Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Extra oil hole under bearing?! Or is this standard?

Removed my bearings today and found and extra hole under my third or fourth bearing (sorry have forgotten already!) on oil cooler side of case. It's a 3.0 SC 930 case.
It looks like an actual oil hole. I couldn't tell where it went or if it was infact all the way through. Could it just be a casting fault? It doesn't appear that it's caused any bearing issue on the back of the bearing. These appear to be the original 1983 bearings.
I would note that next to this bearing it looks like something has given way at some point in the case. See the photo with the gouges in the case.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2018, 02:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Still looking for ideas as to why this hole is here...
There is staining on the bearing where the hole is - the same as where the stock hole is... I'm assuming oil is getting through.

My two ideas are that it's either been drilled previously (which seems unlikely as it's not really a neat hole and WHY?) or it's a engine case casting defect.

If it's been there since new, I'm guessing no intervention is required... however could this somehow affect oil pressure if oil is infact flowing through?
Old 08-28-2018, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I agree with you that it’s probably a defect in the case. My initial thought was that the oil pressure in there could cause a problem, but I don’t think so. There’s oil pressure on the backside of the bearing already due to the main oil hole. I would just ignore it and build the engine as normal.

-Andy
Old 08-28-2018, 09:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

"Cross-drilled crank" modification done?
Old 08-29-2018, 03:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Espeseth View Post
"Cross-drilled crank" modification done?
I didn't look specifically, but I don't think i noticed it.
Pretty strange spot for a defect. I'm surprised something like that would get past Porsche quality control when they inspect the cases. Pretty obvious!
Old 09-03-2018, 11:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

If your talking about the spec under the oil hole then yes that looks like a casting defect. Some oil got under it and tinted the bearing. Nothing to worry about. Stick a pin in it and check the depth. If its shallow, which it looks like its nothing to worry about.
92 318i
etc, etc, etc
Old 09-04-2018, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: