Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Is this a bad cylinder gasket?

Hi

I have a 2.4T engine with 2.2S pistons.
There was some oil leaking and I decided to rebuild the engine.
I see the top of the cylinder inner ring is really sooty and the cylinder head sealing ring is totally broke ( the spring is coming out hundreds of pieces)

Old 02-21-2021, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
Victor-Reintz make some pretty low quality CE rings and in the 84mm size they were too thick. This additional thickness prevented a proper head to cylinder seal.
The cylinder actually seals metal to metal with the gasket more of an oil seal than a compression.
If the cylinder to head is not metal to metal, the head stability will be compromised.
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 02-21-2021, 11:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Thank you for help Henry!
Is there any way to measure the head and the cylinder seat together correctly? maybe the start thickness of the CE ring?
Other question:
The engine is the follow
2.4T engine with 2.2S pistons and E camshaft. The heads are 35/33mm opened.
The car is really weak under 4000RPM, can it be the too big intake ports?
The MFI throttle underside is also opened to 35mm.

Last edited by himizoli; 02-22-2021 at 06:39 AM..
Old 02-22-2021, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

I tiered to measure the gap between the cylinder and the head
Old 02-23-2021, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by himizoli View Post
Thank you for help Henry!
Is there any way to measure the head and the cylinder seat together correctly? maybe the start thickness of the CE ring?
Other question:
The engine is the follow
2.4T engine with 2.2S pistons and E camshaft. The heads are 35/33mm opened.
The car is really weak under 4000RPM, can it be the too big intake ports?
The MFI throttle underside is also opened to 35mm.
Your issue could be a number of things.
Too little cam for the compression is one thought.
MFI tuning (generally too rich) is another.
Ignition timing still another. I find that these little MFI engines love timing. Although the higher compression (9.8:1 ?) will challenge the ability to run more advance, we find they really like 34-36 degrees better than the suggested 30 degrees you might imagine for the "S" pistons.
Higher compression will want to detonate but the (always) rich mixture of the MFI
mitigate some of the compression effect.
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 02-23-2021, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
It's a 914 ...

Is that taken by torqueing down the head? It looks like .004" (.1 mm)? That's a big gap.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by stownsen914 View Post
Is that taken by torqueing down the head? It looks like .004" (.1 mm)? That's a big gap.
Yes the head was torqued down in 2 steps 10Nm and 32Nm
This was a Victor Reinz product, now I tiered to get Elring
Old 02-24-2021, 01:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Follow Henry's advice , do not use the V. R. CE rings , buy Porsche rings from the dealer .
Old 02-24-2021, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

The 'spring' in the VR gasket is too strong and prevents the ring from squishing down as intended? I have VR sealing rings in my 2.4 and just finished timing the cams. I'm not excited about tearing it down if I don't have to...
Old 03-01-2021, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

I hate to tell you , but I would if it was me . V. R,'s do not fully compress in my experience . The combustion gases and heat will soon deteriorate the C E rings because of the space remaining between the cylinder head and cylinder .
Old 03-01-2021, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
What cylinders are you using. Reason I ask is because there is a set 84mm aftermarket that had a shallow head gasket groove. When tightening the head it would crush the gasket to pieces then head would leak.
Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

OEM heads and barrels from 1973.

Old Yesterday, 10:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: