Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

could use advice on fuel distributor rebuild

Hi everyone
I am considering rebuilding the fuel distributor off my 1977 930. It could be a DIY project or I may send it out. You Tube makes it seem like a feasible DIY project. Am I being deceived? Are there hidden pitfalls and I should stay totally away? I am seeing $100 rebuild kits out there. Are they any good? The next option would be to send it out. I just watched a video where the mechanic installed a refurbished unit and it was worse than the one he sent in. Who out there does quality work?

Any advice or help would be appreciated so thanks in advance.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Subscribed...

I was curious about this too... my distributor was working fine, but itís out of the car 2 years. Wouldnít mind flushing it but donít want to cause any problems...

Any easy way to check a distributor for good function out of the car?
Old 04-18-2019, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kejordan View Post
Hi everyone
I am considering rebuilding the fuel distributor off my 1977 930. It could be a DIY project or I may send it out. You Tube makes it seem like a feasible DIY project. Am I being deceived? Are there hidden pitfalls and I should stay totally away? I am seeing $100 rebuild kits out there. Are they any good? The next option would be to send it out. I just watched a video where the mechanic installed a refurbished unit and it was worse than the one he sent in. Who out there does quality work?

Any advice or help would be appreciated so thanks in advance.
I had a problem with mine a few weeks ago. I wouldn't try opening it up. If they sit for a long time, they can get gummed up but you may be able to get it working again.

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/1025067-injector-flowing-key-76-911s-cis.html

Mine seems to be working now. I have a cold start problem and that's probably something other than the fuel distributor.

Last edited by otto_kretschmer; 04-18-2019 at 05:48 PM..
Old 04-18-2019, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the link. Quite a war story over there. I'm going to try just running a few tanks of gas with some injector cleaner. If that doesn't work, I am leaning toward sending it out for a rebuild. The part is 40 years old after all. Sooo, who do we trust?
Old 04-19-2019, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

flowtech seems to be the place to send your fuel distributor for rebuild

CIS Flowtech - Rebuilding Bosch Fuel Distributors & Warm-Up Regulators

you may try testing your system before sending it out

pull all 6 injectors and have them spray into an empty clear plastic bottle, turn the motor over for some time, maybe 30 seconds, measure each amount of fuel with a graduated cylinder

if all injectors are flowing, more or less, the same your fuel distributor probably is working
Old 04-19-2019, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the link and the advice.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
914-6Werkshop

Tony Donato / Boy911SC is the guy for rebuilding FD & WUR. He's on this site and has done many for us. All work perfectly.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Taking an FD apart isn't hard. Putting it back together so is doesn't leak is another story. There are six fragile rubber rings around the six distribution slits. These all have to be in place when you slide things back together, and even gluing them in place with a bit of grease doesn't mean you won't dislodge at least one. It is sort of like putting the cylinder on over the piston rings, but with six to worry about all at once. Then there is the question of whether you got your large stainless sheet, which separates the top and bottom half of the unit, sealed. If you don't have a way of bench testing the FD, you only find out if there is a leak after installing in the car, which is a PITA in its self, what with the close together fuel fittings on the backside where you can't see what you are doing.
So you can do it. The question is, is it worth trying, and maybe retrying, and retrying again?

I've got one as a spare I may eventually retry if I can figure out a straight forward way to use a spare fuel pump to get the pressure needed, and how to deal with other issues (like holding the plunger in place, and capping the injector line holes, and a fuel return, and whether kerosene is what you want to use for testing, etc.).
Old 04-23-2019, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: