Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > 911 Engine Rebuilding Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

JE Piston Circlips

I've just spent a very frustrating afternoon trying to insert the JE circlips into my new JE pistons. I thought installing the rings was going to be difficult, but compared to the JE circlips it was a piece of cake. These JE circlips are just impossible to install without deforming them, and this is on my workbench. I don't think you would be able to use them to install the piston on the con rod. I tried every combination of needle nose pliers and small screwdriver I could think of and nothing works. I ended up with 3 installed but I can see that they don't seat properly all the way around. I scratched up the sides of the piston around the wrist pin hole as well. I think I will ditch these circlips and get a set of new Porsche ones. I'am damn sure they weren't this stiff and unmanageable when I removed the original ones. Anyone else have the same experience.

Cheers
2000 Subaru WRX
Old 07-09-2004, 11:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What type are they, wire or spiralox? SOunds like wire, they are a real pain. Use a small jewelers screwdriver with a notch cut out of the top. Get as much of the clip in around the bore by hand as you can, hold it there with your finger, and near the end of the clip that is sticking out still, hook the screwdrivers end under there, and work it up and forward while pushing it into the hole with your thumb. Oh yeah, make sure you do it in a quiet area, because if one shoots out, you will need to listen very carefully as to where it lands.

Also, if you have bent up the old ones, or already installed them, you CANNOT reuse them. Order a new set and start again, if your smart you will order an extra set just in case you have any more trouble or shoot one off into some unknown corner of your garage. They have to sit completely in the groove.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
No Expert

Garage
Yup, it is a pain. The small screwdrive in the pin notch is they way to go. It takes practice. I found that having the wrist pin in place makes it a bit easier by guiding the clip into the groove. You can do half of them on the bench, so make sure you have it down before you try it on the engine. It's not that much more difficult on the engine.

Good luck,

JP

Last edited by jgparker; 07-10-2004 at 06:12 AM..
Old 07-10-2004, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
SCWDP President

Quote:
Originally posted by garibaldi
Also, if you have bent up the old ones, or already installed them, you CANNOT reuse them.
Christian is right on here.
In the "Mechanical Mayhem Files", I have a shot of what happens when a circlip fails and the wristpin backs out.

BTW, there are tools made for installing the circlips. At the m/c shop, we use one made by Kent-Moore. Works very well. However, you'd hardly want to spend the $300 to buy it for occasional use.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

PJMARKOW,
I rally sympathize with you. I put JE pistons in my 2.7 last year. Those little rings are a real pain. I ended up notching a screw driver blade to catch and hold the clip to push it into place.
This little project deserves a simple tool to install these little rings.
I have an idea for a tool if I was doing this more frequently.
How about anyone out there willing to shed some light on this?
Old 07-10-2004, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I've use the JE's clip for one side of the piston on the bench and I use the easier/thinner Porsche ones on the other side when installing them on the rod. I'm waiting on a Porsche tool (P9500) for installing the wrist pin clips of 23mm wrist pins.
-Chris
Old 07-10-2004, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the input guys. The wounds on my hands thank you as well. Current plan is to order new Porsche clips (JE ones I can't get here in Australia easily). I found that even by easing the JE clips in with a small screwdriver, deformed them. Seems that they aren't as springy as the Porsch ones. The other thing is that the original pistons have the wrist pin hole sitting up slightly where as the JE ones are recessed making you bend the clip further to get it in.

Cheers
Paul
2000 Subaru WRX
Old 07-10-2004, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

generally, you push them in with your thumb, gap first, then pop the rounded end in with a small screwdriver to finish.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Paul,

Where did you buy the JE from?

Cheers

Mark...
Old 07-11-2004, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I bought them through EBS in the States. At the time I bought them Pelican didn't stock them but I think they do now. Check out Pelican and EBS web sites. I bought pistons for a 3 litre turbo with an increase in compression.
2000 Subaru WRX
Old 07-12-2004, 01:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I just order from Pelican 3.0 @10.5:1 NA. I think that the price at EBS was cheaper. However I ordered some other bits as well. Shopping around is good but unless you can consolidate the shipping the price goes through the roof. I tried to buy here is OZ, I looks like you just open your wallet and when it is empty they give you the pistons, same for SSI's.

Do you go to the local club?

Cheers

Mark..........
Old 07-12-2004, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: