Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Brake caliper seal question

Brembo 930 calipers, I'm rebuilding mine on the 79 turbo. When doing tear down I found the seal lips were toward the fluid chamber on the front calipers and facing out on the rears.

I learned a long time ago while working at MD pneumatics that the lips should face the fluid to prevent leakes. I did an Internet search and confirmed that the lips should face the fluid and face out for grease.

I had issues with one piston on one caliper so I sent it out for removal and they installed the seals and pistons while they had it. I was sent pics after the work was completed and the lips on the outer seals faced out.

I asked about it and was told by the service guy that he would inquire but never did hear back. I recieved email notification that it had shipped and would be back home Friday.

Does anybody know how Brembo says to install the outer lip seal?
Old 02-06-2018, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

There are a few threads on rebuilding the brakes. The ones I saw did not really refer to your problem. I got the impression there was no lip - there are a few pics. I did mine a while back and can't remember anything odd.
Maybe check thru a few of the older threads and see if there is a light bulb moment.
I searched 'brake seals'.
Regards
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 02-07-2018, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L View Post
There are a few threads on rebuilding the brakes. The ones I saw did not really refer to your problem. I got the impression there was no lip - there are a few pics. I did mine a while back and can't remember anything odd.
Maybe check thru a few of the older threads and see if there is a light bulb moment.
I searched 'brake seals'.
Regards
Alan
I did search, saw nothing definitive. I just sent an information request to Brembo, I'll see what they have to say.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
When I did mine, the seals were simply a square shoulder "O" ring, no lip, no front or back.

I've done many other brands of calipers as well, and have never seen any other style of caliper piston seal. German, American, Japanese....no difference.

Mark
Old 02-07-2018, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
When I did mine, the seals were simply a square shoulder "O" ring, no lip, no front or back.

I've done many other brands of calipers as well, and have never seen any other style of caliper piston seal. German, American, Japanese....no difference.

Mark
These have 2 per piston the square ones are the inner seal.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ok so you are talking about the "scraper ring" AKA dust seal, not the piston seal.

Those "scraper rings" have 2 distinct sides , one side you only see black rubber, the other side you see an outer steel ring with some black rubber on the inside.

Those "scraper rings" should be installed so that when pressed in there is still the visible steel ring showing and pointing toward the brake pad.

At least that's how mine were from the factory, and is how I installed them when I rebuilt them...40K miles on them so far...no issues.

Mark
Old 02-07-2018, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

take a closer look at the groove the seals go in. to me it looked like the bottom of the grooves were not "square" to the sides. IE, the bottom was angled so it would make the seals angled.

I put new seals in mine (don't think they needed them) and the new seals are "square". some of my old ones were like yours, had a raised side.

you need to use grease on the seals, especially if you put in new ones. I could not get the pistons to move at all without grease.
once you get the calipers back together, put a 2x4 in place where the rotor goes then use compressed air to pop the pistons out. make sure all come out at the same time. you should not need much air pressure, the less the better.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 02-08-2018, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by T77911S View Post
take a closer look at the groove the seals go in. to me it looked like the bottom of the grooves were not "square" to the sides. IE, the bottom was angled so it would make the seals angled.

I put new seals in mine (don't think they needed them) and the new seals are "square". some of my old ones were like yours, had a raised side.

you need to use grease on the seals, especially if you put in new ones. I could not get the pistons to move at all without grease.
once you get the calipers back together, put a 2x4 in place where the rotor goes then use compressed air to pop the pistons out. make sure all come out at the same time. you should not need much air pressure, the less the better.
My issue is the dust seal, I installed them backwards thinking they were oil seals also.
Everything I read referred to them as scraper seals making me think they were a second oil seal.

Someone before me redid the fronts, which I did first and they installed them backwards so I installed the same way. When I did the rears the seals there were opposite making me think those were backwards, now I know better.

I wish these seals were referred to as dust seals, not scrapers. I would have questioned the installation of the fronts when I did them.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Since the outers are simply dust & grim seals, I would not loose too much sleep over your current installation direction.
I certainly would not try to pry them out {and most likely damaging them in the process} , just to flip them around.
Most folks don't drive these cars enough or in dirty situation to warrant much concern over such a minor thing.
My .02 worth.

Mark
Old 02-08-2018, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Since the outers are simply dust & grim seals, I would not loose too much sleep over your current installation direction.
I certainly would not try to pry them out {and most likely damaging them in the process} , just to flip them around.
Most folks don't drive these cars enough or in dirty situation to warrant much concern over such a minor thing.
My .02 worth.

Mark
Thanks Mark
That's what I was thinking also, just would have been nice to know up front. Maybe someone else will see this thread and learn from it.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Well if it makes you feel any better....I completely rebuilt all 4 of my calipers trying to rid myself of an inconsistent wheel lock up under braking....only to find, all I really needed to do was have a proper corner balance done.

It's always something with these old girls, and always a learning curve.

Mark
Old 02-08-2018, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: