Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
JB, buy that -52!!

That 3.15 1st gear is far more useable than the -00/01/02 3.50 1st gear.
I don't really have a problem with my trans, 1st gear is not my problem I would like a closer gear ratio with a 5th overdrive...

83 sc cab turbo widebody. 3.5 liter supertec motor, B&B headers, EFI electromotive TecGT, TurboKraft GT35R billet turbo, 964 cams, WM inj, Bell full bay intercooler, Short bell housing turbo 4 speed tranny, roll bar, hargett shifter,
Old 03-15-2018, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown View Post
I have a 3.5 l turbo EFI with a short bell housing 4speed turbo tranny in my car right now. Was thinking about swapping over to a 5 speed tranny, I know most of them work with hydraulic clutch. What tranny and what is the going rate to do the conversion.
If I do this I do have a nice short bellhousing 4 speed turbo tranny I would sell.
Thanks John
"Not that I am trying to sell mine but point me in the direction to get a short bellhousing for that price .... I have not seen one for that price for like 10 yrs..." Jbrown

Which transmission is for sell and which transmission is not fro sale if you do this?

Here is a short bell housing 930 box with a asking price of $7k

1977 turbo trans

Here is one offered for 6k
LF: short bell housing 930 4 speed trans or 78-88 long bell
Old 03-15-2018, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Not that I am trying to sell mine but point me in the direction to get a short bellhousing for that price .... I have not seen one for that price for like 10 yrs...
Last ten years? Ten years ago they were $3500-4000.

Ficke found some pretty easily. Dark Star has one sitting at Bill Rader's that he would get shortened for you and sell for around $6k. They are out there if one is genuinely shopping.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 03-15-2018, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

bummer.. I thought they were worth alittle more... oh well , will stay a 4 speed for now..
Thanks John
83 sc cab turbo widebody. 3.5 liter supertec motor, B&B headers, EFI electromotive TecGT, TurboKraft GT35R billet turbo, 964 cams, WM inj, Bell full bay intercooler, Short bell housing turbo 4 speed tranny, roll bar, hargett shifter,
Old 03-16-2018, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
bummer.. I thought they were worth alittle more... oh well , will stay a 4 speed for now..
Thanks John
Why the desire to have a 5 speed? Seems that with a built 3.5l you'd have plenty of power band to make the 4 speed ratios work well. What was your main goal(s)?
Old 03-16-2018, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
gearhead

^ I tend to agree. That's enough power that it should be plenty fun with just 4 gears.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 03-16-2018, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

I have more than enough power for the 4 speed. My friend has a 17 Z06 and we did a 30-140 roll and I was inching him.. I though with a close ratio 5 speed it would give me a little more acceleration with the right gearing, I would also like to be a little lower RPM at 80mph. Right now I am at 2800rpms on the highway. Would like to get it down a bit.
I dont like to many gears though, my son has new mustang GT with 6 speed and I feel I have to shift too much...
Old 03-16-2018, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
gearhead

Post a dyno sheet and your rear tire size and I would be happy to assess ow optimized it is.

I try to avoid pushing my business here and prefer to just be another enthusiast, but I will be posting some “LeMans” ratio 4/5 gears in the classifieds shortly.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 03-16-2018, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

A 5-speed is superior to a 6-speed, IMO, but you may achieve the acceleration you want with just a simple change to gear sets -- a close-ratio 1st/2nd/3rd or just 2nd/3rd.

We have a build 3.45L EFI Turbo in the shop right now, and she's fitted with a shorter 8:37 R&P giving her _violent_ acceleration, but 1st is a little too short for this much torque. If you had similarly lower ratios for your 2nd & 3rd, I think you'd enjoy it.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 03-16-2018, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Chris,do you think I should replace 2nd,3rd on my 78?or go with a g50-52?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2018, 11:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbodman930 View Post
Chris,do you think I should replace 2nd,3rd on my 78?or go with a g50-52?
Easiest and least expensive: change 2nd & 3rd to ratios that suit how you drive. Sure, it's a full disassembly of the transmission, and you'll likely find some worn parts that are prudent to replace at that time, but it's the least expensive and shortest path to quickening the gearing.

More expensive and complicated: shortened 3.2L Carrera G50 5-speed
We aren't fans of doing a G50/50 swap because of the super-tall Autobahn gearing. The Carrera gears are just about optimal for street / canyon carving / highway blasts / occasional DE -- in other words, how most of these cars are driven.
If you need a taller 5th, install a Turbo 5th gear.
As a plus, you the superior G50 (BorgWarner) synchronizers for better shifting, and hydraulic clutch actuation as well.
So you have to source a complete 1987-89 Carrera setup: transmission, pedal box, shifter assembly with shift rod.
Then fully disassemble the transmission to shorten it -- and inevitably find parts that need replacing.
And install a LSD, as most were open diffs, and those that weren't are usually worn out by now.
And weld transmission mounts into and 1978-86 911/930 chassis.
And usually modify the transmission mount.
And modify the shift rod and/or coupler.
And install all new hydraulics, because a person would be crazy to install 30-year-old components.

The result is awesome, but with the parts becoming increasingly scarce, it's also becoming more expensive.

I'd evaluate the car after it's finished, get some miles on it in order to best determine the gearing that suits you. After all, a gearbox is functionally just a torque multiplier, and when you have a lot of torque, you have less need for shorter gear ratios. You may find you enjoy the standard gearing.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
I just did what Chris has suggested. My mechanic has installed shorter 2nd & 3rd gear sets. I have not been able to drive it yet, but apparently its awesome. Sounds simple but gears are ~~$1000 each! Still it was a great time to rebuild and blueprint it.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbster09 View Post
I just did what Chris has suggested. My mechanic has installed shorter 2nd & 3rd gear sets. I have not been able to drive it yet, but apparently its awesome. Sounds simple but gears are ~~$1000 each! Still it was a great time to rebuild and blueprint it.
$2k is still considerably less cost than a R&P, and gears are half the labor to install as well.
And you end up with 4 useable gears, vs. a shorter R&P where 1st can end up un-useable it is so short.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: