Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Sounds like a engine harness short since hearing about smoking wires .There is a quick check to preform to verify all your trouble is in the engine harness if you wish to try . I am at the end of engine install at the moment so I did my own quick check . Need some wire and alligator clips . Remove 14 pin connector in engine bay and pull plug on fuel head .Ground pin 7 , over boost circuit . Run wire from pin 8 to contact on fuel head , ground the other contact on fuel head . Turn ignition on pumps should not run , push plate should run .
Old 05-26-2018, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Greg, I will try this and let you know. Thank you for the great pics and detail, I really appreciate it.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Nice post Greg. Great information.
I couldn't imagine owning this car without the people on the forum that help you along the way.

Last edited by 1979-930; 05-27-2018 at 05:34 AM..
Old 05-27-2018, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Greg! Your explanation could not be any better. No comment left unexplained... even I can follow this.

Thanks for your contributions,

Rahl
Old 05-27-2018, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Greg, the latest. Did the test as you described. Pumps run with key on. Depress plate pumps stop. ?????
Old 05-27-2018, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

That's not what we wanted . Not sure on the next move . Just second guessing my self , maybe check your s/w on the fuel head is pin 8 & pin 7 is the over boost . Should be the same as the 81 but . You could also check with your meter for a short from the rear relay to the front relays . I am sure there is no short or the pumps would run even without the rear relay in place but . Remove both front & rear relays . Go from female # 30 at rear to female # 85 on each of the front ones . And be wary when or if you push on the fuel plate you do not want to dump raw fuel in the engine . If a thought comes my way , will pass it on . Peddle to the metal !
Old 05-27-2018, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Old 05-28-2018, 12:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Greg, Thank you for the schematic. More detailed than mine. I have a relay attached to the engine compartment fuse panel that does not show on my schematic or the one you shared. It has 4 connections: 85, 86, 87, 30. It is a Bosch bit with following numbers: 12-08-06-04-22 P1 and
also 0332019150. 12v 30 amp. Black box. I disconnected this bit to remove the fuse panel and may have rewired incorrectly. I have Brn wire on 86, Green wire on 85, Red wire on 30 and Blue wire on 87. My 1979 is a late model. Could this be the problem. Tried to upload a photo but no luck.

Last edited by Handyjay; 05-28-2018 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: Corrected
Old 05-28-2018, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Did your pump problem start after the wire melt down ? Also are the two factory front fuel pumps there ? The 4 prong relay sounds like after market add on . Do you know what it is for . This relay works the same as the 5 pin in this application . On this relay Brn should be ground & green power on the energizer side , Red wire power & Blue to electrical part on the switched side .
Old 05-28-2018, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

The second line should read- are the two factory fuel relays there and being used ?
Old 05-28-2018, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Greg, yes there are 2 red pump relays. This relay has been there since I have owned the 930 26 years.
I unplugged the relay and the pumps do not run. I had it wired as you state. Recently I did the individual fuse modification, running power from the battery to separate spade fuses for each pump. Shadetree posted this modification some time ago and it was working great. The problem started while I was trying to figure out why the rear wiper was not working, found broken pins on the switch. I had the ignition on for a while and hearing the buzzer because door was open and finally heard the pumps running with only the key in on position.
Thought that was odd. Key was on for a few minutes and I decided to take the rear wiper arm off as I messed with trying to find why the wiper was not working. Saw smoke coming behind the engine. Turned off key. Found pumps would run with key on. Found the contact wires fused from the contact switch. I do not understand how the wires would fuse as they are basically a grounding circuit. I will check out the relay in the morning and start to trace the Red , blue and green wires. Why would someone add this relay? The wiring looks factory. This Bosch relay apparently is used on several german cars for various applications. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Handyjay; 05-28-2018 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 05-28-2018, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Did you use your meter to check continuity between rear & front relays .For the 4 pin relay just check 85 green-power to where it is originating & blue 87 to what it is energizing . If this relay is not tied in with the fuel system ignore . When you say you unplugged the relay and the pumps stopped , which relay are you referring to ?
Old 05-28-2018, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Greg, I unplugged the Bosch 4 connector relay and pumps do not run with ignition on. I will trace the wiring hopefully today and check for continuity front to rear.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Greg, forget the last post. Brain dead here. You are correct! The Bosch relay is for the auxiliary A/C fan on the rear condenser. Reason the pumps did not run...battery very low. Will continue investigation when battery is recharged.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

if you want to understand how the FP circuit works read the sticky at the top and look for my post near the end,

yes I brain farted:
get a test light
connect it to 12v
probe the 2 pins on the AFM connector. one should light it, one will not.
if so, probe pin 85 of socket of OB RLY with AFM connector connected.
if it does not light the wire between socket and AFM connector is open. if it lights the RLY is not making contact with the pin in the socket.
the female pins will get too large and need to be closed up a little.

the wires that shorted are low current wires and just provide grounds. but the wires around them may have 12v on them. if one of those has too much current on it it will get hot and melt. it likely melted into the ground wire next to it.
I would be more concerned about that.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:

Last edited by T77911S; 05-30-2018 at 03:25 AM..
Old 05-29-2018, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

One more quick test . With every thing connected remove rear relay turn on ignition slowly push relay on and you should here it click . If no click you have an open circuit between relay & fuel head .Good luck .
Old 05-29-2018, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

I did the test light testing. 1 pin on the FMP connector lights the other does not. Test lights on with pin 85. Found the "new" pressure limit switch not going to ground. Grounded the lead from the pressure switch. Now pumps run with key on and with boost relay in and the FMP plugged or unplugged. Now what? I will run connection from FMP sw direct to boost relay and FMP sw ground to new ground which should make sure those 2 wires are out of the equation. As T77911S stated something got hot to cause the problem. Wonder now if I need to explore the wiring to the alternator. I had an issue with a cold start and low idle where the red charging indicator light would not go out until rpms were up to over 1000, but was normal after running a bit. Any connection to my problem? Thanks a million for all the input from members. Could not have a 39 year old Porsche without all the help.

Last edited by Handyjay; 05-30-2018 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: Corrected after more testing.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Unfortunately typing back and forth some times information is not clear or quick . I am guessing maybe brocken wires under rear relay area . But I don't like to guess . Picture of wire circuit -
Old 05-30-2018, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Greg, did you read my correction post that I found the pressure switch not going to ground?
Old 05-30-2018, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Yes just trying to clarify . Picture of circuit .
With ignition off. This is kind of a repeat maybe but check full circuit for open . Use meter , go from rear fuel pump #85 to ground , should be grounded . If you push on the fuel plate should open circuit .You can check short part of circuit from rear pump relay #85 to pin 8 with meter for open , should be a closed circuit .
You can also check circuit from pin 8 to ground , should be closed , grounded . If closed then if you push on fuel plate should open circuit . Hope I am clear .
Old 05-30-2018, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: