Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoke View Post
I also need to replace the original seal around the oil cooler. The only one I've seen is this one on Pelican. It says "late style" which means there could be an "early style". Is this the seal for my '86 930? Also seems kinda spendy. Any other options?

Mine is an 86 as well, and I used the seal from pelican, or maybe I ordered from Stoddard, can't remember. I don't think I paid that much for it, but maybe i did, been a few months....
Old 05-06-2018, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
I did not remove the bumper. Pulling the tire gives you plenty of room.

The horn bracket was a pain. I couldn’t get the factory one to work. I ended up making my own.

I didn’t pay for that seal. Lowe’s has 3/4” pipe insulation with adhesive that works just fine. It’s not the foam but a “Premium” rubber type that looks like the factory seal.

Do you have the mounting bolts or to you need to drill for the brackets? I have the measurements somewhere if you need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2018, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
How real-world effective is the fan? I recall hearing not too much. It must be helpful in traffic, no?
Old 05-06-2018, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrken View Post
How real-world effective is the fan? I recall hearing not too much. It must be helpful in traffic, no?
It buys time in traffic, thats all. Mine will come on, bring oil temp down, cut off. It will do that several times until it can no longer keep up with the heat, then you either have to get going or pull over and wait.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timc View Post
It buys time in traffic, thats all. Mine will come on, bring oil temp down, cut off. It will do that several times until it can no longer keep up with the heat, then you either have to get going or pull over and wait.
Sounds like it helps a bit but not enough to keep the engine from getting overly hot.

Right now without a fan and sitting in traffic not moving fast the temperature gauge will reach 9 o'clock and maybe a bit higher. Once moving the gauge will drop to less than 9 o'clock. Hopefully the fan will knock off the > 9 o'clock temps.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
I did not remove the bumper. Pulling the tire gives you plenty of room.

The horn bracket was a pain. I couldn’t get the factory one to work. I ended up making my own.

I didn’t pay for that seal. Lowe’s has 3/4” pipe insulation with adhesive that works just fine. It’s not the foam but a “Premium” rubber type that looks like the factory seal.

Do you have the mounting bolts or to you need to drill for the brackets? I have the measurements somewhere if you need them.
So you pulled the cooler out into the wheel well to attach the fan? Any issues with stressing the flexible lines to the cooler?

I bought the mounting kit so not sure what I need now.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
So you pulled the cooler out into the wheel well to attach the fan? Any issues with stressing the flexible lines to the cooler?

I bought the mounting kit so not sure what I need now.
disconnect the lines and drop the cooler. install the fan, wiring, new seal, then reinstall. then play with the thermostat to get it where you want the fan coming on and off.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
My car had the Trombone Cooler. I had to install the brackets and everything.
I don't know if you can install the fan with it assembled.
I would plan on new hoses if you need to disassemble. You will probably need to heat the fittings with a propane torch to get them off. This will ruin the rubber hose.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

You can install assembled, well, at least I did. I did not have to heat hoses, and reused with zero leaks, I used TWO wrenches, one to hold fitting and one to turn nut on hose. They were not that difficult to get off. I'd definitely try first without heat....Don't even try without two wrenches.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
You can install assembled, well, at least I did. I did not have to heat hoses, and reused with zero leaks, I used TWO wrenches, one to hold fitting and one to turn nut on hose. They were not that difficult to get off. I'd definitely try first without heat....Don't even try without two wrenches.
Did you disconnect right at the cooler or the connection away from the cooler?

How about access to the 3 rubber mounts? 2 are on the bottom and one at the top.

I would assume disassembly in this order:

1) disconnect hoses
2) remove plastic rock guard
3) Loosen/remove rubber mounts
4) remove cooler
Old 05-07-2018, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
^^^ Lucky!!! My car is welded together with electrolysis.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Did you disconnect right at the cooler or the connection away from the cooler?

How about access to the 3 rubber mounts? 2 are on the bottom and one at the top.

I would assume disassembly in this order:

1) disconnect hoses
2) remove plastic rock guard
3) Loosen/remove rubber mounts
4) remove cooler
I disconnected hoses at cooler. I did not remove the metal rock guard but I guess you can...you may also have to loosen some of the cooler line clamps going to rear to give you some flexibility, keep that in mind....I did one time, and did not need to the other....

Three mounts are easy to get to.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah I've had my cooler out several times, so that prob made it easier, and I used copper grease on the fittings....
Old 05-07-2018, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Mine were so bad that I had to cut slits in the nuts (not THOSE nutz! ) with a cutoff wheel when I replaced the flex sections for preventative maintenance (the originals were so crusty, like you, that they looked like they could pop at any minute - again like you ).
Old 05-07-2018, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

I haven't installed the oil fan kit yet. I did do some investigation trying to disconnect the flexible line from the cooler: no go. I did get the flexible line to hard line to the back of the car loosened.

I'm planning to do the install soon.

While thinking of cooling the engine, I was wondering if removing the AC condenser would improve (increase) the airflow into the engine cooling fan. Any thoughts or experience? Also if the AC condenser is removed, would this reduce the airflow across the intercooler?

If adding a fan to the oil cooler helps remove some heat, would adding fans on the rear hood increase the airflow through the engine fan? What if two 12inch fans were mounted on the rear hood? Would this help get more airflow for engine cooling or a waste of time?

TIA

Old 06-02-2018, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrken View Post
For me, in Atlanta, with summer temps frequently in the mid-high 90's and even higher sitting in traffic on blacktop, without the fan I would rapidly get into the red zone. With a fan its never gotten above the white line just below the red.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

I put a fan on mine recently. My engine runs fairly cool normally when driving, and I try my best to avoid roads with traffic, but sometimes it's unavoidable, like an accident or construction on an interstate in the middle of nowhere.

So I put the fan in for those unavoidable delays. Instead of a thermostat, etc, I wired it into the parking light circuit with a relay carrying power via an inline fuse directly from the battery. So, to turn the fan on I just turn on the parking lights.
73 TR6
Old 06-03-2018, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Scottsdale Arizona USA

Garage
The 86- cars had the horn relocation brackets required when you install the fans. One for the fender and one for the horns. If you are handy with the aluminum you can fabricate these but Porsche had the nice original engineering there. Then the fan if you choose the Spal (Pusher) unit has a thinner profile and is much higher quality, worth it to pay ~$50 more.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Made some progress tonight. Removed the oil cooler disconnecting at the hardline to the hose connection. I couldn't get the oil cooler connection off while still in the car. I'll try to get the hoses off the cooler while out of the car.

I guess I keep the horn bracket but cut off the horn mount? I think I'm going to dump the OEM horn for a smaller horn. The OEM horn is right in the way of the the airflow towards the cooler.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

I removed the black bracket and just attached the small gold bracket to the bottom of the headlight bucket then the horns to the gold bracket.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: