Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

boxster query

Yes, I know, there is a Boxster forum. BTDT. No reply. They seem an odd lot. Compared to this forum anyway. So I am hoping we have enough wrenches on this forum that may also have experience with Boxsters. I am surprised, searching thru the Boxster forum, at the number of issues with these engines. I thought our engines were the ones supposed to leak oil.
So I put a mates Boxster on the hoist to see where his oil was coming from - as per pics. My first guess would be the sump gasket. But then I find they don't have a gasket? Loctite seal, and torqued in place - any torque specs would help. Presumably inside to outside, diagonal.
Assuming we take the sump plate off. Anywhere else we should be looking for the leak? Common problem? Just a bit reluctant to go diving in to someone elses engine, completely blind. Sorry about posting on 930 - but no help elsewhere.
Regards
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 02-08-2018, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

you might have better luck over on the rennlist forum.
https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum-67-2.html
the 911 rennlist forum and the turbo one are mostly about how to detail your car instead of motor heads like here. However for my cayenne i go over there. looks like the boxster forum over there is better also.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 02-08-2018, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

the boxter engines are considered "throwaway" engines. when they need a rebuild just trash it and buy a new one. they are/were not that much.

a little tip, it may be ok over there but NEVER call a guy "mate" .
friend, drinking buddy, dude, guy, hombre, amigo, are all ok.
might also be good to just go ahead and refer to a boxter owner as a chic, no matter if a man owns it. also sounds better that you are working on some chics car.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 02-08-2018, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

I disagree that they're throw away motors. You can rebuild them.

They also make a lot more power than our beloved air-cooleds.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Seeing as you're posting Boxster questions in a Turbo forum, I feel obliged to post photos of our Boxster S Turbo 4.0:

email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 02-08-2018, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

not that there is anything wrong with that ..lol
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 02-08-2018, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Whoo - look at that - more replies from 930 forum in an hr or so than 2 days on Boxster forum.
Thanks guys. T77911S - are you serious about the 'mate'. Does it have some negative connotations across the equator? I don't think my friend, drinking buddy,dude, hombre, amigo will be thrilled when I tell him the engine is a throw-away. He will be hoping we can fix his oil leak I am sure.
Ken911 - does that mean I need to join the Rennlist forum - to post the Q?
Chris - I bet that beast goes like a scalded cat. I am impressed with their handling - drove an S once over some twisty back roads - the guy/dude/hombre/amigo was silly enough to lend it to me. Just point and squirt the gas.
Regards
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 02-08-2018, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T77911S View Post
the boxter engines are considered "throwaway" engines. when they need a rebuild just trash it and buy a new one. they are/were not that much.

a little tip, it may be ok over there but NEVER call a guy "mate" .
friend, drinking buddy, dude, guy, hombre, amigo, are all ok.
might also be good to just go ahead and refer to a boxter owner as a chic, no matter if a man owns it. also sounds better that you are working on some chics car.
Are you trying to be funny? It ain't working, mate.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Seriously guys, anyone got any experience with these engines/oil leaks. I know it is a long shot.
been searching thru the Rennlist threads. Not much help either, so far - other than some serious doom/gloom stories. I'm sticking with my air cooled buses. I know that much now.
Regards
Alan
Old 02-08-2018, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

That uses a Loctite product for sealing the oil pan:

Sealing Compound - Loctite 5900 (50 ml Tube)
Notes: For Engine Case, Oil Pan, Cylinder Head, Valve Cover.

It's basically the same as Hondabond, Yamabond.
Don't recall the torque spec off the top of my head, but you're safe doing standard torque for that thread size into aluminum.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 02-08-2018, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thanks Chris - helpful.
been trawling the Rennlist threads. This is funny;
UroTrash's RMS repair - 986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster Owners and Others
Alan
Old 02-08-2018, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
gearhead

Alan,
WAYNE wrote a 101 Boxster book like he did with the 911. I no longer have my copy nor a Boxster but I think it’s in there. Order up a copy.

And they aren’t throw away engines. Just had my Cayman rebuilt. Broke a valve spring at 175k mi. Nothing else wrong with it.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-10-2018, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

hi Matt,
Yes I saw on a thread that Wayne was writing a Boxster book. At this point in time I don't expect to be doing anything more on a Boxster than this leak. If it involved a teardown and we chose to do it I would DEFINITELY get Waynes book. I did my first 911 teardown using Waynes book and could not have done without it. Still use it frequently.
but Chris (TK) I think has given me enough information to work with on this one.
Regards
Alan
Old 02-10-2018, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I resealed the sump on my 99 Boxster during the last oil change. Straight forward job. Make sure you remove or loosen the belly pan as it will interfere with pulling the pan down. Loctite SI 5900 sealant, and 7 ft/lb on the screws. There is an article in the "how to's" for installation of a deep sump if you need another reference.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Thanks M Baldwin. I presume you are referring to the large service panel underneath just foward of the sump? Intend removing that to make sure leak is not elsewhere. Just waiting on bits - oil, filter, loctite/Hondabond.
Regards
Alan
Old 02-11-2018, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Indeed...referring to the service panel. It stops you from pulling straight down on the sump. If you planned on removing it anyway, then you're golden.
Mine wasn't leaking, it was just starting to seep. Figured it was a good time to do it since I had the oil out.
Stock filter replacement? Or LN upgrade?
Old 02-11-2018, 10:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
We service a few Boxsters and 996 Porsches in our shop. Junkyard engines are a little sketchy so maybe not the best option if your engine has not suffered a catastrophic failure. We recently rebuilt a '99 996 engine that had suffered such a failure. It was really enlightening to see what happens when one of the chain ramps gets eaten. For a simple oil leak yes you remove the pan, dry it very well then apply sealant. No gaskets.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L View Post
Whoo - look at that - more replies from 930 forum in an hr or so than 2 days on Boxster forum.
Thanks guys. T77911S - are you serious about the 'mate'. Does it have some negative connotations across the equator? I don't think my friend, drinking buddy,dude, hombre, amigo will be thrilled when I tell him the engine is a throw-away. He will be hoping we can fix his oil leak I am sure.
Ken911 - does that mean I need to join the Rennlist forum - to post the Q?
Chris - I bet that beast goes like a scalded cat. I am impressed with their handling - drove an S once over some twisty back roads - the guy/dude/hombre/amigo was silly enough to lend it to me. Just point and squirt the gas.
Regards
Alan
yes i think you have to join. it was free when i joined
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 02-12-2018, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

You might want to make sure the pan is flat and not warped while you have it off. Any of this cast aluminum stuff with no gaskets it's always a good idea to check.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 02-12-2018, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Hey Alan-

I'm glad you posted this here honestly as that was my exact experience w/ that forum here as well when inquiring on neighbor's car issues. And for me, Rennlist tends to be a rich-off... my tax bracket doesn't seem to come close to fitting in 8-/

While it's true about calling anyone mate anywhere but Aus or NZ, ya'd think everyone in the world knows that you folks use such term there and wouldn't bother to correct it here. Good luck w/ your mate's repair 8-)

Chris... *thud*... dayum, that's a nice build. Bet it's a f'n RIOT...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 02-12-2018, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: