Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Greg, thanks I will go through it tomorrow. Will report back.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Greg, I lost my last post some how. Ok here is the latest.
Problems found so far:
1. Over pressure switch open. Should be closed. New in the last year.
2. Fused wire to the FMP switch.
3. No power to pin 86 on the Boost relay.
Corrected the pressure switch by grounding the connection.
Replaced all the fused wire to where it appears and measures good.
Temporary 12v to boost relay pin 86
All seems to work and be OK. Where is the 12v power on to pin 86 coming from? The 14 connector or somewhere else? What pin?
Could the lost 12v power and the fused FMP sw wire all be related?
Thanks to all for your assistance, hopefully on the way to recovery.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Not sure how you checked the over boost circuit but to check , ( ignition off ) use meter , probe 87a and ground . Should be closed . Pull white wire opens circuit .
I think the FMP switch fused because it is probably the weakest point when the short happened .
And yes when you turn the key on you should have power at 86 . You only need to turn key to first click for these tests .
Not sure if you did the test where you slowly push engine bay relay on ( with ignition on ) and listen for a click . If there is no click then there is no power at 86 .
But moving forward , the power comes from the ignition switch , goes to fuse box , then back to 86 . ( no fuss in circuit )
A couple of quick checks .
1-With everything hooked up normally , pull out headlight switch , turn on ignition , head lights should come on .

2-Turn on ignition , fresh air blower should work also the cigarette lighter should work if it worked before .
If all these operate normal next , remove fuse cover , turn ignition on , check for 12 v at fuse 4-5-6 , they should all have power .
Power comes to 5 and 5 is connected to 4 and 6 .
Last that I can think of at this time , with ignition off you can use your meter to check and make sure 4-5-6 are connected to each other .
Old 06-02-2018, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Greg, I tried the relay as suggested thatís how I found no power to the relay. Will check out the fount fuses and connections. Thanks
Old 06-02-2018, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Greg, not sure what white wire you are referring to. Have power to 4 5 &6. No power to 86 boost relay socket.
Which fuse connection for 86?

Last edited by Handyjay; 06-02-2018 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: Correction
Old 06-02-2018, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

I have an after market alarm system , not sure if it is wired in to this circuit . I don't think so . If so test might not work the same .
But do this check . turn ignition too second click . Now check fuse #1 , closest to windshield , top black wire for 12v . Let me know if you get 12v . Should be 12v .
Old 06-02-2018, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Greg, what is the route of the 12v power to 86? It must be open somewhere.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Did you get 12v on the top black wire on fuse #1 when you turn the ignition to the second click . Is the top wire black ?
Old 06-02-2018, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Ignore my last post.wrong black wire. Look for a small black wire , top side of fuse #4 on the 10 fuse holder . Looking for a small black wire about 18 gauge 3/32 drill size.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

I have a small black wire that is not connected now. When I was checking out the rear wiper issue I found this wire nearly broken off the factory end connector. I repaired the end and put it where I thought it was connected on the top of the fuse panel. I continued to trouble shoot the wiper with the key on and driver door open so buzzer was going and did not realize pumps were running. At some point saw smoke and turned off key and disconnected the black wire. This black wire is the connection to 86 pin on the boost relay. So the remaining question is "what caused the FMP switch wires melt and fuse together". The Pressure over boost switch had failed or failed, but that should just prevent the pumps from running.

Last edited by Handyjay; 06-03-2018 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: New information
Old 06-03-2018, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

OK the end. All operational now. Over boost switch failure, a disconnected power supply to boost relay, and melted ground and control wire from the FMP switch to boost relay. Found the disconnected power wire to pin 86 on the boost relay. Replaced the melted wire connecting the FMP switch to boost relay and grounded the over boost switch while I wait for a new one. A word of caution, be sure if you replace wires for the boost relay from the FMP be sure to get the correct wire going to pin 85 and the ground wire to ground. I had them backwards. Only question remains as to why the wires melted together in the first place. Many thanks to all the members for your help. Could not be driving a 39 year old Turbo without all your many years of help.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Yay!. I'm glad you figured this out.
Agree with the forum's help and owning this car. I don't know If I could own mine either.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: