Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Reunion of sorts

Back in the early 90's I had the "pleasure" (term used loosely) of working at Andial in the race engine dept. My main responsibility was to dyno test each engine built, riding shotgun with "Herr Springer". This was during the 962C IMSA days.

I had the good fortune to meet and work with some amazing people. Dieter "I", one of the 3 owners who I have great respect for, Rich Creedon, Steve Becker, Eric "B" to name a few.

Today, I remain good friends with Rich and Steve and the three of us have taken on a "home built" project to rebuild a street 930 engine. This is a project we are doing together not as business project, but as a opportunity to catch back up and relive some of the times spent building engines at Andial. Rich and Steve along with Eric were the main engine builders at the time. Hopefully between the three of us, we can remember how to do this and not screw it up!!!

This has allowed me to escape the rigors of the daily grind here at PD, and have some fun on the weekends. I am able to become that DIY engine guy I envy many here.

The engine currently has the bottom end assembled and we have taken many photographs along the way. I will post some of these in the upcoming days. We will document all of the work done and the work still to be done. It will show how we do things, how easy this work is when you understand what and how to do it.

It is hoped that we can entice Dieter and Eric to join us on a Saturday when its time to complete the assembly. Maybe with free beer and food they will come.

I will post some of the pics and work done to date and keep the pics and info flowing as we progress.

The engine will be sold at its completion with full documentation.

Neil
Performance Developments
Old 08-20-2018, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Kartoffelkopf

Garage
Can't wait to see more, Neil!!

[grabs popcorn]
1993 (MY92) 964 Turbo 3.3 - Horizon Blue - Follow my 964 Turbo project here... http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-engine-rebuilding-forum/626572-964-3-3-turbo-efi-conversion-using-syvecs-life-racing-engine-management.html
On Instagram (along with other stuff) as @spenny_.b #spennybengineproject
Old 08-20-2018, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sounds like a great time.I would love to see the masters at work.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2018, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Neil, you should have some one video your progress. Mark
2017 Golf Sportwagon 4motion
Old 08-21-2018, 02:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Just keep your clothes on.Haha

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2018, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

This def needs to be video documented. Properly lubricated, Iím sure some great stories will fly!
Old 08-24-2018, 03:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

We have the bottom end together and have many photos of the work done up to this point. As soon as I figure out how to post them I will.

So far all of the cleaning is complete, fasteners plated, the measuring and crack checking all done, case measured, main bearings modified, coated, fitted and measured, Rods rebuilt, balanced, rod bearings fitted and measured, crank checked for straight, straightened, mag,ed, polished and balanced, Oil pump gears mag'ed, end clearances checked, assembled, lower case assembly assembled and crank end play checked.

Something we found and did this deliberately as we had read a lot about the bearings made in Sth Africa being of low quality. We found the mains ok and they measured within tolerance, our tolerance.

But the rod bearings had issues. The tang broached into the bearing created a high spot adjacent to the tang and on assembly tightened up the bearing clearance. A simple check on each shell and some careful hand fettling fixed this issue. If you use these bearings watch out for this.

One of the by products of having the three of us here at the same time building this engine is, we stand around and remember stories and giggle like kids. "Do you remember when …….". One story reminds you of another. I have not laughed so much in years. Some would never be believed. Most are about or include our "leader" at the time. Many of the stories include how the rebuild work was performed and controlled. I still have a lot of the written memo's and directives, which we had a great laugh over. Some I shake my head at now and cannot believe we did, other than wanting to go home each night without being "shot at dawn by firing squad".
Old 09-09-2018, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Click the “POST REPLY” and all the info for loading the pictures is there.
Bruce
Old 09-09-2018, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: