Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to Groovy911SC
Metal in oil sump screen in my SC 3.0

I have been working on my engine noise problem this weekend. After sucessful compression tests, I determined that my problem was the failed chain tensioner. The chain was loose and they were not the carerra tensioners in the engine at that time. With the down time I did many projects, the last (today) was the replacing the gasket on the sump cover where the oil drain is located. After disassembling the drain cover, the sump screen came out as well. I decided to clean all parts in gas to make them look as good as possible after the gasket was replaced. When I looked at the screen I did not notice anything peculiar. After examining the container I soaked parts in I noticed small bits of copper looking material. These fragments are small but large enough not to pass through the sump screen. The fragmants are about 2mm x 2mm and thin. There are a couple of fragments that are about 5mm x 4mm (shavings) and are silver in color unlike the other fragments which are copper/bronze in color.
Could a valve guide gotten chewed up? Perhaps a bearing started to come apart? Any ideas would be appreciated!
Old 11-30-2003, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hate to say it, but it sounds like a bearing. If you still have your oil around, you may want to have it analyzed.

Arnie
Old 11-30-2003, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Tim Walsh
hm.. only place I can think of that would be copperish in a 911 engine would be bearings.. a full rebuild would be in order.
"Dave, hit the brakes, but don't look like your htting the brakes...what? I DON'T KNOW, BRAKE CASUAL!!!" dtw's thoughts after nearly rear ending a SHP officer
Old 11-30-2003, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Groovy911SC
Thanks Tim, Thanks Arnie,
I suspected that finding metal bits behind the sump screen is bad news.

Anyone have a used engine stand and adapter they wanna sell??
Old 11-30-2003, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hi:

Bearings, valve guides, and the distributor drive gear on the crankshaft are similar in color and can all appear the same.

I'd suggest that you very carefully cut open the oil filter, lay out all the paper nice & flat and examine the pleats in close detail.
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 11-30-2003, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: