Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

84 Euro

Quick history:
Car came to me not running after sitting three years after the last time it ran.
Jumped the pump relays to run
It would kick for a couple second run after removing the jumpers to the fuel pumps.
I blamed the electronic WUR or a stuck center pin in the fuel distributor
Fast forward, built the engine and got a WUR and center pin was good and smooth.
Now, down to the motor running.
Easily starts and runs but to just under 3000 then it breaks down on the spark.
Iíve copied Speedy squirrels explanation on the throttle body connections and the drawings of the lines off the TB to the distributor pod.
Very helpful.
But there is mentioned of thermal switches on the vacuum lines and I donít have the thermal switches. What I have is the vacuum lines coming off the TB directly to both sides of the distributor pod.
I was out in the heat checking routing lines for vacuum but some references are for USA spec turbos in the copied notes.
Love to see it pull and boost and get out of my hair. Any thoughts are appreciated.
930/66
054 distributor
2885 pod

Thank you
Bruce
Old 05-14-2018, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Rocket Scientist

Is this a Euro 930 engine? If so, it should have a single vacuum hose going to the distributor.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Some one else was chasing the problems, I’m not sure which owner.
New fuel pumps, new distributor, CD, coil, and more
Bruce
Old 05-14-2018, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat6pac View Post
Quick history:
Car came to me not running after sitting three years after the last time it ran.
Jumped the pump relays to run
It would kick for a couple second run after removing the jumpers to the fuel pumps.
I blamed the electronic WUR or a stuck center pin in the fuel distributor
Fast forward, built the engine and got a WUR and center pin was good and smooth.
Now, down to the motor running.
Easily starts and runs but to just under 3000 then it breaks down on the spark.
Iíve copied Speedy squirrels explanation on the throttle body connections and the drawings of the lines off the TB to the distributor pod.
Very helpful.
But there is mentioned of thermal switches on the vacuum lines and I donít have the thermal switches. What I have is the vacuum lines coming off the TB directly to both sides of the distributor pod.
I was out in the heat checking routing lines for vacuum but some references are for USA spec turbos in the copied notes.
Love to see it pull and boost and get out of my hair. Any thoughts are appreciated.
930/66
054 distributor
2885 pod

Thank you
Bruce
There are pierburg switches, thermovalves, thermal switches, all sorts of crap. the only one that is needed imho is the one that controls cold starting, and even that is not useful this time of year. The others are mostly (all?) for emissions.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Alright, fast forward 6 weeks,
I have the engine pulling like a freight train to 5000 rpm using the dual pod distributor and the distributor info posted here on vacuum pod info.
I borrowed an 05 distributor with one vacuum connection from a turbo friend. Installed, it works like the distributor I have already pulling to 5k
Now the problem.
At 5k I get a couple loud bangs in the exhaust and the RPMs won’t pull higher so I’m basically shut down at 5k
I have been getting to 1 bar on the pressure gauge at 5k so I’m thinking waste gate
Previously i owned a turbo and when the waste gate kicked in it sounded like a machine gun and not a bomb.
I disconnected the waste gate pressure hose at the intercooler and the RPMs started breaking done around 4K like it were at 5k.
Thoughts, I really need resolution
Thanks,
Bruce
Old 06-29-2018, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Does it hold steady state at 5k? iow will it hold 5k rpms and continue to "bang" or does the engine effectively shut down. Do you feel like you drove into molasses or a wall?
Old 06-29-2018, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
faulty overboost switch/sensor might be kicking in at that level of boost. Try a new switch/sensor
1977 930 (recently sold)
1976 911S , 1973 1/2 911T, 1972 911E (long gone)

Last edited by stevie 77 930; 06-29-2018 at 09:53 AM..
Old 06-29-2018, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Quote:
At 5k I get a couple loud bangs in the exhaust and the RPMs won’t pull higher so I’m basically shut down at 5k
I have been getting to 1 bar on the pressure gauge at 5k so I’m thinking waste gate

As others have stated, this is the description of hitting the overboost switch. The limit is set at 1.1bar with stock level being 0.7bar. Verify the waste gate hoses are connected properly with no leaks. Verify the waste gate is not stuck shut. Do NOT defeat the overboost switch, indications are it is working properly.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Well, good imputs, thanks everyone for the info. Now to get it applied
Bruce
Old 06-30-2018, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: