Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Phoenix clones side-by-side

Just came across this pict I took back when the house had been reconstructed after that fatal night (over a year later). Look how nice my new garage/shop looks!
Love all you guys that lent a hand. I still suffer from random PTSD over this. I'm sure you can understand. Life goes on, we move on - all is well and good! What a long strange trip it's been.......

Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

What a great pick, Mark, and despite the circumstances that got everything rolling (with PaulsBalls leadership, buttofcourse), it was a lot of fun watching and participating in the fundraiser that you didn't ask for and were reluctant to accept (not sure "fun" is an appropriate word, butt you know what I mean)!
Old 05-10-2018, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Mark,I don't think it will go away matter of fact I can still remember that smell just by thinking about it.Oct 20,1981 a round 2pm temp was hot as hell in Ca.and the Santana winds were blowing 40 mph gusts or better.A friend of mine said hey look someones house is on fire,turned out it was my family's.Everything wss gone by the time they put it out except for three walls in our garage.What stuck out the most was the smell.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2018, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

^^^

Oddly enough, Kev, I hear that people say the same about you - "Ohhhhh the smell; how it lingers, how it hangs"!
Old 05-11-2018, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

That's freekin funny

Old 05-11-2018, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbodman930 View Post
Mark,I don't think it will go away matter of fact I can still remember that smell just by thinking about it.Oct 20,1981 a round 2pm temp was hot as hell in Ca.and the Santana winds were blowing 40 mph gusts or better.A friend of mine said hey look someones house is on fire,turned out it was my family's.Everything wss gone by the time they put it out except for three walls in our garage.What stuck out the most was the smell.

Yeah brother, the smell can't be described....I'm with you. Just little things like a whiff of smoke in the air - as the blood pressure rises - brings back memories best forgotten. Your loss was a thousand times beyond mine.

I just thought I would share the pre and post picture, what a "proper" and "improper" 930 should look like. I may just have to have a large garage poster made of this pict to remind myself, keep the PTSD alive, ya know?

We all store memories throughout our lives, but unfortunately we don't have a "delete" button. This one, for me, changed how I look at humanity. The selfless giving and support just floored me and taught me a priceless lesson that I'll never forget.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Unfortunately I was a little late to the forum butt got a chance to read all the post related to what had happened.I was really amazed to see everybody that came together and helped.Really terrific.Even what's his butt Mr.Tutu from Texassss aka.Twinkle toes.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Phoenix clones side-by-side

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark houghton View Post
Just came across this pict I took back when the house had been reconstructed after that fatal night (over a year later). Look how nice my new garage/shop looks!

Love all you guys that lent a hand. I still suffer from random PTSD over this. I'm sure you can understand. Life goes on, we move on - all is well and good! What a long strange trip it's been.......

Wow that 930 is scorched!!

Ill take a fanning for this but....

Id almost bet in 20 maybe 30 years 930 values will justify a full restoration..

Last edited by 93097004xx; 05-13-2018 at 09:44 AM..
Old 05-13-2018, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

That one can't be restored. The heat from the fire removed the temper in the sheet metal so it has no strength now. It's nothing more than scrap metal with Mark's sentimental value left over.
Google steel sheet metal heat tempering if you don't believe me.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
That one can't be restored. The heat from the fire removed the temper in the sheet metal so it has no strength now. It's nothing more than scrap metal with Mark's sentimental value left over.
Google steel sheet metal heat tempering if you don't believe me.
Yep, absolutely FUBAR and was sold as scrap metal years ago. Saved the engine and transaxle. The transaxle is ok, but the engine's external parts were all toasted. Would make a good short block is about all.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

That picture took me back. Glad you're enjoying the new car.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hey there Mark,

Yeh, great shot for a poster to hang in the garage.

Still can't believe your intercooler and turbo survived that. Do you have the intercooler on the replacement yet?

Mark
Old 05-14-2018, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by full quack View Post
Hey there Mark,

Yeh, great shot for a poster to hang in the garage.

Still can't believe your intercooler and turbo survived that. Do you have the intercooler on the replacement yet?

Mark
Yes indeed, put the IC on last summer. I may slap on the 7006 turbo this summer if I get a wild hair. It seems ok, but I did have to partially disassemble it to drain out the water from the firemen and lube it up. Seems to spin freely now. Took some elbow grease to clean up the IC, though. It's amazing how much unwanted patina baked on....what with the fumes from burning oil, gas (a full tank), paint, upholstery, carpet, fiberglass, plastic, rubber - and all such things. Almost like a powder coating, it is that resilient. That **** does not come off easy, let me tell you.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Large Member

Garage
Hey Mark - great shot, thanks fer sharin.

I kinda tend to forget about this as time passes - thanks for the reminder of how entirely AWESOME our stoopid little community is here.

A truly remarkable group of gentz we're so fortunate to be surrounded by (enTIRELY different than the 'group of gentz' Rawknees loves surrounding hisself with, BUTTofcourse)...

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |
Old 05-15-2018, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: