Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Best ignition system for CIS car

Later this summer or int he fall, I'd like to replace my old Electromotive TEC1 twin plug ignition system with something more modern with possibility of EFI down the road. But not anytime soon as I don't want to upgraded my 915 tranny yet, I want to completely kill it once and rebuilt it once.

I kinda like my car as CIS, so not in a rush to go EFI, to me there is something cool about using the old tech and keeping it running. Still got some tweeking to do tho.

Can anyone recommend the best the more cost effective system, whether Megasquirt & use my existing TEC style ingition coils, to go to cost effective COP set up? Or is Franken CIS a better option if not going to EFI?

1975 Carrera / 965 tribute w/ 1989 3.3 turbo 8.5:1, custom Evergreen K27 7200, 964 cams, euro CIS, TEC1 dual plug, rarlyL8 headers & hooligan pipe. 915/68 trans, kevlar clutch and lightweight pressure plate.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I have FrankenCIS managing my fuel now only via Lambda valve. I plan on adding a crank pickup and using that to fire COPs as well.

Its a simple choice for me as its already in the car.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You could do a FrankenCIS and add control to the CIS.

But if going EFI, please do yourself the favor and integrate all the systems -- injection, ignition, and boost control; no TEC1/replacement with a separate injection system and separate boost controller. When the systems aren't integrated, you have no safeties, ex: you cannot pull timing and boost if you encounter a lean condition. No bueno.

AEM or MS3/Pro + Denso COPs + boost solenoid valve.

You can keep it all limited to ~400hp to preserve your 915 trans.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 04-24-2018, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post

You can keep it all limited to ~400hp to preserve your 915 trans.
Or do boost per gear so you can go over 400 hp once at 2nd or 3rd and so on...
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 04-24-2018, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
So I could do Microsquirt with Denso COPS's and change to a Megasquirt down the road when going to EFI?

What is the boost solenoid valve, is that the Brian Leask boost switch?

Tippy - Boost per gear, now that sounds interesting, you mean I can control my boost in 1st gear so I can actually use that gear?
1975 Carrera / 965 tribute w/ 1989 3.3 turbo 8.5:1, custom Evergreen K27 7200, 964 cams, euro CIS, TEC1 dual plug, rarlyL8 headers & hooligan pipe. 915/68 trans, kevlar clutch and lightweight pressure plate.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy View Post
So I could do Microsquirt with Denso COPS's and change to a Megasquirt down the road when going to EFI?

Tippy - Boost per gear, now that sounds interesting, you mean I can control my boost in 1st gear so I can actually use that gear?
The boost solenoid valve is what allows the ecu to control boost. An ECU would allow much better control of everything. If you're worried about transmission longevity, there are a few different ways you can tune it to reduce the stress on the gearbox. EFI is really the way to go unless you care deeply about originality.
Ducati 748R
Old 04-24-2018, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Megajolt is like an ignition only Megasquirt. Most of the work to get it going would transfer over to EFI if you go that route later.

https://www.autosportlabs.com/product/megajolte-mk2_crank_fired_ignition/
Old 04-24-2018, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy View Post

Sure

You can get the boost control solenoid from DIYAutotune for about $70 that works easily with MS. I believe they give you the values to plug in too, to the tuning software. I have one lying I never used that I plan on using once I get a bigger MAP sensor to handle the additional boost.

Exactly. Ex.: 1st gear = 0.5 bar, 2nd gear = 0.7 bar, 3rd through 5th = 1+ bar.
See comments in red

Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 04-24-2018, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: