Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Brando

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post

The Jag feels waaaaay faster, but is very linear without the rocket boost effect of turbo lag. I can hang the back end out on both quite nicely, they both handle very well although differently.
Very interesting as I had this battle just last night.
I thought I may be trashed by the jag as I've been in it and they are fast. But my little car caught up to it and slowly walked it. .5bar spring. The second time I didn't do as well cause I didn't want to abuse my clutch again.
Had an amazing drive after following my friends s2000 supercharged up a little unknown road to nowhere. My car (with r888r new) handled very well. A sharp tool indeed and I regained a respect for my car in every way last night.
But I need a new clutch so that I can run more boost. 1.2 bar will be the limit I believe for me as I just don't think I can handle more on a twisty road, I can't believe I just admitted that.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Turbofrog

Autospeed Australia did a article on acceleration some time ago (maybe last decade) and they tested it on real life scenarios. Its hp that wins races. More HP means more torque to the ground as the gearing is better with higher revs. Think about really hefty turbodiesels with huge torque at low revs. It not going to beat a lower torque engine with more HP up to 7000 rmps unless the torque difference is HUGE with similar weight.
79 930: HX40S#16, MS3pro+ID1000+044+E85, Ignition: 123/TUNE/MSD6A, True split BB, 2*turbosmart38
Old 05-31-2018, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
I believe Aschen hit on a key point. Up until the early 2000's you could have a modded 930, hell I had a 500 hp (crank) '71 Corvette and it was still fast compared to what you could buy off of the lot. However engine and suspension technology has progressed to the point that you cannot not realistically keep up with a modern car, ... new Corvette, Camaro, Mustang etc. But that's not really the point anymore. They are just more fun in their own way!

Good thing I just moved to Houston as it sounds like there are a few like minded Turbo nuts out there!

BTW, in a moment of weakness I recently test drove a 996 GT3, thinking I needed to replace an old airhead. I was disappointed to say the least, my 930 just felt faster. I doubt, and of course the suspension on the GT3 would be better ... I kept the 930 and the 914-6 and ended up with a '71 911T. I went backwards in the horsepower race! My wife did not get it!
Old 06-01-2018, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Banned

At the end Lighter=Faster.,
Joaquin.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
I don’t see any point in modding them, back in the day 280hp and sub 6 to 60 was insane. Dan gurneys 930 turbo road test in 1979 was an epic write up. But that’s just me. Too cheap and easy these days to get big horsepower from a Chev.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventino68 View Post
Dan gurneys 930 turbo road test in 1979 was an epic write up. But thatís just me. Too cheap and easy these days to get big horsepower from a Chev.
I'd like to read that if you have a link.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: