Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Beast Caretaker

The Beast: Update from New England

So as some of you may know we're the new owners of the beast after having shipped it out from Seattle area. As the start of the 2018 track season approaches I though some of you may be interested in a little update on it.

Overall it was a smooth transaction to purchase and get it out here. We were delayed a few months with the registration due to the VIN numbers on the WA state title having a typo and our state having very strict requirements. Nothing that half a dozen trips to the DMV, some affidavits, and state police inspections couldn't sort out though.

After arrival, we were able to get it started twice, but with some trouble. It cranked fine, but we went through two fully batteries on about 6-8 failed attempts to get it lit. With limited Porsche wrenching experience we felt it was best to send it over to Jerry at EPE to get it sorted out before track season. I can't say enough positive things about Jerry and his crew. Complete professionals and definitely took care of us.

All sorted, including the parts we threw into it/replaced I think we are north of 10K to get it sorted and safe. Here's a quick list of the fixes/changes:
  • All fluids (Brakes/engine/gears), filters, and fuel filter replaced
  • Fixed hard start: repaired the fuel system wiring, mixture, new plugs, vacuum leaks.
  • Replaced defective intercooler hose/clamps. It wasn't sealed or clamped correctly and had a big leak.
  • Leak down test: All holes in great shape.
  • Full nut/bolt of the car, checked all suspension components, ignition, caps, rotors, etc.
  • Wrong alternator was on the car, causing the fan housing to be set back, fan belt rubbing. Replaced with correct alternator.
  • Repaired the boost timer wiring. It wasn't working the way it was wired/a bit of a rats nest.
  • Brake pedal had been lowered for heal/toe. Raised back up for safety and instead adjusted gas pedal.
  • Replaced missing front sub frame panel protecting fuel pump/steering rack.
  • Replaced the Mobil 1 oil jug as a engine breather with correct racing system breather.
  • Repaired oil leak at the turbo.
  • Re-balanced & corner weighted/height.
  • Replaced missing front brake duct pickup.
  • Replaced broken hood struts, missing wiper arms/blades.
  • Replaced 19yr old fraying belts with new Schroth 5 points cam release belts
  • Replaced "Rear view mirror" (piece of mirror held on by two hose clamps) with longarce mirror and added steering wheel hook.
  • Added two layer roll bar padding around driver/pass bars.
  • Fresh set of rubber (NT01's)
  • Added carbon Tim McAmis door bar guards.
  • Fixed sun roof so it fully closes.

We still have a few small to-do items left, but we are almost there. I'm hoping we remember to strap a few of the go-pro's to the car this year and get some track videos that I can post up. Now, on with a few pics:

As she sits:

Horn is required for our state inspection, it didn't say anything about having to be original or electric. Yes, this passed.

On route to EPE to get sorted.

Before:

After:

What boost pressure:

More items:

Belt upgrade:

Head safety:

Fresh rubber for the season:
Old 03-11-2018, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Beast Caretaker

And what it will be back doing again soon:
Old 03-11-2018, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rduke View Post
And what it will be back doing again soon:
Congrats on getting everything done.Horn is hillarios.Car is badassss

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2018, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Duke...welcome to this forum! That horn being legal is funny. Thanks for the updates.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Looks great! Like the Cobra too. Living the dream
Old 03-11-2018, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Humm...I thought that Craig had the car better sorted out than that? Could have sworn his ad said that it was well sorted and everything fresh?

Then again, it was predominately a track car for him, and after being on a race team for many years myself, I know that sometimes clean-n-tidy doesn't get you on the track in time so.......

Glad to hear you got her the way you want it...now go out and flog that beast!

Mark
Old 03-12-2018, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Great stuff Ryan! Love the horn.
Spring is almost here!!
Old 03-12-2018, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Love that horn; hate that Mickey Mouse wiring.

Glad you got the car sorted. Have fun and be fast.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Congrats!
Surprised all the stuff the car needed, as Craig seemed to be ontop of things, either way glad the car now has a great new owner.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
......hate that Mickey Mouse wiring.
Porsche wiring in general.....
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 03-13-2018, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

What tires are those?
1969 911 T (Gone)
Old 03-15-2018, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDPorsche View Post
What tires are those?
Looks like Nitto NT01
Old 03-15-2018, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I have same tyres on front of mine - seem to work OK at track. says not to use in wet. And I haven't so can't say about that bit.
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 03-15-2018, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Nice to see the car back. Don't be too disappointed if it is not shooting flames like in the pic. That was due to a tuning issue.
Regards
Alan
83 SC, 82 930 (track) - Stock except for RarlyL8 race headers, RarlyL8 Zork, K27-7006, 22/28 T bars, 007 Fuel head, short 3&4 gears, NGK AFR, Greddy EBC (on the slippery slope), Wevo engine mounts, ERP rear camber adjust and mono balls, Tarret front monoball camber adjust, Elgin cams, 38mm ported heads, 964 IC. 380rwhp @ 0.8bar Apart from above, bone stock:-)
Old 03-16-2018, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Excellent, nicely done.

And now formally - welcome here, with the car!

Where in NE are you? NE CT here. We'll be getting some sort of owner's outing together for some point this driving season, stay tooned. Looks like a M@$$hole front tag mebbe?

That horn story is TOO MUCH - hahahahahaa, LOVE IT. Classic. Can't make that shart up!

While I'm also somewhat surprised about those kluge hacks in Craig's car, I'm also somewhat not. Hoseclamp'd mirror? ROFLMAO. Great you've got it all sorted now. Tho, crykie... $10bills for that work? GOOD LAWD! 8-)

Looking forward to your usage in anger, and to hopefully meeting you at some point...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |

Last edited by krasuskyp; 03-19-2018 at 08:57 AM..
Old 03-16-2018, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Paul,

I know Ryan from another forum and we have hung out before too. Great guy. Yes, from MA.

We have already decided our 930's need to meet, so this is gonna happen. CT is right in the middle, so maybe we figure out a good place closer to you...
Old 03-16-2018, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Congrats and welcome.
The horn is hilarious -- take that, state inspections!
Glad to see the car getting prepped for a new season. Wouldn't say it was unloved prior, but familiarity can sometimes cause an owner to overlook something that's obvious to another, time goes by you end up with a small laundry list of things to do.
Best of luck this season!
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 03-16-2018, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
Wouldn't say it was unloved prior, but familiarity can sometimes cause an owner to overlook something that's obvious to another
Such true words
Old 03-17-2018, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Jeff... exxxxxxxxxxxxcelllllllllllllent. Sounds like a plan! I'm def a great centralized location and know tons of great driving routes in obscure areas for us to violate 8-)

Have a bunch of local SC, Boxster, etc. loons that'd join us for ensuing debauchery. Just Not Right. Looking forward to planning something, maybe late June?

And well said, Chris... that sums my POS up to a T! Lol / d'oh? 8-) People are always like 'your car is so nice' and I'm all quick to point out 'yeah, but this, yeah but that' (and that and that and this and that and that... d'oh, again!)...

| '01 ///M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 //S8 | '95 //S6 6gang | '88 ///M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 03-19-2018, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
one of the great unwashed

Nice to hear that car going back to the track. Hope to see it at the Glen.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: