Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 / 930 Turbo & Super Charging Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Bilstein Clunking after 28k miles

Rant.

Got new shocks about 7 years and 28k miles ago. Now the front right shock is clunking badly at slow speed but otherwise I'm happy with the car's handling.

I called Bilstein warranty dept, call answered by tech dept. He says he can't tell for sure without seeing the shock but that the clunk is almost certainly from worn out sliders.

The car had old bilsteins on it when I bought it and they didn't clunk, what gives?

Tech said they put fewer bronze sliders in their now so the shocks don't last as long.

Sorta wished I'd sent my old shocks in before to get them rebuilt instead of buying new ones. Maybe I send them in now? Warranty guy says the problem with sending them in is that the current turnaround is 14-16 WEEKS.

Some sorta joke I think?
Old 06-11-2018, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I had a clunking noise in my pass front and it turned out to be a rubber bushing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2018, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Interesting about the sliders. Thanks for passing that info along.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Are you sure it's the shock and not something else? Check all the bolts and nuts are there and tight.
The special bolt and locknut in the bottom of the strut that holds the bottom end of the shock in place should not be reused. The bolt can be a little bent after tightening them once. Porsche says don't reuse them.
I'd save the nut for the coffee can collection of used but not used up nuts ;0
Old 06-13-2018, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFairman View Post
Are you sure it's the shock and not something else? Check all the bolts and nuts are there and tight.
The special bolt and locknut in the bottom of the strut that holds the bottom end of the shock in place should not be reused. The bolt can be a little bent after tightening them once. Porsche says don't reuse them.
I'd save the nut for the coffee can collection of used but not used up nuts ;0
Took the car in for alignment and that's what they said. I'll get the shocks back so I'll see. The Bilstein service guy wasn't surprised at all to hear it was clunking (which surprised me.)

14-16 weeks though... What the heck? I got a full mtb fork rebuild at fox including sliders and their turnaround was a day.

And here I am paying more money for their product, clearly they don't need to care.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: