MoTeC EFI with a stock turbo is like 87 octane gas in a top fuel dragster!

I hope you upgrade to realize a lot of hp gains! Headers and muffler too, to fill the bill.

GLW search.
Either it was a mega-power project that was never completed, or (more likely) the expensive bolt-on bits were pulled off prior to a resale. Don't know what lies within, but besides the Motec EFI and Electromotive upgrades, the twin-plugged heads and ARP head studs hint at some serious internal mods.

Shame that no records survive with the car.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Awesome to get the hard upgrades already (MoTeC and tuned). Exhaust and turbo is easy.

Save weight, lower boost threshold, and pick up a lot of power.

Win-win-win
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 03-19-2018, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
Awesome to get the hard upgrades already (MoTeC and tuned). Exhaust and turbo is easy.
Save weight, lower boost threshold, and pick up a lot of power.
Win-win-win
Amen to that!
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 03-19-2018, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I can't help on finding the previous owner but I'm curious about the wheel swap. I'm currently running 17" wheels and have considered going back to 16" or narrower 17". It feels too cumbersome on the back road twisty's so I'm curious to hear your take on the difference in feel.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I can't help on finding the previous owner but I'm curious about the wheel swap. I'm currently running 17" wheels and have considered going back to 16" or narrower 17". It feels too cumbersome on the back road twisty's so I'm curious to hear your take on the difference in feel.
I went from 993 size 18" down to 930 size 16" mainly for looks. Frankly, don't notice any difference in the ride. The 16" are quieter, but that may have more to do with tread design and wear.

On another early widebody here I went from 997 sized 19" to aftermarket 17" (9" and 11"). It looks better and does ride better, that was VERY worthwhile.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Cornerlot: I just Googled : "Magoo's Automotive Consultants" in Ventura CA ---
I would post my results and info. I found phone number and address + on page 2 a story about the business being aquired by another company with more information. You may have seen this but not commented. I would have copy-pasted this except I have previously gotten serious moderator grief for doing something like this... posting public info! BUT whatever. This info may be useful to you and hopefully won't stir up the politeness police. [BTW Lacking some PO info could be that it was owned by someone in Law Enforcement and had the info "protected".]
Old 06-29-2018, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Bump.

Car is now listed on the PCA '930 Registry'.
Old Today, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: