Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Stranger on the Internet

Hydraulic tensioner spacers

Hi all
I am refitting a 2.7 engine with later Carrera hydraulic tensioners, Regarding spacers, I believe that the "gap" between the old idler's to the tensioner are approximately 8mm---thus, I would need a spacer ring which is 8mm wide.

I am seeing various information here regarding the actual width of the spacers. If the spacer ring is not wide enough to keep the idler from walking away from the chain, why bother with a spacer? Just curious to the rationale.

Thanks!
Pat

Old 12-20-2019, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Get updated idler arms which are sturdier and no spacer required. Henry Schmidt will reconfigure yours. Bob
Old 12-20-2019, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Aluminum thick spacer plus a washer......

Quote:
Originally Posted by patkeefe View Post
Hi all
I am refitting a 2.7 engine with later Carrera hydraulic tensioners, Regarding spacers, I believe that the "gap" between the old idler's to the tensioner are approximately 8mm---thus, I would need a spacer ring which is 8mm wide.

I am seeing various information here regarding the actual width of the spacers. If the spacer ring is not wide enough to keep the idler from walking away from the chain, why bother with a spacer? Just curious to the rationale.

Thanks!
Pat

Pat,

My 78 track car does not have the wider idler gear for the Carrera tensioner. So I installed a thick aluminum spacer and added a washer to get the desired spacer thickness. My son and I shared this car on the tracks for several years with satisfactory results. If I would do this again, I will use bronze instead of aluminum spacers.

Or if you want your idler gears broadened, send it to CGARR. I had a few narrow idler gears converted by Craig. How is the weather in FL? Next time I go to Sarasota, I will come and visit you. Take care my friend.

Tony
Old 12-20-2019, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I just did this to my '76 3.0... added a bronze shim between the aluminum spacer and the tensioner.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Stranger on the Internet

I will have to fab up a couple of spacers on my lathe. I'll pick up some bronze rod on Monday. I have no spacers at all at the moment.
Old 12-20-2019, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Stranger on the Internet

I built two aluminum spacer rings approximately 25 mm OD and 11 mm thick to insert on the tensioner post. I really have no idea why there needs to be a spacer ring there, other than Porsche shows one in the PET, and Pelican et al sell one. The ones we can buy are only about 8 mm thick. In theory, as far as I can tell, they do nothing.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
The force from the tensioner on the idler wheel is cantilevered... not a great design. Those spacers will help prevent side to side movement on the shaft. That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it! And that's why I added additional bronze spacers.

Old 12-27-2019, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: