Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest High RPMs

My 85 Carerra shows 3300 RPM at about 75 mph in 5th gear. I would like to lower the rpms to around 2800 @ the same speed.
Can I change the 5th gear ratio. I also have a tired syncro in first gear. Otherwise the trans is excellent. What are other things I should look for/upgrade while I have the trans out.

Thanks

Larry H
Old 11-30-2003, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 1fastredsc
That's the 915 trans, so the "tired" first gear syncro is probably due to the fact that most of these trans don't like going back into first gear until at a dead stop. Fifth would be much easier to change simply because it only requires opening the back cover off the trans to expose both fifth and reverse. If you really want to replace first syncro than you might as well do the other syncros 2-3 which means it's basically a full trans rebuild.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thumbs up Thanks

1fast red sc,
Thank you for the info. I haven't been through New Mexico in many years but I remember the beautiful scenery.
Larry H
Old 12-01-2003, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: