Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fresh air vent question

I was trying to do a few smaller projects (replace hood struts, hood seals, etc) including replacing what looked like old, cracked seals behind the fresh air vent. When I pulled it off, there was just a bunch of dried up pieces of rubber and grime. I ordered the seal that I thought was correct (#24 on the PET) but it doesn't look like it is. It also looks, based on other threads, that this same part was sent out to others looking for #24 (#901 571 325 32). It's round and doesn't have the squared corners. Plus it looks thicker.

My question is, what needs to go between the air vent screen and the body itself? You have the frame on the outside, then the screen, then what? Based on the PET diagram, it looks like there's supposed to be some sort of seal, but for the life of me I can't find it online. I've heard others say that they just use gaffers tape, or some type of black tape to keep the screen metal from scratching the paint. Wouldn't water leak around the edges if so?

Not sure what to do here.

Last edited by freesaints; 03-03-2018 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: wrong spacing
Old 03-03-2018, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Accidentally posted the wrong PET.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The grey seal you have is #24, but it goes on the fan box #3 and seals the box to the back side of the cowl. If you feel around edges of the three vent holes you'll get the idea.

The screen just has a little black cloth tape wrapped around it, front and back, that gets sandwiched between the cowl and grill.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

What was interesting was that when I pulled off the grill, there was definitely a gray seal (dry rotted) there. Maybe an aftermarket thing? Not sure. Anyhow, I decided to rig up my own seal using marine weatherstripping. It's worked great. After cleaning and touching up the black on the grill, I think it looks/works great.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Old 03-07-2018, 05:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: