Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to HawgRyder
I looked into the McMaster catalog...and found some washers that had sealant bonded to them.
I wonder if they would work on the case bolts to seal them.
The temperature range seems to be a little low (up to 250F).
Any ideas?
Bob
Old 10-30-2003, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Warren Hall Student

Garage
I've noticed that the o-rings on the bolt head washers are the ones that suffer the most from the washer turning so if you make sure that the bolt doesn't turn when you torque the acorn nut it helps alleviate problems with the o-ring. I know this may be obvious but I thought it worth mentioning.

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____
Old 10-30-2003, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Banned

A Group HUG!??

WOW!

I take any hug I can get.

Unfortunately consolodation in the auto industry has gone to unprecedented lengths. It would be interesting to show who owns who now days. Its really scarry as there may be no diversity in the near future.

Last edited by snowman; 10-30-2003 at 08:12 PM..
Old 10-30-2003, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Aaaargh, crappy through bolt O-rings claim another victim

I'd just put the last cylinder on when I noticed the through bolt O-ring squeezing out.

I talked to my mechanic buddy and told him I'd never had this problem before. He said "Yes you did, you just didn't notice it."

He said he didn't have this problem with the old red ones but the blue ones that come with the gasket kits now tend to do this.

I ordered a bunch of the Viton ones. 45 cents each!

I thought about doing the silicone under the washer trick but I just can't bring myself to do it. Call it religious.

-Chris
Old 06-18-2004, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

blue orings suck!
Old 06-18-2004, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
Slumlord

one word: 'viton'.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
We build all of our early engines with green Viton o-ring and assemble with a light film of mil spec Dow silicone lubricant. We use this product on all o-ring applications. If the sealing surface on the case where the conical washer rides is deformed we resurface it as with all deformed sealing surfaces on the engine. Valve covers, chain boxes, chain box covers, breather cover, cam towers generally they all can use a light surfacing.
We use the blue o-rings on all C2 type cases (964/993). If you are having trouble sealing the through bolts on 964 cases you may have one of the recall cases that were machined wrong. There was a recall on those cases and the bulletin calls for two o-ring on each stepped washer. Check with PP first. If you have trouble finding green Viton seals we have them in stock.
Good luck

Email: supertec1@earthlink.net

Last edited by Henry Schmidt; 06-18-2004 at 04:31 PM..
Old 06-18-2004, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Harry,
Why do you use the blue ones on 964's?
-Chris
Old 06-20-2004, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
When Porsche redesigned the case through bolts and washers (964 and later) they also redesigned the o-rings. Can you use green o-rings on 964, sure. do you need to ? no. Will blue o-rings work on early cases? yes but be careful. Do we use blue o-rings on early cases? no
Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 06-20-2004, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Thanks Henry!
-Chris
Old 06-20-2004, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

O-ring problem and my solution

When last we left our hero he had a serious case of the blues, blue squished out O-rings that is.

A friend and I undid the O-ring evilness today. I took some pictures.

The Problem

Normally to fix this you you'd need to use two piece O-rings or remove the pistons and cylinders. Luckily for me, the Raceware head studs I used are installed (per their directions) without Loctite. With the studs removed I could pull the cylinder out far enough to clear the case but without pulling it off the piston. Then I tipped the P&C out of the way to access the through bolts.

I replaced the troublesome blue O-rings with the green Viton O-rings. I did wreck 2 of the green ones so they aren't fool proof but they seem more "idiot compensating". Even the 2 green ones that failed didn't split up and squish out like the blue ones did. I don't think they would have leaked but they kept the washer from seating on the case.

Because I had it, I used the 964 tool to slide the O-rings over the through bolt threads. It made it a little easier and who knows, maybe it saved the O-rings from getting nicks and tears.

-Chris

P.S. Look for used O-rings on Ebay in the near future.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Why bevelled on one side and not the other?

As "Bobboloo" pointed out, the O-rings under the bolt heads seem to be more likely to squish out. I think I know why.

The nut side of the case has a nice bevel:

Notice the lack of bevel on the bolt head side of the case:

Why didn't Porsche put a bevel on the bolt head side? Would it be a good idea to add it when it's at the machine shop for other work?

-Chris
Old 06-27-2004, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Chris, where did you get the 964 O-ring tool?

johnc911@gmail.com
www.cupcar.net
Old 06-28-2004, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

i went to a hobby shop and got a short length of thin wall brass tubing that just fit over the stud. when it's cut with a tubing cutter, a nice rounded bevel is formed on the end.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by john_colasante
Chris, where did you get the 964 O-ring tool?
I saw an add on eBay from ZDMAK tools I hadn't bought anything from them before or since.
I can post a picture of the tool if you want. I forget the tool #.
-Chris
Old 06-28-2004, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Banned

I would suggest that our sponser sell these orings, in bulk for say a quarter each, or even less, for a mininum of 50ea plus postage and $2 handeling. Thats a reasonable offer. Bulk prices on these o rings are way down there and there is no way to justify the high prices charged other than to state the quantity is low. Since these things are all the same size why not give the guys on the board a break on a communal item. Give up a couple cents for good will and gain a few bucks overall.

Last edited by snowman; 11-09-2004 at 09:46 PM..
Old 11-09-2004, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: