Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocarrier View Post
Nice Work!

If I may ask, what diameter throttle body are you running?
Before the refresh it was a 90mm. Dropped down to a 76mm - going drive by wire this time around

Old 05-02-2018, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Good move, should gain in driveability part-throttle.
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 05-02-2018, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashgordon64 View Post
Started as refresh, ended up with redo : Xtreme heads, Haltech elite 2500 DBW conversion, ceramic coating everything

This is a purposeful and serious looking build. I especially like the angle of the wastegate piping from the secondaries - it shows a lot of thought and craftsmanship. If you don't mind, I have a few questions.

* Headers are unequal length but look larger diameter. Does it matter in the twin turbo setting? When is the boost all in? How does your motor behave off hoost?

* I may very well be wrong, but I think I see four wastegates. The lower ones that come off the secondaries and dump into the smaller dump pipes look conventional. What do the ones that go into the IC above the engine tin do?

* I know you have a very large IC but would there be any benefit to moving the air intakes/filters to a cooler spot and ducting them to the turbos to try to minimize heat soak? Maybe it doesn't matter, the packaging in the bumper is very space efficient but I imagine it gets quite hot down there.

I'm definitely not criticizing, your build is off the charts - thanks!
Old 05-03-2018, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonger View Post
This is a purposeful and serious looking build. I especially like the angle of the wastegate piping from the secondaries - it shows a lot of thought and craftsmanship. If you don't mind, I have a few questions.

* Headers are unequal length but look larger diameter. Does it matter in the twin turbo setting? When is the boost all in? How does your motor behave off hoost?

* I may very well be wrong, but I think I see four wastegates. The lower ones that come off the secondaries and dump into the smaller dump pipes look conventional. What do the ones that go into the IC above the engine tin do?

* I know you have a very large IC but would there be any benefit to moving the air intakes/filters to a cooler spot and ducting them to the turbos to try to minimize heat soak? Maybe it doesn't matter, the packaging in the bumper is very space efficient but I imagine it gets quite hot down there.

I'm definitely not criticizing, your build is off the charts - thanks!
Hey Tonger, I'll try my best

1. Headers are 1-5/8". I don't find that the unequal length effects boost at all. These are small turbos so it doesn't take much to get them lit. They are GT28 housings with 58/57 billet wheels(ceramic ball bearing). So in affect they equal to GT30's. The best thing is they're all in @32-3500rpms As far as off boost, it's fine. A lot of guys complain about how doggy high hp builds are off boost. I don't find that to be the case. It's all in the tuning.

2. There are 2 wastegates(either side of the turbos). What you're seeing above the tins are the blow-off valves. In the older pics I only had one and it was located behind the IC. I've kinda added a couple things and moved things here and there this time around.

3. There's just not enough room in the engine bay for air filters so I had to come up with this solution. On a side note they were surprisingly clean when I removed the bumper so....and never had any indication of heat soak.

Take a look my engine builder doing some light revs from a few years ago :

https://youtu.be/KKc1mvsUKCk

Mitch
Old 05-03-2018, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Mitch,

Thanks for your answers, that's a really purposeful build and the video is ridiculous. I'm looking forward to seeing more when you get it buttoned up!
Old 05-04-2018, 03:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

As stated earlier, I could stare at these engine pics for hours! Amazing.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post
As stated earlier, I could stare at these engine pics for hours! Amazing.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
It's a drug ... I need to come by and say hello
SOLD, 911GT ,CIS, 428 fwhp 450 trq, Carrillo rods, 964 cams, TT retainers,7.5 comp 1.1 bar boost 320 ml black fuel head 009 injectors, 044 pumps, 60-1 T4/T3 dual scroll turbo
Old 05-09-2018, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliolps2 View Post
It's a drug ... I need to come by and say hello
Oh that it is. I'll tell you what, after this fix I'm going straight to rehab. I'm gonna get clean and I'm never looking back I'm around, so anytime
Old 05-09-2018, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Rehab won't help...all it does is introduce you to a bunch of other folks with the same affliction.

So you just sit around sharing ideas....and before you know it.... your back lighting up the boost pipe!

Mark
Old 05-10-2018, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Work in Progress

Garage
Absolutely beautiful work!
Old 05-10-2018, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Administrator

Wow, this is fantastic! Hopefully you can get some videos up of the car for us too!
Too many Miata's to count.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Rehab won't help...all it does is introduce you to a bunch of other folks with the same affliction.

So you just sit around sharing ideas....and before you know it.... your back lighting up the boost pipe!

Mark
Way to kick my dog Mark, Thanks lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric at Pelican Parts View Post
Wow, this is fantastic! Hopefully you can get some videos up of the car for us too!
We'll see Eric...trying to stay with that rehab thing. No thanks t you Mark

But seriously, thanks for the compliments guys. I'll see what I can come up with

Mitch
Old 05-10-2018, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
CPT KAOS

Garage
so, yeah...I just wet myself a little... NICE!
Erik- RGruppe #743
Sports Purpose Garage
CPTKAOS 313HP/265TQ(wheels)2280#
Old 05-10-2018, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric at Pelican Parts View Post
Hey eric, found a couple old ones with my tuner doing his tuner thing. This should you for a bit

Old 05-10-2018, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Way to kick my dog Mark, Thanks lol

We'll see Eric...trying to stay with that rehab thing. No thanks t you Mark

But seriously, thanks for the compliments guys. I'll see what I can come up with

Mitch
Rehab didn't work for me. If anything it made my quest for more power even stronger. Granted it was a different car, but I went the same route as you. Big turbo with no low end power. Blew the motor twice in the span of a month, got frustrated, and decided on actually building the motor right. Still the same turbo, but with AEM ems, and swapping to electronic boost controller, my tuner did wonders in making the car more fun on the street. Full boost by 3400, with almost another 4000 rpm of freight train awesomness afterwards. I wish you good luck on your rehab, but relapsing with a vengeance is normal

Quote:
Hey eric, found a couple old ones with my tuner doing his tuner thing. This should you for a bit

https://youtu.be/TPJPNvW3CZ4

https://youtu.be/3RTJ4f1SfCg
Sounded good before, but I can't wait to hear how it sounds now!
Too many Miata's to count.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Very nice. Looks like you are running a separate drain pot for each turbo? Are the outlets t'd together into the stock turbo scavenge pump?
Old 05-11-2018, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted79 View Post
Very nice. Looks like you are running a separate drain pot for each turbo? Are the outlets t'd together into the stock turbo scavenge pump?
Yes they were utilizing a "Y" block fitting down line as pictured below. This time around I'm gonna go with hard line until I get close to the scavenger pump(I have the Clewett cam/sync scavenger pump). Just trying to clean up stuff as much as possible

Old 05-11-2018, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: