Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Any suggestions for enclosed shipping?

Holy smokes, trying to arrange shipping from Sarasota to Spokane, Washington is not an easy task. On my second broker, with no suggestion as to when they will be able to arrange an enclosed courier. Has anyone had luck in the past with shipping across country?

Part of me fears I may be driving the 88 930 cross country and I suspect the car will make it fine, but not my back.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
2017 Ford F150 Raptor
Old 06-05-2018, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What about Sarasota to Phoenix? ;-)
email: info@turbokraft.com
http://www.facebook.com/TurboKraft - http://www.instagram.com/TurboKraft
Old 06-05-2018, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboKraft View Post
What about Sarasota to Phoenix? ;-)
That's probably the right move! It feels wrong not to drive her first before she goes under the knife.
2017 Ford F150 Raptor
Old 06-05-2018, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Have had good service from Intercity, and would use them again.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

My friends have used both Intercity and Reliable Carriers, they were happy campers with both companies.
Too many Miata's to count.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I used Intercity to get mine from Penn. to central WA. No issues, good communication. Not cheap :-)
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Drive it! I drove mine from Boston to LA, then to San Francisco and back to LA. With a lengthy detour in Minnesota, North Dakota, the Rockies and a week at Yellowstone. This was in 2017, when the car turned 40. It was a solo drive, and a pleasure from one coast to the other. The only dark spots were a bit of bad gas in Buffalo and one of the air injection plugs fell out in Yellowstone. Make sure your AC is working at least as well as it can before you set out. R12 helps. So do audiobooks.

Here we are at Yellowstone Lake. Note original rally ride height is correct and helpful on dirt roads.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the recommendations guys! I tried Intercity but was told they no route from Florida to Pacific Northwest. I paid a $200 dollar deposit to Montway last week and the discussion today with them was a bit discouraging, although they did say initially up to 5 business days to find a courier (which will be tomorrow). I will check into Reliable carriers.

Tom, that is an amazing photo and I love the red interior. The cross country drive may be the only option but I fear with my work schedule I may have to try and grind it out over 3 days. Great advice on the AC. The engine is modified as well, but I would imagine when driven responsibly, it would bang out a cross country drive no problem.
2017 Ford F150 Raptor
Old 06-05-2018, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

One suggestion, having used about a dozen carriers.

Ask if they will guarantee door to door shipping in one truck. They may unload and reload your car a few times en route to accommodate other stops, and that's normal and to be expected.

But when I had my 930 shipped from San Diego to east coast, they off loaded the car for a few days in a warehouse in SF and then another truck picked it up. HQ never mentioned this to me - the delivering driver told me. Car was fine.

It's not an outrage by any means, but I would prefer one truck, no storage, and better communication, and I made a mental note not to use them again, even though the owner used to race a 935.
73 TR6
Old 06-06-2018, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Intercity is the gold standard.
'78 930 #441
'87 951
Old 06-06-2018, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I bought a slantnose and had it shipped. The car shipped from Phoinex to Austin enclosed. I used one of those services and they connected me to a driver. He called me on Monday saying he was picking it up on Tuesday. Picked it up yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon around 4-5 pm. My car arrived today at 3 pm! He is based on west coast. He was on his way to Florida after dropping my car off to drop another one off. Then back west. This maybe your lucky day if you catch him. Pm me if you want his number.
And the service was top notch. I have shipped many cars in the past. This was by far the easiest.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
If Intercity won't, and something falls through with Reliable, you can also try Horseless Carriage. They also have a good reputation on F-Chat, IIRC.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks fellas! I just heard back today, car will be picked up on the 11th and here on the 18th. I am incredibly excited. Rostami, congrats on the slantnose, I want one badly also. I had a dream yesterday I was driving a 935 around an ice rink. Entirely non-sensical, I wonder what Freud would say about that.
2017 Ford F150 Raptor
Old 06-07-2018, 09:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Intercity told me they would pick up next week. For six weeks in a row!

Then I asked about their guaranteed pickup date option. They told me I didn't want that!

It would be better to let the business go to a different carrier than to constantly lie to the customer.
92 Corvette - Nitto NT01
Old 06-08-2018, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
beancounter

Having been both on the shipping and receiving end of a number of vehicle transports, all I can add here is you shouldn’t expect it to be like an Amazon.com order. I have been surprised with early arrivals, waited hours or days beyond scheduled pick up, and been completely unable to find anyone who will take a job (forcing me to handle the transport personally).

As an example Mr. Houghton’s car was supposed to ship from PA, but the driver called me an asked if I could bring the car to NJ for pickup as it would fit better in his schedule and that way he could insure it wouldn’t need to be moved at all on the Journey to Eastern Washington. I agreed and then had to scramble to transport an unregistered car 85 miles.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I had a 66 Shelby 350H delivered many years ago. The driver called me at 3am Christmas Eve morning and said "we are five miles from your house come get the car". So wife and I had to get up, go meet truck, and then I drove a loud, supercharged, unlicensed car home.

If it hadn't been the Christmas season, I would have been annoyed. But it was that time of the year, and I was stoked about the car, so my wife made an enormous ham sandwich and flask of coffee for the driver.
73 TR6
Old 06-11-2018, 02:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: