Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Mark

Garage
Pilot Bearing

Will the pilot bearing come out without the removal of the flywheel?

Old 12-13-2019, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2019, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Mark

Garage
Best way to remove? Seems stuck in there pretty good.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Are you going to use it again?
Bruce
Old 12-14-2019, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Mark

Garage
Bruce,
I plan to replace pilot bearing as there's some dirt and grime in the bearing. I grabbed with a pair of channel lock and tried to wiggle it out but nothing. Just trying to avoid taking flywheel off as I understand bolts difficult to get off and can easily strip.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
A bit brutal, but I've whacked them with a hammer and punch. Then pull out with small v scrips.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have used this method using grease to remove pilot bearings. Once the initial pressure broke it free it came right-out. I used some rubber gloves on the end of the punch to make a better seal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TBZH5R4Cno

john
Old 12-14-2019, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Mark

Garage
Went ahead and took flywheel off couldn't get bearing out. On another note, is replacing the pulley seal and fly wheel seal an issue and any tips? Seals look in decent shape and want to make sure won't have any issues replacing in place. I appreciate the help.

Old 12-14-2019, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
You can also use a bar of soap! Cut it into sections just big enough to fit into the hole, then beat the soap piece into the hole with hammer. If you need more pressure you can then use 3/8" ratchet extension to finish beating the soap into the hole.

Rahl
Old 12-15-2019, 09:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Use lock tight on those flywheel bolts when you reinstall them. Should probably use new bolts also.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Stranger on the Internet

@subseamark
Those areas pf the case appear pretty dry, unless you have already cleaned them off. I would leave it alone.

Old 12-25-2019, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: