Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Slippery Slope Expert

Garage
Engine Oil Lines

Just curious; has anyone made a “preemptive strike” and replaced the engine oil lines that have a hose attached? After all most of them are pretty old - my SC would be 38 years. And the rubber parts are pretty hard and inflexible at this point.

Just wondering, since this is a potential reliability issue and at the moment at least the parts are available and relatively inexpensive.

Old 09-28-2020, 03:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Yes.
The cam lines are cheap enough to just buy new.
The big oil lines I just cut the crimps off with a dremel, and used either 12 or 16 AN hose (forgot which) and doubled up hose clamps on the originally crimped fittings. These refurbished lines have been in service for 7 or 8 years and 50,000 miles including many track days, with no issues.
I used stainless braided, but after many cuts from stray wires every time I undo a line for some reason, I would be inclined to use the aramid covered lines next time around.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Puny Bird

Some Cohline you can wrench off the ferrule with a strap wrench, carefully cut off off the hose and replace the hose reusing the fittings.
I know Stoddards sells new Cohline bulk hose, our host may sell it as well.
Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
It's a 914 ...

Don't use common hose clamps on pressurized oil lines (which I believe is all of them except the main feed from the tank to the engine - that's a suction line). It's asking for trouble.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

I replaced the lines off the thermostat on an 80 last week. They were original and I had to diagonally cut the nut to split it then chisel to free the steel from the aluminum of the thermostat
Bruce
Old 09-28-2020, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I disagree with Stowenson on the suitability of hose clamps on the oil lines. Depending on your budget and inclination, many things can be repaired in a non-original way and they will work just fine. There are reasons to use crimps other than functionality - cost and ease of assembly being two of them, more even and robust clamping pressure is another.

But you should do some research on this forum and maybe elsewhere and make up your own mind - you will be stuck with either the parts bill or the oily mess

Just for reference, here are my lines, along with the "thou shalt not" copper plumbing parts repair to the rigid oil line. The photo is dated 2008, which actually suggests more than 60 track days and >60,000 miles of usage.

Old 09-28-2020, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

It's a 914 ...

That should fail a proper track tech. I'm about saving a few bucks whenever possible. Hose clamps on pressure oil lines is still a no-no.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

The scavange oil lines are actually volume oil lines, not pressure lines but for less than $100 each, why take a chance.
Bruce
Old 09-28-2020, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Puny Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat6pac View Post
The scavange oil lines are actually volume oil lines, not pressure lines but for less than $100 each, why take a chance.
Bruce
Correct the only pressure on the scavenge oil lines is the oil filter and the t-stat, connectors, etc. There's often air in the scavenge side which would act as a cushion to pressure surges.
I personally have one clamp scavenge inlet at the tank, but it's a proper high pressure hose clamp, looks like a FI clamp on steroids.

Tank to engine I put in a Rothsprort oil check valve, using 911 S- hose which is a total mod to the 914. I made the T- fitting with an oil drain which adapts Cohline to Porsche S-hose that I cut for this application and the cooler I TIG welded a 1"NPT elbow to the return tube and made a 1"NPT to S-hose adaptor. The Rothsprort oil check valve came with two ABA (blue) hose clamps, way better than regular hose clamps and they don't cut the hose. I got the two extra ABA hose clamps from Belmetric, I'd have no issue using the smaller ABA clamps on FI.

I'm not worried about my solution or could give a poop that it's not what the factory did. Factory didn't put in a 3.0 twin plug as well.
Driving almost daily all summer.

Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girlfriend, so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.

Last edited by Mark Henry; 09-29-2020 at 08:05 AM..
Old 09-29-2020, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Well, the tank to engine line isn't a pressure line.
Some years ago, on another forum, someone wrote about the pressure he found on the scavange to external oil cooler line - he had somehow inserted a gauge. It was much higher than you might think for a line which topologically ends up in a tank at atmospheric pressure, or close to it. Lots of friction in the lines and fittings, I guess.

I do know that racing organizations (at least PCA ) forbid use of hose clamps on pressure lines, and that would include the scavenge line.

If you want to use the braided stainless or the aramid (which sounds reasonable in these applications, given that stock is rubber and doesn't need the protection of the steel sheath), you could use AN fittings on each end, and adapters to to the metric ends. I did that when adding a center oil radiator up front.

But that might be more expensive than just getting the new lines.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Expert

Garage
Wow! This has been an interesting thread to say the least. Glad I started it!

Thanks for all of the replies.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have tone of hose clamps in my fuel system, been there for 10+ years. I have replaced some hoses that have gotten brittle and cracked over the years (quality of fuel hoses not what they used to be).
Every time I've removed a clamp I have had to fight to remove the hose from the barb.
A crimped hose isn't bullet proof either, whey could be crimped both to loose or to hard.
924 -79 rat roddy...
931 -79 under total restoration...
Old 09-30-2020, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Porsche Crest

I have been "Re-Making" Porsche Fuel Hoses and Oil Lines for many years.

Since the Fittings are the expensive part and unless rusty they can be re-used, here is an example of a "Re-Hose" I do quite often...

This one was $60.

I also make up custom oil Hoses when a hose is NLA or a unique layout like this is needed....

Please email me for info.

Len.Cummings at verizon.net

Old 10-02-2020, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Expert

Garage
I can vouch for Len; he did some custom fuel hoses for me and they are great.

Before I ship any lines though I’m going to take my lines by the local Parker-Hannefin shop and see if they can replace the soft lines. I would think it a piece of cake for them. They fabricated hydraulic hoses all the time that run a lot higher pressures than these.
Old 10-03-2020, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Porsche Crest

A word of caution with the local Hydraulic shops and the Crimp Jaws they use.

Many have jaws that are too wide/long and crush the hose at the bump meant to retain the hose...

Here is an example of the correct sleeve and Jaw combination...

Len

Old 10-03-2020, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I like the idea of over the trans. Crossover oil line. Wish I would of saw this before purchasing a new under trans line. Very nice!

Old 10-03-2020, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: