Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

new clutch

Finally got my car back. All new suspension and new clutch. Thank you Turbokraft!!!!
I LOVE IT. I purchased a new clutch from turbokraft for my short bell housing turbo tranny and it fells like I am pushing a clutch on a Honda. Hated the KEP clutch nothing but problems. Cant wait to take her on a little drive this weekend.
83 sc cab turbo widebody. 3.5 liter supertec motor, B&B headers, EFI electromotive TecGT, TurboKraft GT35R billet turbo, 964 cams, WM inj, Bell full bay intercooler, Short bell housing turbo 4 speed tranny, roll bar, hargett shifter,
Old 04-27-2018, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
What clutch did you end up going with.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Yeah, the KEP isnít for everyone. Definitely a hardcore brute force PP.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Glad you like it!

It's the 934 pressure plate.
According to an engineer at Sachs, it's still the strongest single-disc pressure plate they manufacture.
And yet, pedal effort is like a stock clutch with perfect modulation. No problem in stop-and-go traffic.

Good for over 600ft.lb. at the wheels with a full-face organic spring hub disc.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 05-06-2018, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
Yeah, the KEP isnít for everyone. Definitely a hardcore brute force PP.
I must have been the exception, with my (past) KEP stage 1. Lucky me I guess, no issues.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
I must have been the exception, with my (past) KEP stage 1. Lucky me I guess, no issues.
I'm quite happy with mine also...
87 930 GHL/Rarlyl8/Garretson/GT3582R/1 Bar/Wevo shift, mounts/Meth inj/LM-2/Custom Fuchs/Carrera intake manifold/Xtreme Carrera heads P&P/3.4/DR 993SS cams/ Mahl/Pauter/JE/Niresist/ARP/twin COP/8.25:1/KEP stage 2/twin tials/close 2,3,4th. MS3Pro Evo 500+ HP, BTSOMP Dyno
Old 05-06-2018, 04:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Iíve ran 2 stage 2ís; they can be pretty stiff.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian911T View Post
What clutch did you end up going with.
Sorry didnít get back to you. I see Chris already answered.
I am sure other people have had good luck with the KEP. Unfortunately for me it did not work out. Anything under 40 deg I could not get the car in first gear. At times it would grind going into gear.
When I originally had it installed within a week I had a problem, so I had to have it taken out and install a second one. Had to pay my mechanic again for install. I usually like most of you like to put the best in my car so this time I went with turbokrafts advice.
John
83 sc cab turbo widebody. 3.5 liter supertec motor, B&B headers, EFI electromotive TecGT, TurboKraft GT35R billet turbo, 964 cams, WM inj, Bell full bay intercooler, Short bell housing turbo 4 speed tranny, roll bar, hargett shifter,
Old 05-07-2018, 02:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Maybe John's issue with KEP is related to the short bell housing 930 transmission. I installed a KEP stage 1 in my '77 turbo with a stock 930 organic disk. I could not adjust the clutch arm with 1mm clearance. I had to install a longer adjustment bolt to reach the operating lever. It was like the clutch disk was too thick. When first installed, it would grind going into reverse when the transmission (oil) was hot. When cold it was OK. After putting some miles on it the grinding going into reverse has stopped (after linkage readjustment for wear take up). But I still have to push the clutch pedal all the way down to disengage it.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

You usually have to remove the floorboard to get enough release with KEP.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

And maybe that's the issue with KEP plates -- they're inconsistent.
Sometimes they don't fit properly in the outer register ring of the flywheel, and aluminum is shaved off as you tighten it down.
Sometimes the clamping torque is way off, and a package rated for 600tq slips at 470wtq -- about 10% lower than spec.
We installed a Stage-1 in a 1986 930 and it was reasonable, but a Stage-1 in a G50-equipped car took at least 50% more effort than in the cable-pull 4-speed car.

In short, the price is attractive with the KEP clutch, but there can be negatives.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

is the 934 clutch the same as that one listed here as an old ruf clutch by sachs?
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 05-07-2018, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
is the 934 clutch the same as that one listed here as an old ruf clutch by sachs?
No, that one takes a standard 930 disc. The "Ruf" plate will only hold ~525wtq, while the 934 clutch will hold 600+
Old 05-07-2018, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: