Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Gas line leaking

I filled up the tank on my '87 930 Turbo last night, parked it and when I was driving home with the windows down I could smell gas. Looking in the trunk I noticed that the short hose that connects the fuel tank to the expansion tank was wet with gas. There was a little that had dripped down to the top of the fuel tank itself, but not much. I tightened the clamps a little and will try to move the hose further onto the nipple later when I get home, which might solve this.

Otherwise, what would cause this to leak? Just an old line? I'm assuming it would be easy enough to replace but where should I look to buy this cloth braided line? Do I just unclamp, remove, and put new line on? Reading around, it looks like I'd need a 14mm hose, but the OEM hose from Pelican is super expensive.

P.S., what does the expansion tank itself do?

Thanks all

Old 03-01-2018, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Replace the hose. Just unclamp as you stated and replace. How much is too expensive for your car?

Rahl
Old 03-01-2018, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

Those aren’t the clamps that came with it, so someone has been working in that area. It is possible that the nipple on the expansion tank is cracked.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Speedy - Yes, we had the gas tank replaced earlier so the clamps are new. I'll remove the hose and look for fitment and if there are any cracks, but there shouldn't be considering the tank is new.

356911930 - I think PP was asking $90 for that hose. Was wondering if any other generic 14mm cotton braided hose would do and where a good place to buy would be.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

No need for the cloth covered hose, unless you are concerned about OEM appearance; appropriately sized fuel hose works fine and can be found at most any auto parts store and even Ace hardware (just take old section in and size match it). Personally, I would never bend over and pay $90.00 for a BS part such as that.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Braided hose or not is a preference (I like it, personally), but using radiator clamps on fuel lines is a no-no. Go to NAPA and ask if they've got a selection of fuel hose clamps.

You want something that looks like these:
Old 03-01-2018, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
You can get cloth braided hose here.

https://www.belmetric.com/braided-metric-hose-oem-c-14_138/

And the correct clamps here.

https://www.belmetric.com/zinc-galvanized-screw-clamps-c-15_143_1062/
Old 03-01-2018, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the links and info on where to get the lines. Rawk, that's what I was thinking on that asking price.

Am I correct in assuming that this is probably just due to a worn/old line?
Old 03-01-2018, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Yes, and that is one of the negatives about cloth covered, rubber hose - you can't see the age related cracking that is developing in the hose (Deez has that problem with his "hose" ).
Old 03-01-2018, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Gotcha, I'm less concerned about OEM as much as a good, reliable solution. Looks like both rubber and cloth braided are equally functional.So, what exactly does that line and the expansion tank do?
Old 03-01-2018, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

That is the pressure/vapor and overfill exit nip on the fuel tank - the little plastic tank collects gasoline (in liquid and vapor form) and then allows it to drain back into the tank when tank pressure is low enough. Fuel that gets past that little tank then goes into a much larger tank that is in the front, left fender (that is the hose you see that goes from the little tank and through the inner fender. It's all part of the fuel vapor, and overfill, recovery system.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rawk, thanks for the explanation. Learn something new every day.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I just replaced a hose on mine - the other hose that runs up the back. About a week ago. Yes - it was seriously cracked/broken - at the bend. And you can't see it under the cloth.
I used that 'plastic' reinforced hose - has internal webbing in it. That line does not normally contain fuel it recycles vapour - a breather for the tank.
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 03-01-2018, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Old car guy.....

Garage
Free....Buy plenty of hose and enough clamps to replace all of these little hoses at one time, otherwise you will be chasing fuel odor forever. I also replaced the filler neck hoses when I did mine.
1981 SC Steel Widebody, 930/51 to 3.2l, K27 7006 Turbo, P&P Twin Plug heads, Twinfire Ignition, Ruf Intercooler, Powerhaus headers, Zork, CIS Euro FD, 009 injectors, 044 pump, BLwur, 930 4 sp LSD, Mocal 44 w/fan, LM2, Brembo, Retroair, Euromeisters
2003 BMW Z4 Daily Driver & Autocross car.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

When I replaced all those hoses in the car I used to have I used way better hose from a local hose supply place.
The stuff is I used is reinforced and flexible, had no cloth wrap, and is compatible with E85 so no worries with the E10 gas we get these days.

There are a couple local places that still sell gas with no ethanol for marine and aviation use. There is no road tax included in that stuff so you may have to pump it into portable containers to buy it.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: